An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Wedding Dress Orders (For Us Romantics)

InPersonaChriste

maximillion

My community had about 30, all swathed in tissue paper and carefully mothballed - they did away with the wedding dress ceremony while I was a Postulant.

The dresses had been donated over a period of time, some had antique lace trains and veils.

FutureSister2009

This may have been in here before and I dont feel like going through 13 pages to find it. Do the Franciscans of the Immaculate wear them?

dymphnamaria

This may have been in here before and I dont feel like going through 13 pages to find it. Do the Franciscans of the Immaculate wear them?

Yes, they do wear simple gowns.

OnlySunshine

I'm so excited for my friend entering the Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate later this month (May 31st, God-willing)!  I totally forgot that the FSIs wear wedding gowns to their investiture.  So beautiful and so much like St. Clare!  :)

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Did the sisters also wear this gowns when they were invested as novices?

No, they don't. The wedding gown goes back to the days when they didn't get the habit until profession. They wore a white veil with their postulant dress. Now they do get the habit at novitiate but they continue the wedding dress since it is the day of one's espousals to Christ.

I was privileged to make the crowns for a few. I couldn't wait until I would be doing the same thing...and then I became a Dominican!

OnlySunshine

I love the tradition of the Poor Clares to keep using the wedding dress.  If I could choose any cloister to enter (IF I entered religious life), it would be the Poor Clare Colettines.  ;)

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Well, if you are a Dominican you wear your baptismal gown/wedding dress everyday! :-)