An Old School Catholic Message Board

Trousseau For Carmel - What To Bring - Suggestions Welcome!

Aya Sophia

[quote name='MarieLynn' timestamp='1319133324' post='2324258']
We too looked like Julie Andrews, - dress, elbow length cape and net veil. Our list was very specific, no jamies, but convent nightdresses - 3 white cotton long sleeved full length monstrosities, ... two black calico petticoats. That list is indelibly printed on my mind!!!
[/quote]

I just bet. Where on earth did you find the petticoats? Did you make them yourself?

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='mme_hardy' timestamp='1319142161' post='2324347']

I just bet. Where on earth did you find the petticoats? Did you make them yourself?
[/quote]

I suspect that "in those days" petticoats were much easier to find! (Although I wouldn't be surprised if she made them herself anyway.)

BTW--I don't know if others have welcomed you yet, but WELCOME!! I'm so glad you're here!!!

Even though I think there are at least a few people on Phatmass who like me, I'm never really sure if they truly understand that a person can love God, and pray, and not hate Catholics, but yet has no current plans to convert to Catholicism. That I'm not being clueless and I'm not closing my mind to God, but seriously, at least right now, God is not telling me to be Catholic. (And, I'm honestly leaving the future open to God.) If I knew that even ONE person understood that, it would mean a lot.

And, even if you don't understand, welcome anyway!!!!

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1319137227' post='2324308']

Yes! A watch is unexpectedly necessary - thanks for reminding me. Digital or battery though? I've only ever had battery watches, but don't know that there is a watchmaker in driving distance to change batteries for me. What happens when a digital watch 'runs out'? Do they even run out? Can you recharge them? (Solar?)
[/quote]

I would just take a spare battery. There will be for sure a sister who knows how to change it. And a battery can last quite a long time...

I find it intersting how in your communities already at the beginning of Postulancy things are very "clear". At my soon-to-be community we stay in a different part of the house for postulancy. We wear normal clothes for postulancy. All things that are not clothes that I am bringing, I am discussing with the nm. But she tends to be kind of "liberal" about it.

The bigger "separation" comes when one is about to enter the Novitiate and moves also into the part of the house where the novitiate is. I was told that the nm "helps" you move and has a look at what you keep and what will go into storage then.

Personally, I find this a good way. Of course I am taking not a lot of things for postulancy, but maybe after some months I realize that the things I am attached to now are not so relevant at all. But I have the chance to make that realization for myself as well. And well, if that realization will not come, it will come with the help of the nm ;) :)

brandelynmarie

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1319129730' post='2324226']

Neither did I!!! I was putting them in boiling water until they were hot, like my mother always had and like the packet said to do!
[/quote]
[quote name='mme_hardy' timestamp='1319141977' post='2324345']
What's the right way? (We always nuke 'em nowadays.)
[/quote]

I usually steam mine in a pot with a little water...but now I am very curious!!! :huh:

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1319144412' post='2324353']
And, even if you don't understand, welcome anyway!!!!
[/quote]

Heee! No, I totally understand. Actually, I've been pleased that Phatmassers have always been mutually respectful with me. A bit baffled, maybe, but respectful *g*.

I've always been curious about nuns -- a Catholic friend teases me that Protestants are much more obsessed with them than many Catholics -- so I've been hanging on to the edge of the pool listening in VS, listening to what people say about their vocations and their lives and their experiences.

Juchu, that sounds like a lovely way to make these transitions - from the world to postulancy then postulancy to the actual novitiate - must seem rather "normal" and organic or natural (less of a poke in the eye with a sharp stick kind of thing)

brandelynmarie

Isn't it so much fun to do that? :) Some of us have lurked off & on for years...

[quote name='mme_hardy' timestamp='1319150879' post='2324375']

Heee! No, I totally understand. Actually, I've been pleased that Phatmassers have always been mutually respectful with me. A bit baffled, maybe, but respectful *g*.

I've always been curious about nuns -- a Catholic friend teases me that Protestants are much more obsessed with them than many Catholics -- so I've been hanging on to the edge of the pool listening in VS, listening to what people say about their vocations and their lives and their experiences.
[/quote]

Isn't it so much fun to do that? :) Some of us have lurked off & on for years...

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1319129730' post='2324226']

Neither did I!!! I was putting them in boiling water until they were hot, like my mother always had and like the packet said to do!
[/quote]

How were you supposed to cook them? I didn't think there was a right and wrong way, although I usually put them in cold water and let them come to a boil. My sister on the other hand does what you do.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1319157968' post='2324446']

How were you supposed to cook them? I didn't think there was a right and wrong way, although I usually put them in cold water and let them come to a boil. My sister on the other hand does what you do.
[/quote]

There is the right way and the wrong way and then there is the Carmelite way :P

Strictlyinkblot

Not to mention the Benedictine way. I failed miserably at vegetable peeling in my last live in despite copious instruction

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Strictlyinkblot' timestamp='1319158555' post='2324450']
Not to mention the Benedictine way. I failed miserably at vegetable peeling in my last live in despite copious instruction
[/quote]

I am completely useless in the kitchen and always have been. I used to be able to bake things - like breads and cakes and cookies, but I have never liked or been able to do the regular meal things... although if someone tells me exactly what to do, I can usually follow directions. Cooking is a real penance for me, but I am very happy doing dishes!

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1319158692' post='2324451']

I am completely useless in the kitchen and always have been. I used to be able to bake things - like breads and cakes and cookies, but I have never liked or been able to do the regular meal things... although if someone tells me exactly what to do, I can usually follow directions. Cooking is a real penance for me, but I am very happy doing dishes!
[/quote]

Nunsense I have the exact opposite problem. I am a fairly decent cook but I am very horrible at baking (I will burn whatever that I am supposed to bake) I really really really really don't like cooking and usually end up doing the dishes. Now doing dishes, THAT I like to do.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1319159617' post='2324453']

Nunsense I have the exact opposite problem. I am a fairly decent cook but I am very horrible at baking (I will burn whatever that I am supposed to bake) I really really really really don't like cooking and usually end up doing the dishes. Now doing dishes, THAT I like to do.
[/quote]

Well, most people are happy with those who do dishes, so even though I have to use microwaves and packet/tinned/frozen food for myself... when I go to family events like upcoming Thanksgiving - I leave the fine cooking to the many in my family who can do it - and love it, and I volunteer to do the dishes. This makes me popular. :)

Strictlyinkblot

Me too, I'm safe enough with dishes apart from an unfortunate habit of dropping them every now and then.

Just going back on topic, are you allowed bring statues? I mean little ones obv. I have a tiny one of Our Lady of Knock which is now missing one hand but I'd love to bring her with me when (if) I enter.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Strictlyinkblot' timestamp='1319160201' post='2324459']
Me too, I'm safe enough with dishes apart from an unfortunate habit of dropping them every now and then.

Just going back on topic, are you allowed bring statues? I mean little ones obv. I have a tiny one of Our Lady of Knock which is now missing one hand but I'd love to bring her with me when (if) I enter.
[/quote]

Once again - this is a community thing - what might be okay at Q would probably not be okay at KE. I would ask the Prioress about any item I wanted to bring but wasn't sure about. At one Carmel we weren't allowed to change the pictures on the wall, at another I was allowed to put up a favourite pic of Jesus that I still have today. Ask, ask, ask. If you are told no, at least you know for sure. If you are told yes, how wonderful!