An Old School Catholic Message Board

True Devotion Jewelry

OnlySunshine

Hi ladies of VS! I have a question for you! During CRHP this past week, one of the women shared with us that she had made a Total Consecration to Jesus through Mary and bought one of these beautiful rings:

[img]http://store.saintbenedict.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/Women_s_True_Dev_4ea1d5363e655.jpg[/img]

I have always wanted something to remind me of my Consecration to the Immaculate that I made on December 8th, 2009 and renew every year. I had a Miraculous Medal blessed around the same time, but I find it irritating to wear all the time because I don't like anything around my neck when I sleep (including the Brown Scapular). I would love to find a ring just like this or a Miraculous Medal ring. Unfortunately, the only place that sells these True Devotion rings (that I can find through Google) are the Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. She told me to look in the "gift shop" link:

[url="http://store.saintbenedict.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=80&category_id=11&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1&vmcchk=1&Itemid=1"]True Devotion Ring[/url]

It's $30 which I really don't want to spend right now if I could possibly help it. Could anyone tell me if they found a cheaper ring -- preferably in sterling silver. I found a "keepsake ring" on eBay but it is very cheaply made. I want something that will last longer than a few months and won't get nasty looking. I appreciate the help!

I think, for a woman in the world who never wishes or intends to marry because she is "already married", with her heart given exclusively to the Lord, it is appropriate and very helpful to wear a ring. Not suggesting anyone [i]ought[/i] to wear one but [i]am [/i]suggesting anyone who wishes to wear one should not feel hesitant or strange about it.

My ring story: When I left the mon the first time, some years ago, I bought a ring (this didn't happen immediately because I had to wait until after I had gotten a job and saved some money to buy it), had it inscribed and blessed and began wearing it on the ring finger of my right hand. For my poor mother the ring was a cause of distress and then, as time passed and I still hadn't gone back to the monastery, an annoyance. For others, with no emotional investment in my physical whereabouts (meaning, didn't care if I went back to the mon or not) it was not - like the whole "monastic thing" in general in my life - to be taken seriously. This didn't offend me, of course, because even if they did not know (and how could they?) I did know what it was about. For many years I felt a need to wear this ring (those were the years when it was very helpful), then the need waned and I was simply grateful to wear it. At all times, it has been a material sign of the interior set of my heart, a heart belonging to God. It was and is also a sign of His enduring promise to me which has remained intact in my heart since the day it was made so many years ago.

Edited by Aya Sophia

I wear one of these [url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sterling-Silver-Rosary-Ring-925-Taxco-NEW-/170714741445?pt=Gemstone_Rings&hash=item27bf643ac5"]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sterling-Silver-Rosary-Ring-925-Taxco-NEW-/170714741445?pt=Gemstone_Rings&hash=item27bf643ac5[/url] it took a few days getting used to, but is fine now. Its what I would call moderately well made - you can see the join in the silver but its under the cross - but good for the price. Its also the bonus that when I find myself fiddling with it, it reminds me to pray!

I started wearing it for a couple of reasons, firstly, yes, I am dedicated to God and so unavailable to man. But also, and maybe this is vanity or something, but I am understandably usually mistaken for Corin's mother, and if thats going to happen I would rather be mistaken for a married mother than a single mother, especially at times when I take him into churches etc.

AccountDeleted

For my private vows, I simply bought a sterling silver wedding ring from a second hand jewelry shop and it was affordable. Then I had it engraved with Sponsa Christi and the date of the vows and blessed by a priest. I love it and never take it off.

[quote name='NovemberFourth' timestamp='1319278637' post='2325083']
I'll have a google and trawl around for you. In case I see anything what ring size are you looking for?

N4
[/quote]

I've got larger fingers, so either a size 7.5 or 8. Thanks! :)

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1319287385' post='2325100']
For my private vows, I simply bought a sterling silver wedding ring from a second hand jewelry shop and it was affordable. Then I had it engraved with Sponsa Christi and the date of the vows and blessed by a priest. I love it and never take it off.
[/quote]

Nice! I thought about doing that. I saw some online somewhere that weren't too much and then I'd have it engraved with "Ad Jesum per Mariam" (to Jesus through Mary). I also love the verse in Song of Songs: "I am my Beloved's, and my Beloved is mine." :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

Sr Mary Catharine OP

It's because the Sisters designed this ring themselves and they receive it at Profession. It's a beautiful and well-made ring. The price is really good considering how well made it is.
I thought it was sterling silver but it doesn't say on the description. You could ask.

I used to wear a silver ring that was a plain band with some engraving on it, so it sort of looked like a wedding ring but it wasn't.

If you need something that is good quality or else it will irritate your skin it will be hard to find something less than $30! :-(

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' timestamp='1319288084' post='2325106']
It's because the Sisters designed this ring themselves and they receive it at Profession. It's a beautiful and well-made ring. The price is really good considering how well made it is.
I thought it was sterling silver but it doesn't say on the description. You could ask.

I used to wear a silver ring that was a plain band with some engraving on it, so it sort of looked like a wedding ring but it wasn't.

If you need something that is good quality or else it will irritate your skin it will be hard to find something less than $30! :-(
[/quote]

Thanks, Sr. Mary Catharine. I believe it is sterling silver as my friend's ring had .925 on the inside of the band. I've been searching eBay for good deals, but haven't come up with much. There is a beautiful Miraculous Medal S.S. ring but, sadly, it is size 6 1/4. I may just have to wait until I can afford something nicer. :)

Strictlyinkblot

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1319287757' post='2325105']

Nice! I thought about doing that. I saw some online somewhere that weren't too much and then I'd have it engraved with "Ad Jesum per Mariam" (to Jesus through Mary). I also love the verse in Song of Songs: "I am my Beloved's, and my Beloved is mine." :)
[/quote]

This site sells purity rings, including one with that line from Song of Songs. [url="http://www.cornerstonejewelrydesigns.com/rings/purity-rings.html"]http://www.cornerstonejewelrydesigns.com[/url] Its probably a bit more expensive then you want but they have rings in silver and titanium

I'm having a ring made ... I promise to post a pic of it when it is finished. But I do ask you all on VS to pray ... the first "draft" of the ring didn't come out as expected and they are redesigning the sides of the ring. I'm really nervous about the end result.

NovemberFourth

I always wished for a ring with "I have called you by name, you are mine".

Quite a lot of items come up if you search for "christian ring" on ebay - including some nice "I am my beloved's" rings (in Hebrew or English).
Including this one at $4.99
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Am-My-Beloveds-5-5-mm-Band-Stainless-Steel-/130585312257?pt=US_Wedding_Bands_without_Stones&var=&hash=item642000ed8f

N4

Edited by NovemberFourth

FutureSister2009

I want that ring! I could stand to spend $30 for it! I've been wearing my class ring for four years and I still love to have it on my finger but I think it's time for something new and special for my Beloved

I found an old blog where sisters talk about their profession rings -- what they look like, what they stand for, what's inscribed on/in them. Thought you might be interested

http://www.anunslife.org/2008/11/20/why-do-nuns-wear-a-wedding-ring

Edited by Francis Clare

Here's another link for you. If you scroll down the site, you'll get to several sections that show and explain the actual profession ring of several communities.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thereligioushabit/message/8646