An Old School Catholic Message Board

Shorter Christian Prayer...

i<3LSOP

Hi Ya'll!

I got the Shorter Christian Prayer a few weeks ago, but I am confused about how to use it. You could post anything about the Shorter Christian Prayer on here, but if you could also maybe simply explain how to use it that would be great!

BTW: Nuns sometimes use the SCP. :love:

Maybe part of this will help:

[url="http://www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/breviary.htm"]http://www.ewtn.com/...rs/breviary.htm[/url]

I think there are a few things to keep in mind

a) shorter christian prayer will only cover morning, evening, and night prayer (lauds, vespers, compline)
b) all of the different commons (i.e. common of pastors, common of religious, common of virgins, etc) will not be in shorter christian prayer (if I remember correctly). So there may be a day (for example on Oct 4, for St. Francis of Assisi, a memorial) where you would just pray the liturgy of the hours for the corresponding day (say it fell on tuesday of the 3rd week, you'd pray that instead).
c) remember that the loth is a 4 week cycle. For example, the first week of advent is week 1. 2nd week of advent week 2, etc. Same with lent (except 5th week of lent = 1st week of psalter; i.e. the remainder of 5/4 is 1). If you ever get lost with respect of the week involved, you can look it up online. EWTN's site did mention:
[i]Psalter - In the Proper, Sunday of the 18th Week will indicate that it is the 2nd week of the Psalter cycle, or calculate yourself. 18/4=4 plus a remainder of 2. It is Week 2 of Psalter.[/i]
d) easter -- 1st week of easter (8 days from easter sunday to divine mercy sunday) I *think* is 8 days of sundays. 1st sunday of week 1.
e) major feast days/solemnities -- are 1st sunday of week 1.

Until you get used to it -- you could use the internet to help. There are websites that give you the loth in order such that you can follow it. You can use that to try to learn

I do strongly suggest getting the more complete one volume edition called Christian Prayer. At least there you can incorporate the feasts/solemnities/memorials much more easily than with shorter christian prayer. But scp is a starting point at least -- you could simply start getting used to the 4 week cycle, without changing to the special days (it isn't 100% correct -- but considering that you're starting out I would give yourself that flexibility, at least until maybe month 2 or 3). And once you're all set with that pattern then get Christian Prayer to start moving around in the commons.

If you like reading, the following link is to the General Instructions to the Liturgy of the Hours. In one of the communities that I entered, this was one of the first documents we had to read (and write a report on). It really does help -- it gives you the different options and ways of praying the LOTH, and it shows that there is flexibility.
[url="http://www.ewtn.com/library/CURIA/CDWGILH.HTM"]http://www.ewtn.com/...RIA/CDWGILH.HTM[/url]

OOPS almost forgot -- you can also get/buy an ordo. The ordo lets you know what you should be doing in the LOTH. See [url="http://www.fdlc.org/Liturgy_Resources/Liturgy_of_the_Hours6.htm"]http://www.fdlc.org/..._the_Hours6.htm[/url]

Ok -- you can get the ordo online:
[url="http://search1.aquinasandmore.com/?Ntt=ordo"]http://search1.aquinasandmore.com/?Ntt=ordo[/url]

(There is a general one that isn't diocesean based). Also try the bookstore where you bought the shorter christian prayer.

Edited by cmariadiaz

Or for the ordo try this other site:
[url="http://www.catholicchurchsupply.com/catholic-church-supplies/2012-ordo-philadelphia/sku/93275"]http://www.catholicchurchsupply.com/catholic-church-supplies/2012-ordo-philadelphia/sku/93275[/url]

(This one seems to have all the different diocesan ordos listed).

Theresita Nerita

I use Shorter Christian Prayer and I really like it. Although my style is on the lax side - I say it whenever I can, and don't bother myself about forgetting it, and I'm sure that occasionally I'm not on the right day/ I'm ignorant that that day is a feast and there are different antiphons and readings.

But in general, it makes my little cell (aka my sad urban janitor's closet!) much more monastic.

My style of praying it has evolved, but lately I've begun using the method used by the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal http://franciscansisterscfr.com/ which I experienced a few weeks ago while volunteering. In short, I say God come to my assistance, etc etc, then I actually sing a hymn by myself - if I dont know the tune, i make one up that seems to fit the words (I said I was lax! :) ). Then I just say (or whisper if my roommates are home) the psalms. I used to try to chant them but I find that whispering them out loud is more somber and I think about the words more than when concentrating on the chanting.

The CFRs also pause between the Reading and the Responsory for a "five minute silent prayer" by the clock. I've started doing this and it's SO great. It enriches the entire prayer, and plus it means I never neglect my 15 mins (3 x 5) of silent prayer a day. It is also very spiritually refreshing, even when there's spiritual aridity involved.

Good luck and God bless.

I really tried to use the shorter version when I first began and it was driving me bonkers because I found out there was a more complete book and I wanted to be able to pray all the offices (I didn't know it then but that was one of multiple signs that I needed to seriously discern religious life)

I do love to be able to pray the psalter that applies to certain feast days. It truly is a blessing to learn of the lives of the saints as I pray throughout the year.

Edited by HopefulBride

I<3LSOP,

I'm involved in formation in one of the secular orders. (In other words, I'm a laywoman who is part of a 'third order' group). (I explained it in my initial thread when I joined.) Our members are required to learn how to pray Morning, Evening and Night prayer from the breviary during their first year of formation, and I've helped a lot of people learn to pray the Liturgy of the Hours.

We actually have found that starting with the [i]Shorter Christian Prayer [/i]is actually one of the best ways to learn to pray the hours well!

It is a much simpler book, but still has the richness of the 4 weeks of morning and evening prayer. If you master how that one works, it will be very easy to move to one of the 'full' books - either [i]Christian Prayer [/i](which is the one-volume book that ONLY has Morning, Evening and Night prayer for the whole year) and/or the full 4 volume [i]Liturgy of the Hours [/i](which has those and Office of Readings and Midday Prayer; it is in 4 volumes according to the season of the year.) when you are ready / if you choose to do so. For now, this one will be fine -- you can always share with someone if you are praying in a group -- and you will have a good idea of how the big book works, too!!!

We stress with those who are learning that the most important thing is to PRAY the hours (even if you get a little lost). God loves the attempt! Starting with a book with less options makes that a LOT easier.

We also encourage people NOT to get too dependent on those white Guides (the Ordo) -- because sometimes one can't get the guide OR one is praying with a religious community that has a special feast or chooses one of the alternative options (and there are a few)--that is REALLY confusing to the poor person who is trying to learn how to do the prayer if they don't learn the 'why' things are done as opposed to 'where' to find something.

In the long run it is easier to just get someone to show you how the book works and not get too flustered with all the options that are included in the guides. In my opinion, at least!

Hope this helps! If I can answer questions, feel free to ask!

Edited by AnneLine

NovemberFourth

I tried the Shorter and I really struggled with it - but then I did not really have anyone around to show me how to use it. I find our Office book much simpler, but that it probably because I have had a lot of help with it. :)

[quote name='Theresita Nerita' timestamp='1321117288' post='2335410']
I use Shorter Christian Prayer and I really like it. Although my style is on the lax side - I say it whenever I can, and don't bother myself about forgetting it, and I'm sure that occasionally I'm not on the right day/ I'm ignorant that that day is a feast and there are different antiphons and readings.

But in general, it makes my little cell (aka my sad urban janitor's closet!) much more monastic.

My style of praying it has evolved, but lately I've begun using the method used by the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal [url="http://franciscansisterscfr.com/"]http://franciscansisterscfr.com/[/url] which I experienced a few weeks ago while volunteering. In short, I say God come to my assistance, etc etc, then I actually sing a hymn by myself - if I dont know the tune, i make one up that seems to fit the words (I said I was lax! :) ). Then I just say (or whisper if my roommates are home) the psalms. I used to try to chant them but I find that whispering them out loud is more somber and I think about the words more than when concentrating on the chanting.

The CFRs also pause between the Reading and the Responsory for a "five minute silent prayer" by the clock. I've started doing this and it's SO great. It enriches the entire prayer, and plus it means I never neglect my 15 mins (3 x 5) of silent prayer a day. It is also very spiritually refreshing, even when there's spiritual aridity involved.

Good luck and God bless.
[/quote]

I love the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal! I met at a Catholic camp this summer Sr. Kelly Francis and Sr. Felicity! :love:

All of these are great points! I suspect this is a cup half full/half empty kind of thing--

Most people want to pray the hours, but also want to throw the office book itself across the room at some point because learning how to use it can seem very complicated! So... don't let the evil one discourage you or tell you you are stupid.

Depending on you and what you need, you may prefer one book or the other -- there is no right and wrong way to learn to pray the office, and God likes anything we give Him with love!!! At some point you will want either the full Christian Prayer or 4 Volume Liturgy of the Hours, so you'll be fine. * (see below line)

Shorter Christian prayer is just selections from the full Christian Prayer book -- it has the Ordinary parts that are prayed each day, the 4 week cycle of Psalms and Canticles, and some selections from the Proper of the Seasons (the sections that are relevant to Advent, Christmas, Lent, Easter, Ordinary Time, etc.) and a very few selections from the Proper of the Saints (the sections that include the daily celebrations of the Saints). The intent is to give you a small volume you can carry around. It can also help you to focus just on learning how to use the book itself and the 4 week cycle and to start to incorporate the stuff from the Seasons -- if you get those going, you will find out that the Church Year comes alive when you pray the hours. But it does take a little wihile to get the structure down, especially if you are not praying with someone else. Once you get those down, then you can start to add the celebrations of the saints. Once you learn the pattern, you can learn to use any of the other books.

If you can find someone to help you explore the office book 1:1 it will help a lot.... Also, if you can find someone (or a group) to pray with it will help. If ever you get lost in the group, just close your eyes and enjoy the prayer; eventually it will fall into place. If you are praying alone, and you get lost, just tell God you are doing the best you can and realize that God loves us when we are like that, just as people love watching a baby learn to crawl and walk. And there is no way to learn to walk without crawling and falling on the way!

If you get lost, you can always just pray what is given for that day (or even just pray Sunday Week I over and over until you get the pattern down.)

If it would be helpful to any of you, I'd be happy to try to type out the 'guided tour' of the office book that I give to our new people.... most people said it is really helpful. Don't want to give you something you don't want, however....

Have a great day everyone! I'm remembering you and your intentions when praying the office today!

------------------

* Sometimes people wonder what the difference is between the one volume Christian Prayer and the 4 volume Liturgy of the Hours. Christian Prayer has Morning, Evening and Night prayer, with just a few selections from Midday Prayer and Office of Readings. Most active communities don't require the last two, and 3 extra books are expensive, so for some people the one volume is a good choice. However, what I have seen is that almost everyone eventually likes to have the Office of Readings available because the readings are so beautiful... and they help you get into the spirit of the Church year more fully. BUT... only after you figure out how to use the book! So starting with one of the others is never a bad choice, and you can always give it away to someone else when you are ready to move on. The books can be used together once you know how the patterns work.

Edited by AnneLine

AccountDeleted

I echo the sentiment not to get discoruaged when it seems too hard. I spent the first few months at Carmel crying over the Office, and I had lots of help!! I have used all of the different books.

I started with Shorter Christian Prayer before I entered Carmel because I bought the 3 volume UK Divine Office and didn't know how to use it. When I was with the Hermits of Bethlehem, we used the 4 volume LOH. I have also used the Christian Prayer - and like the fact that the hymns have music! The main one I use now though is the UK 3 volume set since that I what I used at every Carmel and I know it inside out now. But whatever works for you - stick to it and it gets better and easier.

by the way, those who use the UK set - we are changing volumes soon for Advent! I love the change time!

Yes!!!!

Advent does start week after this, and Advent is the perfect time for us to start really praying the office together!!!

Nomatter which book you use, all of us will start with week 1 of both the Advent season AND the weekly psalter. So.... if you want to get started, get one of the books and we can help each other!

Nunsense has teh British 3 vol and I h ve the other three.... we can do this together and pray for each other and all who are discerning!!!

Who is on for it?

What a neat idea!

• 3 years later...

I would appreciate a copy of the guide d t our used for beginners as mentioned above.  I'm new at this communication so please excuse any mistakes in procedure.  Many thanks.  Oh, my email is Mi1069@comcast.net.    My name is Mary Burt.