An Old School Catholic Message Board

Your Christmas Traditions

Sarah147

I just remembered a few others. We have these 4 cute stuffed animal reindeer (3 little and 1 big one). They are part of our Christmas decorations and they get put all around the house. One small one is always on top of this certain clock though.
We also overload our tree with lights,we are talking like 6 strands of lights minimum.
My mom always gets everyone socks and underwear too. I can't remember a Christmas when I didn't get at least underwear.
My sister and I love to give each other "gag gifts" and wrap them in really creative ways. I always frustrate her by using shirt boxes for just about everything. Then I tape the boxes closed and then wrap them. She got me back one year by putting a jingle bell in one of my presents so I had no idea what it was. All the wrapping paper is put in one big pile for the cats to play in. It is always amusing watching them hiding under the paper and then popping out to pounce the others.

[quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1322001731' post='2339572']
It's a pastry with a fruit filling, usually circular or a long strip, and you cut pieces off and it's flaky and frosting-y and amazing.

[/quote]
Hmmm. I will have to have the wife try that. It sounds right up her alley too.

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1321998818' post='2339564']
Since this is only our 2nd Christmas married and at our own place, my husband and I don't really any solid traditions, yet, but last year for Christmas Eve I did a German dinner (recipes passed on from my Grandma. ) and he wants it again this year. But we went with Wiener Schnitzel.

Christmas Eve dinner is the "kick-off" for Christmas. We have dinner, and open gifts and then go to Mass (or however it all works itself out with when Mass is and how late the hubby has to work --when I was growing up, it was my mom's work schedule that we had to contend with). Last year there was a big debate about when to open gifts, because it was my family tradition to open gifts on Christmas eve, but his family did it on Christmas. I finally told him that I would open mine on Christmas eve, and he could open his on Christmas day. He suddenly realized the sense in opening on Christmas eve. We also eat cookies while we open gifts. Growing up, we always has one gift from Santa that we would get on Christmas morning, plus our stockings. Since Santa doesn't come anymore since we got married , last year we each saved a gift and opened it on Christmas morning, plus we got each other stocking stuffers. Then we have Christmas brunch, and spend the day hanging out and making Christmas dinner. After Christmas dinner we have pistachio cake for Jesus' birthday cake. When I was about 10 we went to my Grandma's and she made lemon cake for Jesus' birthday cake and I cried, because it was the wrong kind of cake. So, it MUST be the pistachio cake (besides, it's delicious and it's the one time a year we get it. We had the stupid lemon cake like a bazillion times a year.). And we also eat Christmas cookies. Basically, most of our traditions center around stuffing ourselves silly. Can you tell we're German?
[/quote]
Ahh, Wiener Schnitzel. My grandma would make that with sweet and sour cabbage and German potato salad. [img]http://th12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/angeltattoo/smilies/th_drool.gif[/img]

fides quarens intellectum

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1321998818' post='2339564']
Since this is only our 2nd Christmas married and at our own place, my husband and I don't really any solid traditions, yet,
[/quote]

kinda the same here - this will be our 3rd Christmas, but no solid traditions yet. we will be waiting to decorate until Christmas Eve, though, so i guess that's about all we have so far...

MissScripture

[quote name='fides quarens intellectum' timestamp='1322068622' post='2339820']

kinda the same here - this will be our 3rd Christmas, but no solid traditions yet. we will be waiting to decorate until Christmas Eve, though, so i guess that's about all we have so far...
[/quote]
We totally do not have the patience for that! LOL! I've always thought it was razzle dazzle when people did that, but I do not have the patience to do it myself! We do NOT, however, remove any decorations until Christmas is actually OVER! Drives me nuts when people take everything down the day after Christmas Day!

I figure, right now, however, is the time to figure out what traditions we want to do for the next 50 years. If my kids are anything like me and my siblings, traditions will be a HUGE deal and you DO NOT MESS WITH THEM! My mom couldn't even change the location of decorations in the house without us freaking out. Now she can't make any new types of Christmas cookies, because we won't eat them, or at least not until all of our traditional ones are gone. (Although, life just got even more complicated with that, since there is now a granddaughter with food allergies, so she might get to try a few new ones in the next few years!)