An Old School Catholic Message Board

Your Christmas Traditions

Sarah147

Hello,

Please share any traditions or special things you do in preparing for or celebrating Christmas.

Maybe always watching Scrooge? Cutting down your own tree?

I know some Italians like to stay up REALLY late on Christmas eve and eat, eat, eat.

God bless you.

Edited by JoyfulLife

Hmm...I always watch the original film of the Grinch and the Peanuts Christmas special. I always use my limited Paint skills to make something related to Christmas. I decorate the trees with the family while here for Thanksgiving, since I won't see them again until Christmas.

On Christmas Eve we always go to grandma's church at 7pm, mom's church at 9pm, and my church for Midnight Mass. Come morning we all gather together to exchange gifts and the kids have tissue paper wrapped presents from "Santa". Then comes Christmas dinner together.

We always bake a TON of cookies to eat and share (I just started baking some of them today!). We also always have a certain type of eggnog on Christmas eve. Then especially when my sister and I were little we would not even look at the tree until we woke up my parents and they got up and turned on the lights etc. Since my parents would take awhile we would stay in one of our rooms and wait for my mom to call us.
Then there is always the impromptu Christmas day naps, this has been especially true in the past couple of years with me going to Midnight Mass.

... Being the stuckee to play at the Midnight Mass? That kind of kills any real plans with family on that evening. And partially cancels any travel plans.

Last year I got together with two of the parish priests and another woman who was also playing/singing at one of the Masses, and we had Christmas Eve dinner together.

This year -- I don't know. I may spend time with my sister? I may travel to see my Godchildren? It's amesome not having the responsibility for the Midnight Mass this year.

We always watch [b][i]It's a Wonderful Life[/i][/b] and [i][b]Home Alone 1[/b][/i] and [i][b]2[/b][/i]. I recently started the tradition of watching [i][b]While You Were Sleeping[/b][/i] every year. I love that movie!

Every Christmas Eve (since I was born), we all go to my Nana and Grandpa's house (Dad's parents) and celebrate Christmas with them, my aunt and uncle, and our longtime family friend who currently lives in a nursing home. This tradition is getting more and more meaningful especially since I am discerning to enter religious life (hopefully in August 2012), my grandpa is in poor health, my uncle has Multiple Sclerosis, my aunt has Rheumatoid Arthritis and problems with her walking, and my family friend is very elderly (and was sick last year). This might be the last year I get to spend with them on Christmas Eve.

Tamales and Mexican hot chocolate before midnight mass. I usually had an open house/buffet type party all day on Christmas Eve, but this year we are going to do it on Boxing Day. People were just too busy on Christmas Eve. We're actually doing a breakfast buffet for people out and about shopping. Biscuits and gravy I think.

Christmas lasts for a month in my family. :|

We're baking ridiculous amounts of cookies two weeks from now -- myself, my mom, aunt, and two adult cousins and their kids.

A week or so before Christmas, we have the family party on Mom's side. We are a huge group with a lot of young children, so it's easier for us to just get together beforehand.

Dad's side has a little get together Christmas Eve. Since my reversion, I either go to 7 p.m. or midnight Mass depending on how awake I feel.

And then Christmas day is very quiet -- just my parents and I in the morning. We have my grandmothers over for brunch, and then people will visit throughout the day.

My Aunt Charlotte made my Christmas stocking when I was too young to remember - I've just always had it. It's green felt, with a little felt train, and a candle, and a star sewn onto it with some sequins and little wooden beads and stuff. It's kind of beat up these days, but I get it out of the closet every year, brush it off a little, maybe run the iron over it, and hang it on the mantel. Just like Mom & Dad used to do when I was still living at their house, I put an apple, an orange, a tangerine, some chocolate kisses, and a couple of do-dadders in it - maybe a kazoo, or a yo-yo, or a water gun - whatever I like from the local Everything's a Dollar.

And rum balls.

We went to Midnight Mass last year for Christmas, but everyone was a zombie the next day. We were so tired! We made the decision to go on Christmas Day since we are staying in town. The group leader for the EMHCs kept calling us to serve at the 4pm Mass on Christmas Eve (Children's Mass) but I told her (after she called 3 times!) that we go to my grandparents' house each year.

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1321936244' post='2339308']
We always watch [b][i]It's a Wonderful Life[/i][/b] and [i][b]Home Alone 1[/b][/i] and [i][b]2[/b][/i]. I recently started the tradition of watching [i][b]While You Were Sleeping[/b][/i] every year. I love that movie!

Every Christmas Eve (since I was born), we all go to my Nana and Grandpa's house (Dad's parents) and celebrate Christmas with them, my aunt and uncle, and our longtime family friend who currently lives in a nursing home. This tradition is getting more and more meaningful especially since I am [b]discerning to enter religious life (hopefully in August 2012), [/b]my grandpa is in poor health, my uncle has Multiple Sclerosis, my aunt has Rheumatoid Arthritis and problems with her walking, and my family friend is very elderly (and was sick last year). This might be the last year I get to spend with them on Christmas Eve.
[/quote]

Congratulations!

I looove this thread!

Guest hermanita

All the women in our family get together and make pastries and cakes for Christmas morning breakfast.Pastry making is a family tradition forspecial days.