An Old School Catholic Message Board

Your Christmas Traditions

Sarah147

homeschoolmom

[quote name='jaime' timestamp='1321980827' post='2339454']
I also wear lots of colorful vests
[/quote]
Jealous??

It's not like my vests are "Purple Clowns" or "Green Balloons" or anything. The Charlie Brown one is for 11/11 only... sheesh...

Sauerbraten, red cabbage, mashed potatoes and German Kölsch beer. Then apple pie for dessert.
After dinner, family gathers to play charades.

Basilisa Marie

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1321985867' post='2339486']
Sauerbraten, red cabbage, mashed potatoes and German Kölsch beer. Then apple pie for dessert.
[/quote]

DUDE. Best ever. :)

We do oyster stew on Christmas eve. My mom makes Kringle (amesome gooey pastry with fruit), we eat lots of lefse and rather terrible Christmas cookies from my grandma. When I was little we'd drive up to see my dad's side of the family (the Norweigian Lutherans) and open presents and sing carols around the living room - in four part harmony, of course, they being proper Lutherans. :) Now that we're older and live far away, we break out our instruments and play carols together. Oh and lots of mixed nuts in dishes throughout the house, with nutcrackers on the side.

[quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1321993031' post='2339528']

We do oyster stew on Christmas eve. My mom makes Kringle (amesome gooey pastry with fruit), we eat lots of lefse and rather terrible Christmas cookies from my grandma. When I was little we'd drive up to see my dad's side of the family (the Norweigian Lutherans) and open presents and sing carols around the living room - in four part harmony, of course, they being proper Lutherans. :) Now that we're older and live far away, we break out our instruments and play carols together. Oh and lots of mixed nuts in dishes throughout the house, with nutcrackers on the side.
[/quote]
Oh yeah, how can I forget the cookies. What is this Kringle? I am intrigued.
Thanks. And yes that meal is the best. I am thankful my wife was handed down the saurbraten recipe.

FutureSister2009

Ahhhh I love traditions! I go by the Religious traditions of not putting the baby in the manger until Christmas Eve. At night after dinner, I go up to help my grandmom with the children's pagaent and Mass which is my favorite Mass of the entire year. And then I stick around for my choir's Mass after that. Then I go home and I get to open one present. And sometimes I will stay up to watch movies. I'm 20 years old and I still have trouble sleeping on Christmas Eve! Then Christmas morning I'm usually up pretty early opening presents and eating cinnamon buns. Then I go to the Latin Mass. After Mass, I go to my grandmom's house for more presents and then we go to my aunt's house for more presents and dinner. She always has so much food but it's so good! And my favorite dessert is red and green jello with razzle dazzle whip!
Sorry that was so long! I LOVE this thread!

MissScripture

[quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1321993031' post='2339528']

[/quote]
:o YOUR MOM MAKES KRINGLE? I SO WANT TO BE PART OF YOUR FAMILY!

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1321985867' post='2339486']
[/quote]
Since this is only our 2nd Christmas married and at our own place, my husband and I don't really any solid traditions, yet, but last year for Christmas Eve I did a German dinner (recipes passed on from my Grandma. :proud:) and he wants it again this year. But we went with Wiener Schnitzel. :drool:

Christmas Eve dinner is the "kick-off" for Christmas. We have dinner, and open gifts and then go to Mass (or however it all works itself out with when Mass is and how late the hubby has to work --when I was growing up, it was my mom's work schedule that we had to contend with). Last year there was a big debate about when to open gifts, because it was my family tradition to open gifts on Christmas eve, but his family did it on Christmas. I finally told him that I would open mine on Christmas eve, and he could open his on Christmas day. He suddenly realized the sense in opening on Christmas eve. We also eat cookies while we open gifts. :hehe2: Growing up, we always has one gift from Santa that we would get on Christmas morning, plus our stockings. Since Santa doesn't come anymore since we got married :hehe2:, last year we each saved a gift and opened it on Christmas morning, plus we got each other stocking stuffers. Then we have Christmas brunch, and spend the day hanging out and making Christmas dinner. After Christmas dinner we have pistachio cake for Jesus' birthday cake. When I was about 10 we went to my Grandma's and she made lemon cake for Jesus' birthday cake and I cried, because it was the wrong kind of cake. So, it MUST be the pistachio cake (besides, it's delicious and it's the one time a year we get it. We had the stupid lemon cake like a bazillion times a year.). And we also eat Christmas cookies. Basically, most of our traditions center around stuffing ourselves silly. Can you tell we're German? :lol:

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1321981062' post='2339455']
Jealous??

It's not like my vests are "Purple Clowns" or "Green Balloons" or anything. The Charlie Brown one is for 11/11 only... sheesh...
[/quote]

Why does it always have to be about you?

Basilisa Marie

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1321993554' post='2339532']
Oh yeah, how can I forget the cookies. What is this Kringle? I am intrigued.
Thanks. And yes that meal is the best. I am thankful my wife was handed down the saurbraten recipe.
[/quote]

It's a pastry with a fruit filling, usually circular or a long strip, and you cut pieces off and it's flaky and frosting-y and amazing. :)

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1321998818' post='2339564']
:o YOUR MOM MAKES KRINGLE? I SO WANT TO BE PART OF YOUR FAMILY!
[/quote]

YAY! I love it when other people know about it! :) Yep, she got a recipe from my great-grandmother. German/Scandinavian food is my favorite! :D

And we open presents the night before too - we do presents from family and friends, and then "Santa" would come the next morning. Or at Grandma's house, depending. :) OH and we would also save one gift for all of us kids to be opened on Epiphany - traditionally a movie, usually Disney, and then watch it together. We ended up with a rather extensive collection over the years. :)

Edited by Basilisa Marie

homeschoolmom

[quote name='jaime' timestamp='1322001571' post='2339571']

Why does it always have to be about you?
[/quote]
Iono... I ask myself that all the time....

MissScripture

[quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1322001731' post='2339572']

It's a pastry with a fruit filling, usually circular or a long strip, and you cut pieces off and it's flaky and frosting-y and amazing. :)

YAY! I love it when other people know about it! :) Yep, she got a recipe from my great-grandmother. German/Scandinavian food is my favorite! :D

And we open presents the night before too - we do presents from family and friends, and then "Santa" would come the next morning. Or at Grandma's house, depending. :) OH and we would also save one gift for all of us kids to be opened on Epiphany - traditionally a movie, usually Disney, and then watch it together. We ended up with a rather extensive collection over the years. :)
[/quote]
I've never had homemade Kringle, but my parents used to have friends who would go get it from this bakery in Racine, Wisconsin. Then they moved away and we didn't have it for many years. Then, they made friends with another couple who would go to Racine and they started bringing it back for us, and then THEY moved, too! I miss kringle! :cry: I found a recipe for it once, but I was scared to try making it myself.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1322001866' post='2339573']
Iono... I ask myself that all the time....
[/quote]

You're probably sensitive because you hate thanksgiving

We like to put up Christmas lights all over the house: red, green and white with the cords hidden in garlands, and we put them above the cupboards and the cornice board above the window in the living room. We also have the tree all lit up with a bazillion strands of lights and decorated with ornaments. Christmas eve we go to a party for my Mom's side of the family and come home around eight or nine. Then we often sit with all the lights off except the Christmas lights listening to Chanticleer and Mannheim Steamroller and other great Christmas music until midnight mass. Next morning, as soon as everyone is up, we open gifts and then at eleven all of us who are in the choir (I am one of these) go to mass again to sing. Then we do Christmas with Dad's side of the family, and usually stay there till late in the day. It's amesome! :)

homeschoolmom

[quote name='jaime' timestamp='1322005063' post='2339597']

You're probably sensitive because you hate thanksgiving
[/quote]
Could be.

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1321945177' post='2339362']
We went to Midnight Mass last year for Christmas, but everyone was a zombie the next day. We were so tired! We made the decision to go on Christmas Day since we are staying in town. The group leader for the EMHCs kept calling us to serve at the 4pm Mass on Christmas Eve (Children's Mass) but I told her (after she called 3 times!) that we go to my grandparents' house each year.
[/quote]

I meant to add that we also watch [b][i]National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation[/i][/b]. I love that movie!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzyDsY0IsPI[/media]

Edited by MaterMisericordiae