An Old School Catholic Message Board

Struggling Being Single

PennyLane

Mostly venting and prayer-seeking...

I struggle being single... I had a Catholic relationship that ended about 8 months ago (dodged a bullet) and since that point I have been single. I go on these Catholic dating websites and I either find guys that are "cafeteria Catholics" or guys that are have just left the seminary or are currently committed to discerning the priesthood.

I'm active in the young adult groups at my parish, but it seems that all the girls are shopping...

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to force anything that isn't there and I am open to God's will, it's just so frustrating!!! :pinch:

/sigh

First off, sorry, I'm taken.

:P

As I sit here typing this stuff, I am reminded how nothing you wrote ever really applied to me. Not so much because I ended up marrying my 'high school sweetheart', but when I was in your position/age/state of life, God, a good catholic girl, nor any of those types of thoughts were even remotely in my thought processes.

I think it might be wise to take a step back and feel a little more confident in your 'plight'. There are SO many people who do not have the prudence, love, or desire to actively include God in the ways you are. I think that is something to be applauded.

Of course, I will end with the obligatory 'be patient'.

:)

Marry a rich, pleasant enough scumbag. Devote yourself to converting him. Achieve sainthood. Spend time in Heaven receiving requests to find lost bracelets, cure dysentery, and cause person to win lottery.

Prayers. I know how much of a struggle it can be after being in committed relationship. You seem to be taking steps to discern a vocation to marriage though, and you shouldn't lower your standards. Trust in God and lean on Him as you struggle with this.

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1322321727' post='2340747']
Marry a rich, pleasant enough scumbag.
[/quote]
There are plenty out there. Scumbags at least.

Is there anything off about the dudes just coming from the seminary? I know of several marriages where the couple met right after the man left.

In fact this was an old joke people used to tell me when I would despair of meeting someone: "where is the best place for a good Catholic girl to catch a nice husband?" "on the steps of the seminary with a suitcase looking very confused."

I used to freak out constantly about being single. I think this was a big motivator for me to discern religious life, to be honest, I think under the surface I was scared to be alone without a partner and/or community. Once I decided my vocation was to marriage I calmed down a bit, but I still worried a LOT about this. I met my husband online, (not an ex-seminarian) so my only relevant advice is to keep trying online... we were both only on the site for about two weeks before we met so maybe the key is to scoop the nice guys up as soon as they sign up.

[quote name='sixpence' timestamp='1322324772' post='2340759']
whats wrong with "just left the seminary"?... that's where my mom got hers.... lol
[/quote]

hahaha!!! beat me to it!! Exactly! ;)

Edited by Maggie

[quote name='jaime' timestamp='1322325524' post='2340763']
More than a few ladies have found their husbands here Penny.
[/quote]
Even you!

[quote name='Maggie' timestamp='1322324806' post='2340760']
"on the steps of the seminary with a suitcase looking very confused."
[/quote]

Nobody ever asked me...

[quote]
In Penny Lane there is a barber showing photographs
Of every head he's had the pleasure to have known
And all the people that come and go
Stop and say hello

On the corner is a banker with a motorcar
The little children laugh at him behind his back
And the banker never wears a mac
in the pouring rain...
Very strange

Penny Lane is in my ears and in my eyes
Wet beneath the blue suburban skies
I sit and meanwhile back in

[/quote]

Just saying.

[quote name='Seven77' timestamp='1322335913' post='2340823']
I'm available but you are too young for me. Sorry.
[/quote]
So obvious.

Hang in there! You're going to be so happy and proud of yourself for not jumping into anything that wasn't right for you when you find the right guy.

You might want to punch me for saying that right now, but I know where you're coming from and I was there myself! Hang in there!

Blessed&Grateful

I struggled for years as single. And then one day I looked around and realized, I was quite Happy. There are days I am lonely and sometimes I think, Gosh I wish I had someone who could fix that faucet for me.....then I call the plumber.

The less I fight against it, the better I like it. The more I pray that I do God's will, the easier it becomes.