An Old School Catholic Message Board

Struggling Being Single

PennyLane

[quote name='FutureCarmeliteClaire' timestamp='1322370276' post='2341087']
You guys really hijacked this thread, wow. :hijack:
[/quote]
Welcome to phatmass! :wave:

Both my wife and I were fairly long term singles before we met. I had only had a handful of dates in 4 years, and my wife had only had one short-term relationship that was earlier than mine. The maturity that we gained in being chaste, single adults paid off in spades when we finally met each other. I wouldn't be surprised if the ability to maintain a long-distance relationship was born out of that long quiet growth that we experienced.

Little Flower

[quote name='jaime' timestamp='1322366280' post='2341043']

I'm actually seeing someone who is meaner than me
[/quote]
[quote name='jaime' timestamp='1322366487' post='2341046']

Yer mom
[/quote]
[quote name='jaime' timestamp='1322366928' post='2341050']

I'm just sayin, if you want to call me dad, I'm ok with that.
[/quote]
[quote name='jaime' timestamp='1322367322' post='2341054']

When your mom and I get married
[/quote]
:bash: :dead2: :cuss: :censored: :hardhead: :viking:

[quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1322365718' post='2341034']
prayers. I would try to weigh in with some encouragement or advice, but I'm 19. Although I would second MIkolbe's be patient, not that I always listen to that little bit of advice.
[/quote]

I don't think anybody listens to Mlkolbe...

Little Flower

[quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1322365718' post='2341034']
prayers. I would try to weigh in with some encouragement or advice, but I'm 19. Although I would second MIkolbe's be patient, not that I always listen to that little bit of advice.
[/quote]
hm. if you being 19 disqualifies you from giving advice I suppose my being 16 double-disqualifies me. :|

[quote name='Little Flower' timestamp='1322598791' post='2342243']
hm. if you being 19 disqualifies you from giving advice I suppose my being 16 double-disqualifies me. :|
[/quote]

Well I know that personally I've grown leaps and bounds over the last couple years, and that there is no substitute for experience. So, I'm perfectly happy with deferring to those that have more experience in life and in these matters than myself. That being said, I don't think age necessarily disqualifies you from giving advice, b/c I don't know your life or situation, and you could very well be very qualified to give advice. That statement was more about me personally, and my general lack of experience.

[quote name='PennyLane' timestamp='1322318996' post='2340735']
Mostly venting and prayer-seeking...

I struggle being single... I had a Catholic relationship that ended about 8 months ago (dodged a bullet) and since that point I have been single. I go on these Catholic dating websites and I either find guys that are "cafeteria Catholics" or guys that are have just left the seminary or are currently committed to discerning the priesthood.

I'm active in the young adult groups at my parish, but it seems that all the girls are shopping...

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to force anything that isn't there and I am open to God's will, it's just so frustrating!!! :pinch:

/sigh
[/quote]
Enjoy it while you have it.
Spend your time purifying yourself for your husband. He is out there.
God bless you.

Edited by Papist

[quote name='Maggie' timestamp='1322324806' post='2340760']
Is there anything off about the dudes just coming from the seminary? I know of several marriages where the couple met right after the man left.
[/quote]
My sister's husband proposed to her pretty much right out of the seminary. He's a good enough guy.

Basilisa Marie

I think it just depends on why they left the seminary. Most of the time it's just because they discerned out. But other times it's because they've got real issues to deal with. A friend of mine dated one of the latter and it was...interesting.

ContemporaryCaflicCrusader

[quote name='Lil'Monster' timestamp='1322360109' post='2340936']
I struggle being single and never had a boyfriend........oh well I guess I burp too much....and still grieving about how mikolbe still calls me ugly..... :sad:
[/quote]

Maybe if you cut down on the Mr. Dew you wouldn't belch so much. just a thought.

I figure I've made it to college age single and haven't exploded, left the faith, or had a boyfriend. She'll come around.

[quote name='ContemporaryCaflicCrusader' timestamp='1322617204' post='2342348']

Maybe if you cut down on the Mr. Dew you wouldn't belch so much. just a thought.

I figure I've made it to college age single and haven't exploded, left the faith, or had a boyfriend. She'll come around.
[/quote]

i dont drink mountain dew anymore

[quote name='Lil'Monster' timestamp='1322617282' post='2342350']

i dont drink mountain dew anymore
[/quote]
Say it ain't so Lil Mon!

[quote name='rachael' timestamp='1322360242' post='2340938']
the more you look for someone, the farther away they will be. it's when you learn to love yourself and not care that they come running
[/quote]

This sounds so Hallmark as someone previously said, but I think it's pretty true. I pretty much told God after Qualifiers, "you know what, I'm glad I'm single, I need to be able to study to pass them and couldn't do that if I met someone!" It's really helped to give me some introspection to realize I'm not as bad as I always thought I was (nor as good in some ways either).

About a month ago, a woman from the new cohort gave me a ride to go get my car out of the shop and her number in case I needed anything. (I'm incredibly dense...people had to be like "Phil, you don't normally get numbers out of the blue.") Then the other week we had dinner in DC at a nice little Italian place for a few hours when one of her female friends canceled on her, followed by the Hilton bar for around 5 hours, just talking about life, school, our interests and faith. I was told I wasn't allowed to fail Qualifiers again, because I need to stick around and that she's going to make me study until I'm ready to die to make sure of it; that and we need to go see the Book of Mormon on Broadway together while in NYC for a conference. We're going out for another dinner next week, a celebratory one when the semester ends, and another after Qualifiers.

It's not a long term relationship for the moment, but the potential is there and that's more than I ever thought would happen when I was busy searching for a relationship and engaging in self loathing at how horrible a person I was.