An Old School Catholic Message Board

Missscripture's Cooking And Baking Thread

MissScripture

IcePrincessKRS

I'm going to mail some to my siblings if they turn out well. If they don't.... try, try again. At least flour is pretty cheap. :hehe:

brandelynmarie

It's (almost) always fun to eat any mistakes. :) My mom used to make fried donut holes with nutmeg & rolled in cinnamon sugar. :eat: Yum! Years ago I made them & they turned out really well.

MissScripture

I just made crackers that are similar to wheat thins. They're tasty, but I didn't roll them thin enough, although Idk how to roll them any thinner without breaking the rolling pin!

I also made the hummus, but it tastes like there is something missing...

Here is something else you might like. It is my base cookie recipe. I use this as the base of all my cookies.

[size=3][font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif][color=#333333]Here is my Cookie Base:[/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif][color=#333333]1 Cup Melted Butter[/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif][color=#333333]2 Teaspoons Baking Soda[/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif][color=#333333]1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract[/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif][color=#333333]2 Cups Sugar (honey or brown sugar can be substituted for a different colour or consistency)[/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif][color=#333333]1/4 Cup Molasses (for extra colour) (Optional)[/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif][color=#333333]2 Eggs[/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif][color=#333333]2 cups flour[/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif][color=#333333]Then, if I am making Chocolate Chip cookies, I add 2 cups of chocolate chips; if I am making Peanut Butter cookies I add 2 cups of Peanut Butter; If I am making oatmeal cookies, I add 2 cups of oatmeal and an extra half cup of butter. If I am making Ginger Snaps, I add an extra cup of flour and 1/4 cup of ginger. I think you get the picture from there! I won't put in the molasses if I will ruin the look of the cookie, so no molasses with Peanut Butter, Oatmeal or Coconut Cookies, for example.[/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif][color=#333333]yield: 4 dozen cookies[/color][/font][/size]

IcePrincessKRS

The donuts came out pretty good but I know I will be tweaking it next time I make them. Today I made banana bread and 3 types of cookies so I can send my brother the awesomest care package ever. He's also getting some of Granny's donuts and some chocolate and peanut butter fudge. It's gonna knock his socks off.

MissScripture

Fudge sounds yummy! I might have to use Christmas as an excuse to make some!

Tomorrow I am going to make snickerdoodles for St. Nicholas day! :secret: But, Shhh, don't tell Roamin.

MissScripture

So, I've been trying to find a recipe for ice cream to use up the last cup of heavy whipping cream I have, but most of the recipes are massive! I don't know how anyone has ice cream makers big enough to make the amount the recipes would make!

brandelynmarie

[b]Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe[/b]
[font=Verdana][size=2]Homemade ice cream made with a vanilla custard base will provide you with a rich and creamy ice cream.[/size][/font][left][font=Verdana][size=2]4 [/size][/font][url="http://whatscookingamerica.net/eggs.htm"][font=Verdana][size=2][color=#0000cc]egg yolks[/color][/size][/font][/url][/left]
[font=Verdana][size=2]1/2 cup granulated [/size][/font][url="http://whatscookingamerica.net/Sugar.htm"][font=Verdana][size=2][color=#0000cc]sugar[/color][/size][/font][/url]
[font=Verdana][size=2]1 cup milk[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2]1 cup[/size][/font][url="http://whatscookingamerica.net/Sauces_Condiments/CreamDefinitions.htm"] [font=Verdana][size=2][color=#0000cc]heavy cream[/color][/size][/font][/url][font=Verdana][size=2] or whipping cream**[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2]2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract [/size][/font][left][font=Verdana][size=2][font=Verdana][size=2]In a medium-size bowl, add the egg yolks and sugar; beat until thick and lemon colored; set aside. [color=#800000]NOTE: If making Chocolate Ice Cream, add the cocoa powder to the egg mixture.[/color][/size][/font][/size][/font][/left][left][font=Verdana][size=2][font=Verdana][size=2]In a small heavy saucepan over low to medium-low heat, add milk. Slowly bring milk just to a gentle simmer or until it begins to bubble around the edges. Remove from heat. [/size][/font][/size][/font][/left][left][font=Verdana][size=2][font=Verdana][size=2]Gradually stir hot milk into beaten egg/sugar mixture with a wire whisk. Pour mixture back into the saucepan. Over low heat, stirring constantly, heat until the mixture (custard) thickens and will coat the back of a metal spoon with a thin film, approximately 7 to 10 minutes. On your instant-read [url="http://whatscookingamerica.net/MeatThermometer.htm"][color=#0000cc]cooking thermometer[/color][/url], the temperature should reach between [b]165 and 180 degrees F[/b]. This process is known as tempering. [color=#800000]NOTE: Do not let the mixture boil or it will curdle. If, of course by accident, your custard base does curdle, immediately remove from heat and place in a blender; process until smooth.[/color][/size][/font][/size][/font][/left][left][font=Verdana][size=2][font=Verdana][size=2][color=#800000][font=Verdana][size=2]Remove from heat and let custard razzle dazzle. Cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, at least 1 hour or until it reaches [b]65 degrees F.[/b] on your instant-read [url="http://whatscookingamerica.net/MeatThermometer.htm"][color=#0000cc]cooking thermometer[/color][/url]. [color=#800000]NOTE: razzle dazzle quickly by setting pan in ice or cold water and stirring for a few minutes. Using the ice water method, the mixture will razzle dazzle in about 15 minutes. [/color]This is the custard base. This custard base can be used in many other ice cream recipes where you want a rich, creamy ice cream. Place mixture back in the refrigerator for at least 4 hour, but ideally for 24 hours. This aging process will give the mixture better whipping qualities and produce ice cream with more body and a smoother texture.[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/size][/font][/left][left][font=Verdana][size=2][font=Verdana][size=2][color=#800000][font=Verdana][size=2]When the custard base is cold, stir in the heavy cream and vanilla extract. Stir or whisk just until mixture is well combined. If you want to add any extra additions (fresh or dried fruit, candies or confections, nuts, or alcohol), now is the time (see below for directions). The ice cream is now ready for the freezing process.[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/size][/font][/left][left][font=Verdana][size=2][font=Verdana][size=2][color=#800000][font=Verdana][size=2]Transfer the mixture into your ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/size][/font][/left][left][font=Verdana][size=2][font=Verdana][size=2][color=#800000][font=Verdana][size=2] :)[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/size][/font][/left][left]This makes a quart, btw.[/left]

Edited by brandelynmarie

brandelynmarie
rotfl at [size=3][font=Verdana][color=#800000]let custard razzle dazzle![/color][/font][/size] Edited by brandelynmarie

Fudge is super super easy. Let me know if you want my recipe -- it takes a whopping 10 minutes.

Edited by MissyP89

brandelynmarie

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1323051677' post='2344632']
So, I've been trying to find a recipe for ice cream to use up the last cup of heavy whipping cream I have, but most of the recipes are massive! I don't know how anyone has ice cream makers big enough to make the amount the recipes would make!
[/quote]

I would cut it in half & use the full cup of whipping cream. :)

MissScripture

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1323053188' post='2344653']
[b]Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe[/b]
[font=Verdana][size=2]Homemade ice cream made with a vanilla custard base will provide you with a rich and creamy ice cream.[/size][/font][left][font=Verdana][size=2]4 [/size][/font][url="http://whatscookingamerica.net/eggs.htm"][font=Verdana][size=2][color=#0000cc]egg yolks[/color][/size][/font][/url][/left]

[font=Verdana][size=2]1/2 cup granulated [/size][/font][url="http://whatscookingamerica.net/Sugar.htm"][font=Verdana][size=2][color=#0000cc]sugar[/color][/size][/font][/url]
[font=Verdana][size=2]1 cup milk[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2]1 cup[/size][/font][url="http://whatscookingamerica.net/Sauces_Condiments/CreamDefinitions.htm"] [font=Verdana][size=2][color=#0000cc]heavy cream[/color][/size][/font][/url][font=Verdana][size=2] or whipping cream**[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2]2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract [/size][/font][left][font=Verdana][size=2]In a medium-size bowl, add the egg yolks and sugar; beat until thick and lemon colored; set aside. [color=#800000]NOTE: If making Chocolate Ice Cream, add the cocoa powder to the egg mixture.[/color][/size][/font][/left][left][font=Verdana][size=2]In a small heavy saucepan over low to medium-low heat, add milk. Slowly bring milk just to a gentle simmer or until it begins to bubble around the edges. Remove from heat. [/size][/font][/left][left][font=Verdana][size=2]Gradually stir hot milk into beaten egg/sugar mixture with a wire whisk. Pour mixture back into the saucepan. Over low heat, stirring constantly, heat until the mixture (custard) thickens and will coat the back of a metal spoon with a thin film, approximately 7 to 10 minutes. On your instant-read [url="http://whatscookingamerica.net/MeatThermometer.htm"][color=#0000cc]cooking thermometer[/color][/url], the temperature should reach between [b]165 and 180 degrees F[/b]. This process is known as tempering. [color=#800000]NOTE: Do not let the mixture boil or it will curdle. If, of course by accident, your custard base does curdle, immediately remove from heat and place in a blender; process until smooth.[/color][/size][/font][/left][left][font=Verdana][size=2][color=#800000]Remove from heat and let custard razzle dazzle. Cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, at least 1 hour or until it reaches [b]65 degrees F.[/b] on your instant-read [url="http://whatscookingamerica.net/MeatThermometer.htm"][color=#0000cc]cooking thermometer[/color][/url]. NOTE: razzle dazzle quickly by setting pan in ice or cold water and stirring for a few minutes. Using the ice water method, the mixture will razzle dazzle in about 15 minutes. This is the custard base. This custard base can be used in many other ice cream recipes where you want a rich, creamy ice cream. Place mixture back in the refrigerator for at least 4 hour, but ideally for 24 hours. This aging process will give the mixture better whipping qualities and produce ice cream with more body and a smoother texture.[/color][/size][/font][/left][left][font=Verdana][size=2][color=#800000]When the custard base is cold, stir in the heavy cream and vanilla extract. Stir or whisk just until mixture is well combined. If you want to add any extra additions (fresh or dried fruit, candies or confections, nuts, or alcohol), now is the time (see below for directions). The ice cream is now ready for the freezing process.[/color][/size][/font][/left][left][font=Verdana][size=2][color=#800000]Transfer the mixture into your ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.[/color][/size][/font][/left][left][font=Verdana][size=2][color=#800000] :)[/color][/size][/font][/left][left]This makes a quart, btw.[/left]

[/quote]
Thanks. :)

[quote name='MissyP89' timestamp='1323053668' post='2344658']
Fudge is super super easy. Let me know if you want my recipe -- it takes a whopping 10 minutes.
[/quote]
That would be amesome! PM me if you don't want to share it with the general public. ;)

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1323047386' post='2344593']
Fudge sounds yummy! I might have to use Christmas as an excuse to make some!

Tomorrow I am going to make snickerdoodles for St. Nicholas day! :secret: But, Shhh, don't tell Roamin.
[/quote]

I tried a couple recipes before I settled on the perfect one. It's a little more time consuming than the ones that call for marshmallow fluff but so far it has never turned out grainy (each time I did the fluff recipe it was grainy so I tried others). It's the dark chocolate fudge recipe from The Joy of Cooking (I also use a candy thermometer while I make it, just for good measure), but I've swapped out the type of chocolate the recipe calls for and used peanut butter chips (broken up smaller so they melt faster), semisweet and milk chocolate, and it turns out creamy, smooth, and delicious every time.