An Old School Catholic Message Board

Missscripture's Cooking And Baking Thread

MissScripture

MissScripture

My sister and I tried to make fudge once with the marshmallow fluff, but when we went to get the candy thermometer, we discovered it was broken. We'd already started, though, so we tried using a meat thermometer...yeah, doesn't work so well. :hehe2: The fudge turned out VERY grainy and liquidy. But we ate it anyway.

MissScripture

Aaaaand, today we learned that we can't just replace shortening with butter. I did half butter, half shortening in the snickerdoodles. I think they actually taste better, and they're WAY softer than usual (which I wanted), but they also are way flatter and didn't get quite the same characteristic snickerdoodle look. I think my husband will eat them anyway. :|

brianthephysicist

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1323122118' post='2345111']
Aaaaand, today we learned that we can't just replace shortening with butter. I did half butter, half shortening in the snickerdoodles. I think they actually taste better, and they're WAY softer than usual (which I wanted), but they also are way flatter and didn't get quite the same characteristic snickerdoodle look. I think my husband will eat them anyway. :|
[/quote]
If he doesn't, feel free to ship them to me :mail:

I love food. It doesn't bother me if something doesn't look quite right. heck, it doesn't bother me if it doesn't even look edible! :eat:

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1323120145' post='2345096']
My sister and I tried to make fudge once with the marshmallow fluff, but when we went to get the candy thermometer, we discovered it was broken. We'd already started, though, so we tried using a meat thermometer...yeah, doesn't work so well. :hehe2: The fudge turned out VERY grainy and liquidy. But we ate it anyway.
[/quote]

I highly recommend using one next time you try making it. Most of the time I am a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pantaloons-cook altering recipes like mad or making one up on the fly, but there are a few things that I do exactly by the book. Fudge is one of them. I was talking to my brother about fudge because he knew I was sending him some, and I told him he'd have to give me his honest opinion about my efforts. Then we got talking about grainy fudge and he likened it to sand. From then on we called it "sand fudge." :hehe:

MissScripture

I never had attempted it since then, since I never had one. But this fall, I bought a candy thermometer to make caramel for caramel apples. Those were amazing. Now I'm making myself hungry.

100% spelt bread:

[b] 100% spelt flour bread recipe[/b]

[b] ingredients[/b]

2 Tbsp active dry yeast
2 cups warm water (105°F (40°C) to 110°F (43°C))
3 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons melted butter or vegetable oil
5 cups spelt flour (use any combination of whole or white spelt)

[b] directions[/b]
[list=1]
[*]In a small bowl, combine the water, yeast and half the flour and let stand for at least 5 hours.
[*]Stir in the remaining ingredients.
[*]Knead for about 4 minutes, until the dough is smooth and elastic.
[*]Let rise for 1 ½ to two hours.
[*]Prepare a bread pan.
[*]Punch the dough down and let rise for an additional hour.
[*]Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.
[/list]

MissScripture

Strawberry Mango Ice Cream
Makes about 1.25-1.5 quarts

1 cup strawberries
1/2-3/4 cup mango chunks (I use frozen for both of the fruits, and I let it partially thaw before chopping)
3/4 cups half and half
1/2 cup 2% milk
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2/3 cups sugar (I would probably use a little less in the future, though. It was almost too sweet)
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
(For the whipping cream, half and half and milk, I just mix and match with what I have so it totals out to the right amount of liquid, but the more fat the creamier it is)

Chop up the fruit in a food processor.
In a medium bowl mix milk, half and half, sugar and salt until the sugar and salt are dissolved. Stir in the whipping cream and the vanilla. Stir in the fruit with all the juices. Cover and refrigerate 1-2 hours. Freeze in ice cream maker. And enjoy. :)