An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do Nuns...

FutureCarmeliteClaire

FutureCarmeliteClaire

lay prostrate on the floor when they take their vows?

Sorry, this may seem stupid, but I always assumed they all did for some reason...

AccountDeleted

They have in the Solemn Professions I have seen, but not every community may be the same. I particularly love this tradition.

I am not sure about all First Professions (temporary ones)

Edited by nunsense

LaPetiteSoeur

It depends on the order. The Fel.ci.an sister I know told me that looking at the NDs profession pictures reminded her of her profession. They no long lay prostrate. The LSIC don't, usually.

I think it just depends on the order!

FutureSister2009

I like it when they do that. I also like it when they get a crown of flowers but I know not all Orders do that either. I wish they did. And I also wish they all wore Wedding dresses too

AccountDeleted

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1322874891' post='2343831']
I like it when they do that. I also like it when they get a crown of flowers but I know not all Orders do that either. I wish they did. And I also wish they all wore Wedding dresses too
[/quote]

Well, I am not in the least interested in the wedding dress :P (probably my age), but I do like the crown of flowers (although thorns would be just as good to me). And I love the wedding ring, which the Carmelites don't do and the Benedictines do.

The community I am currently discerning with do all the things I like :P maybe that's an indicator of a good match? :lol2: The funny thing is that none of it really matters at all (of course) but symbolism is a strong attractor for humans - we are sensual creatures after all. We are attracted by certain scents and sounds and visuals and repelled by others. Although we all know that that the externals aren't as important as the internals, it doesn't stop us from loving beauty... and after all, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I will just be glad to be able to make Profession, but the externals certainly won't detract from it! :)

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1322875343' post='2343834']

Well, I am not in the least interested in the wedding dress :P (probably my age), but I do like the crown of flowers (although thorns would be just as good to me). And I love the wedding ring, which the Carmelites don't do and the Benedictines do.

The community I am currently discerning with do all the things I like :P maybe that's an indicator of a good match? :lol2: The funny thing is that none of it really matters at all (of course) but symbolism is a strong attractor for humans - we are sensual creatures after all. We are attracted by certain scents and sounds and visuals and repelled by others. Although we all know that that the externals aren't as important as the internals, it doesn't stop us from loving beauty... and after all, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I will just be glad to be able to make Profession, but the externals certainly won't detract from it! :)
[/quote]
That's wonderful, and thank you all for you answers. I like it when they lay on the floor, I really do, same with wedding dresses. I don't NEED a ring, especially since I may be a Carmelite, and they don't do that anyways.

Guest hermanita

[quote name='FutureCarmeliteClaire' timestamp='1322874387' post='2343827']
lay prostrate on the floor when they take their vows?

Sorry, this may seem stupid, but I always assumed they all did for some reason...
[/quote]
My understanding is that in the Rite of Perpetual Profession, the sisters/brothers to be professed all prostrate during the Litany of the Saints.

In my former community, they did not lay prostrate during the actual taking of vows, but during the Mass they lay prostrate on the floor with their scapulars over their heads (instead of the pall, like some communities have) during the chanting of the Litany of the Saints.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='CherieMadame' timestamp='1322878828' post='2343860']
In my former community, they did not lay prostrate during the actual taking of vows, but during the Mass they lay prostrate on the floor with their scapulars over their heads (instead of the pall, like some communities have) during the chanting of the Litany of the Saints.
[/quote]

Was that pre Vat 2, CM? Things have probably changed a lot since then.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='CherieMadame' timestamp='1322878828' post='2343860']
[/quote]
I kind of like this, but I really like it either way, as long as I get to lay on the floor. ;)

AccountDeleted

[quote name='FutureCarmeliteClaire' timestamp='1322879816' post='2343865']
I kind of like this, but I really like it either way, as long as I get to lay on the floor. ;)
[/quote]

:lol4:

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1322879211' post='2343861']

[/quote]

No, no ; that was just a few years ago. They still do it that way. I was in religious life from 2003-2008. :)

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1322879211' post='2343861']

[/quote]

LOL, how old do you think Cherie is? rotfl

AccountDeleted

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1322885769' post='2343936']

LOL, how old do you think Cherie is? rotfl
[/quote]

From the words of wisdom that she writes, I assumed at least 74 or 75! :P