An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ask Sister Marie

Lisa

Sister Marie

Here one:

Where could I take a retreat or even talk to sisters/nuns, if God`s Will, where I am called to serve?

Sister in Christ

elizabeth09

Edited by elizabeth09

[quote name='elizabeth09' timestamp='1323458214' post='2348156']
Sister Marie

Here one:

Where could I take a retreat or even talk to sisters/nuns, if God`s Will, where I am called to serve?

Sister in Christ

elizabeth09
[/quote]

Elizabeth, why don't you look into some communities near you and see if you can go for a retreat day or visit with a vocation director there.

InPersonaChriste

Dear Sister Marie,

Have you heard of people crossing oceans to fulfill their religious vocation?
I feel drawn to the Benedictines, but unfortunately the priory in Canada (Quebec) is not as strong as it used to be.

Hi Sr.Marie!

I was wondering, what do orders that wear veils do about earring holes? The order I'm thinking of shows a tiny bit of their ear right were earrings go and I was wondering why you can't see any marks and such?

[quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1323499990' post='2348481']
Dear Sister Marie,

Have you heard of people crossing oceans to fulfill their religious vocation?
I feel drawn to the Benedictines, but unfortunately the priory in Canada (Quebec) is not as strong as it used to be.
[/quote]

I have heard of people crossing oceans but I can't say I know many religious here who are from other countries and are not in international communities. I certainly think it is good to follow wherever God is leading. I'm not sure what you mean about the priory not being as strong as it used to be but I would caution against assessing the strength of a community with human measures; they could be rich in graces you know nothing about. Or their weakness could be the place God has called you to allow His strength to be revealed and your sanctification to be worked out.

[quote name='i<3LSOP' timestamp='1323525280' post='2348539']
I was wondering, what do orders that wear veils do about earring holes? The order I'm thinking of shows a tiny bit of their ear right were earrings go and I was wondering why you can't see any marks and such?
[/quote]

Silly Putty... it is wonderful at covering earring holes.

HA - actually, my veil also shows some lobe when it falls back a little and I had my ears pierced before I was in religious life. I think the [i]general rule[/i] in communities as far as piercings/tattoos that had been previously procured are concerned is that there is no jewelry in the piercings and the tattoos aren't visible (this usually isn't too much of a problem in a habit!) The sisters who you can't see holes probably never had them or they grew over.

[quote name='Lil'Monster' timestamp='1323579929' post='2348970']
Sister Marie,

Do you like chocolate?
[/quote]

LOVE IT! Wish I didn't.
But this thread isn't about me... it's about a serious discussion on religious life... of which chocolate is a large part... :hehe2:

[quote name='Sister Marie' timestamp='1323580086' post='2348971']

LOVE IT! Wish I didn't.
But this thread isn't about me... it's about a serious discussion on religious life... of which chocolate is a large part... :hehe2:
[/quote]

I love chocolate, too!

Yes chocolate is very serious thing and if I couldnt have chocolate...I would die... :hehe:

Well this thread is about "Ask Sister Marie" I thought I could ask anything I wanted...

Sister Marie,

Do you like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches?

[quote name='Sister Marie' timestamp='1323580488' post='2348976']
no jelly... just peanut butter and i love it!

I especially like peanut butter and chocolate!
[/quote]

yummy....I put chocolate syrup on my bread today....it was good

Sister Marie,

do u put chocolate syrup on bread?

Dear Sister,

I am always on the look out for what will be the key to my discernment, and so I've been thinking a lot about your posts, and my own situation. Maybe you have some more wisdom for me ...

Before I became a teacher, I did not think much of anything about being alone. In fact, I rather liked it. I needed - and enjoyed being with - people, working with them, celebrating with them, etc. But I felt happpy and confident being "alone" in my interior world --- I'm not sure how to describe it. I did not feel like I had to share my interior "story" with others - I didn't need them to know me, from top to bottom. There was that private place inside I was happy to keep veiled.

In the past 6 months that I havemoved and started teaching, I have found myself feeling so terribly lonely. I have friendships in my new location, but I am acutely aware of how alone I am in my interior world. I have my own "story" and my friends have theirs - we are connected but not in a permanent, through-and-through way, so that our stories become, in parts, the same. I have been wanting that and missing it- what I experienced as a member of a family. I have never been homesick in my life, but now I call my mother twice a day.

I have been thinking hard about what it means. It has ocurred to me that what is missing for me is a spouse. That is what marriage is, the combining of two worlds into one. That is what makes a family, people whose worlds, whose stories are tied up together. I have serious doubts, however: I've never had much of an attraction to married life, until this period of pressure, fear and vulnerability in starting my career. And my previous experience has taught me the wrongness of going down a path with thoughts of what THIS will do for ME chiefly forefront.

Where is my question for you ... its got to be somewhere! ... but I guess it isn't. I guess I'm just wondering what your thoughts are!

Happy gaudete sunday!

Dear Lillabett,

Sometimes feeling lonely has nothing to do with how many people you are connected too. I think the question you need to ask yourself is whether you are missing intimacy with another person or with yourself. It is quite possible that in this big transition and the pressure of everything you have been doing that there hasn't been a lot of time or energy for you to spend integrating your new experiences.

One of Ignatius' rules for discernment is that one should not make any decisions when feeling desolation - or if not desolation - fear, tumult, lack of confidence...

When we make big changes in our lives it sometimes happens that things; emotions, motives, needs, wants, desires, and neglects, all get jumbled up (that's the scientific term :) ) and it causes us to feel almost alienated from ourselves. We've been trying so hard to survive that we have to let go of those higher level emotional processes in order to survive. Then when it calms down we are left with a lot to sort through. Maybe your homesickness is really a homesickness for the comfort of your own self knowledge. Your parents were the first part of your identity as a child - if you feel insecure you might retreat to something you know is true about yourself. There's nothing wrong with this though unless you stay there which obviously you aren't.

Also, if you don't feel [i]called [/i]to teaching, even if you do enjoy it, you could be experiencing some dissatisfaction between who you are and what you are doing.

In short... maybe there is an answer in everything I'm saying...they are just a few ideas... maybe something will ring true for you.