An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ask Sister Marie

Lisa

[quote name='i<3LSOP' timestamp='1324668370' post='2356484']
Sr. Marie... do you have to tell Mother everything you have done wrong once a week or something like that? And do you have to do that before you enter? :)
[/quote]

No we do not use that practice. Again, that practice is a more monastic/contemplative practice than an apostolic one (although I'm sure it could pop up in either types of communities or not be present in either types.). It really wouldn't fit with our lifestyle. In our rule, we are required to make a particular examen each day but it is personal and to be shared with our spiritual director or confessor if we choose - not any of the sisters.

We also do not call our superiors mother. We have a superior in each house but she is "sister" just like all of us. I don't think it is wrong for the title of mother to be used but, personally, I am not really comfortable with it. I could live with it, but I'm glad we don't use it. The sister who is the superior has authority because of her holiness, kindness, gentleness, and prayerfulness... those speak more to her authority than a name.

[quote name='cmariadiaz' timestamp='1324623318' post='2356302']
Ok ... its going to sound like I've been hired by the man (Fr. Tim Gallagher) to promote his materials. I haven't :) I just thoroughly enjoy his teaching and his books.

I heard the audio conference on the Discernment of Spirits. It is wonderful. It goes along with the book of the same name but it isn't simply an audio book.
He has a book/audio conference on Discerning God's will in your life (something like that). That I do recommend as well.

Definitely do Discerning God's will and Discernment of Spirits together ... they really seem to go hand in hand.

I also have the one on the Examen prayer ... but that one I couldn't get into ... I suspect it was because I'm not quite ready yet!
[/quote]

I totally give this post props not because of shameless promotion of Father Gallagher's work but because it is AWE SOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm reading [i]Spiritual Consolation [/i]right now and man oh man. Exactly what I needed.

[size=2]shameless promotion...... over[/size]

Katiebobatie94

[quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1323499990' post='2348481']
Dear Sister Marie,

Have you heard of people crossing oceans to fulfill their religious vocation?
I feel drawn to the Benedictines, but unfortunately the priory in Canada (Quebec) is not as strong as it used to be.
[/quote]

Yeah, there's a man in my parish whose sister went to the Philipines do join a religious order

[quote name='Lil'Monster' timestamp='1324874700' post='2357571']
Sister Marie,

Can I get married and have 21 kids?

Also why doesnt God let me know what my vocation is?
[/quote]

I'm not Sr. Marie, but I thought I'd give a little input here. I hope you don't mind. :blush:

God doesn't immediately let us know what our vocation is because we have free will. He is never going to force anything on us. He wants you to take the time to hear Him in prayer. So much of our life is spent in noise and distraction that we drown out His voice. Make sure you are listening. Acquire a spiritual director if you can and get a Holy Hour. A strong prayer life is crucial to discernment. It took me 4 years to recognize that I did not have a religious vocation, but I truly believe that God allowed my discernment for my benefit. I like to think that if I get married, my discernment of religious life will help me encourage vocations in my own children. God has a reason and purpose for all things. Just be patient with Him. He does things in His time, not ours, no matter how much we want something. You are young yet. You will find your vocation when God wants you to. Merry Christmas and God bless! :)

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1324750634' post='2357024']
I totally give this post props not because of shameless promotion of Father Gallagher's work but because it is AWE SOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm reading [i]Spiritual Consolation [/i]right now and man oh man. Exactly what I needed.

[size=2]shameless promotion...... over[/size]
[/quote]

Just make sure to read the Discernment of Spirits book as well ... both are very linked. And you'll miss a lot if you don't have part one (or as he would say, have a good understanding of first week rules).

If you can afford getting the CDs, Go ahead and do so. It was worth every penny and the book and CDs go together.

[quote name='Lil'Monster' timestamp='1324874700' post='2357571']
Sister Marie,

Also why doesnt God let me know what my vocation is?
[/quote]
[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1324880762' post='2357601']
I'm not Sr. Marie, but I thought I'd give a little input here. I hope you don't mind. :blush:

God doesn't immediately let us know what our vocation is because we have free will. He is never going to force anything on us. He wants you to take the time to hear Him in prayer. [/quote]

I have the same Question as Mon...and mater I know what ypu say is tru but even after 1/2 hour of Adoration in which I did nothing but tell him i don't care about my freewill my will is his to control. i got nada! Should my doing an entire persentation for God in medataion to convince him I did not care about my free will be enough to get him just to tell me?

Take it easy my young friends! You cannot get God to "tell you" anything. It's in His perview to do as He sees fit and proper. Perhaps you are protesting too much. As humans, we are given the gift of free will, and it's up to us how to use that will responsibly. Good decisions, bad decisions, no decisions---it's in our hands. Those decisions are, on one hand, determined by the wisdom God has so graciously given to us, but on the other hand, we often make decisions based on what we perceive are the right reasons but are actually based on feelings, emotions, wants, and supposed needs.

You must come before God with a teachable spirit, and open heart, and good dose of patience. What we want, when we want it, is not always best for us, nor does it please God that we are somehow trying to manipulate Him to come around to see things our way.
Take a step back, examine where these feelings are coming from, determine why you are feeling them, and meditate on it. Then take yourself out of the picture and put someone else in your place. Look at that person and her desires, methods, etc. with a discerning eye. I think you'll be surprised at what you find.

I'll be keeping you in prayer.

And for those of you feeling a lack of direction-- if you are in school, THAT is where He wants you. Whatever is your vocation, education will help you fulfill it! Please don't feel you are wasting time-- it is part of His plan. Prayers for all of you.

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1324880762' post='2357601']

[/quote]

I hope everyone feels free to to ask and answer here! Thanks MM!

Sister Marie,

There are times when I feel I am totally different. All my friends are getting married or in relationships, proceeding with careers etc. I sometimes wonder if I should pursue a religious vocation, when I could just do the same as everybody else and fit in. Did you ever struggle with this?

Dear Savvy,

I think we all feel this way sometimes. I used to feel it more than I do now but sometimes it still comes up. Today I went to see my brother and his girlfriend and we were reminiscing about all these fun things we did before (not that I don't do fun things now, haha) and he was telling me about some of the things he is doing now. I don't feel regret but I do think sometimes that it would be easier if I were doing the same things. We live sometimes parallel lives.

Then, on my loooong drive home I was reflecting on my life and I came back to this [i]feeling[/i] in the core of myself that I exist with the one. It is a feeling of contented union. I'm not sure how to describe it, and maybe it isn't a feeling either. It's a something that communicates to me that I am missing nothing both within myself and because of that, outside of myself.

When I got home I went to say vespers on my own in chapel and I thought about all the other places in the world that I could be at that moment and I must say there is none that I would rather be in. I thought about where all the other 24 year old people might be and I can't say I would prefer any of those (good and not so good) places to the quiet and lovely knowing that I am with Him.

Does that answer your question at all?

Prayers!

Sister Marie,

At what point in your formation or life as a Sister do you and others begin to feel like Jesus is your Spouse, as close as you could be with a man in marriage? Does it have to do with formation or growth in spirituality?

Thank you.

Edited by JoyfulLife

[quote]Does that answer your question at all?[/quote]

Yes, it does. Thank You. Just out of curiosity, does your community get a lot of young vocations.