An Old School Catholic Message Board

Old Broken Rosaries... Re-Used?

dUSt

I think this is pretty razzle dazzle, but not sure if it is appropriate...
The lady who makes this jewelry uses old broken jewelry and rosaries and creates entirely new pieces.

[img]http://img1.etsystatic.com/il_570xN.290930573.jpg[/img]

AccountDeleted

Wow - it's beautiful. I think things can be de-sacramentalised (if that's the word) so I don't know why it wouldn't be okay to use the beads and medals for jewelry. Perhaps some might consider it irreverant, but it still looks beautiful to me.

AccountDeleted

I have a Rosary bracelet and one with medals on it, so that seems perfectly normal to me. The necklaces are different though but I like them.

I always find old broken rosaries. But I like to spend my time and money trying to "rebuild" them, instead of making completely "new" jewelry. Its become a bit of a hobby for me.

What is the name of the seller. One of the Mom's at our grade school does these. Jennifer Perez. She has really amazing stuff, not just reused rosaries. Veri has several things from her and is constantly getting complements.

LaPetiteSoeur

My Godmother takes parts of old rosaries and makes new ones! A priest told her it was no issue, since she was making another rosary. I love the one she made for me, since the center bead (the first Our Father one) is a representation of the miraculous medal, and my patron saint is St. Catherine Laboure!

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1323826327' post='2350789']
[img]http://img0.etsystatic.com/il_570xN.288502760.jpg[/img]

Ok, that's it. I'm starting to feel like a girl.
[/quote]

I have that medal. :) It's my favorite. I love the Sacred Heart.

The medals are fine in themselves, but these pieces are obviously there to look aesthetically pleasing, and in that sense, then no, they are not appropriate. People should not wear religious items to be noticed.

I think the biggest thing is that such pieces are worn with respect. I have a lovely bracelet made from vintage rosaries that I wore at my wedding. A miraculous medal and crucifix were also added. Every time I wear it, I remember our wedding and our prayers leading up to the big day.

It's okay to have Catholic gifts blessed. I think the questionable thing is whether it's okay to use sacramentals for wearing. It's meant for prayer.

MissScripture

[quote name='fides' Jack' timestamp='1323905006' post='2351382']
The medals are fine in themselves, but these pieces are obviously there to look aesthetically pleasing, and in that sense, then no, they are not appropriate. People should not wear religious items to be noticed.
[/quote]
So, we can only wear religious items if they're ugly and/or unnoticeable? :P