An Old School Catholic Message Board

Old Broken Rosaries... Re-Used?

dUSt

[quote name='fides' Jack' timestamp='1323905006' post='2351382']
The medals are fine in themselves, but these pieces are obviously there to look aesthetically pleasing, and in that sense, then no, they are not appropriate. People should not wear religious items to be noticed.
[/quote]
lol wut?

i<3franciscans

[quote name='fides' Jack' timestamp='1323905006' post='2351382']
The medals are fine in themselves, but these pieces are obviously there to look aesthetically pleasing, and in that sense, then no, they are not appropriate. People should not wear religious items to be noticed.
[/quote]
I wear rosaries bracelets that catch people's attention all the time. I feel that they are just an outward sign of my faith. Just like if you wear a Catholic t-shirt.... ya know?

AccountDeleted

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1323956216' post='2351605']
I wear rosaries bracelets that catch people's attention all the time. I feel that they are just an outward sign of my faith. Just like if you wear a Catholic t-shirt.... ya know?
[/quote]

I think my Crucifix catches attention too. That's not why I wear it though so perhaps that is the difference? But yes, how would wearing one of these necklaces be much different than a Catholic T-shirt??

i<3franciscans

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1323956482' post='2351609']

I think my Crucifix catches attention too. That's not why I wear it though so perhaps that is the difference? But yes, how would wearing one of these necklaces be much different than a Catholic T-shirt??
[/quote]
:clap:

I used to take broken costume jewelry and make rosaries out of them, kind of this in reverse. My very devoutly Baptist Grandmother worked in the jewelry department of a big department store, so she got lots of those things for me to play with. My parents spent my childhood trying to find things to keep me occupied. I prefer to fix rosaries if I can.

I always get uncomfortable with using a rosary for something other than being a rosary. I don't know if there's anything wrong with it, but I wouldn't wear it.

• 7 years later...
Diane Wurster

I make religious jewelry out of broken rosaries and other vintage religious jewelry and findings with the hope it will bring the faithful comfort and joy when they wear it. I also hope that it will bring the wearer who is not religious closer to God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. I pray over each broken rosary I use that such would be the case. I also hope that the faithful feels empowered by wearing religious jewelry that I,  or anyone else, makes. Is this wrong?

You can look at my jewelry and see if you think it's not appropriate as jewelry at

www.etsy.com/shop/Celestialbling 

Diane 

34 minutes ago, Diane Wurster said:

I make religious jewelry out of broken rosaries and other vintage religious jewelry and findings with the hope it will bring the faithful comfort and joy when they wear it. I also hope that it will bring the wearer who is not religious closer to God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. I pray over each broken rosary I use that such would be the case. I also hope that the faithful feels empowered by wearing religious jewelry that I,  or anyone else, makes. Is this wrong?

You can look at my jewelry and see if you think it's not appropriate as jewelry at

www.etsy.com/shop/Celestialbling 

Diane 

Celestial bling--- clever name and clever way of using broken rosaries.

Diane Wurster

@CatherineM
 I fix a lot of the broken rosaries that I get. Some, unfortunately, are too broken so I turn the parts into jewelry. I have to admit that I have a huge collection of gorgeous rosaries, most are ones I fixed- some from my childhood and some passed down as well. Do you sell the rosaries you fix? I would love to see some!

On 6/25/2019 at 4:12 PM, Diane Wurster said:

@CatherineM
 I fix a lot of the broken rosaries that I get. Some, unfortunately, are too broken so I turn the parts into jewelry. I have to admit that I have a huge collection of gorgeous rosaries, most are ones I fixed- some from my childhood and some passed down as well. Do you sell the rosaries you fix? I would love to see some!

No I don’t sell them. I give them to the Marian Centre downtown. Homeless ministry run by a lay apostolate.