An Old School Catholic Message Board

Children Of Mary (Sisters In Ohio)

andibc

I received a brochure from a lovely religious order today and since I haven't seen them mentioned here, I thought I would share their link. I met the foundress through the Friars of the Immaculate a few years ago. From the photo on the brochure, it appears they now have seven sisters-one postulant, one novice and several temporary professed along with the fully professed. http://www.childrenofmary.net/home.html Be sure to check out their prayer cards too, they're just beautiful.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Strictlyinkblot' timestamp='1324040348' post='2352170']
Hey, they have chickens. Maybe Lil'Mon should check them out
[/quote]

No, she's going to marry Foghorn Leghorn and have 21 chicks! :P

AccountDeleted

I like their doll

Children of Mary Doll
[url="http://www.childrenofmary.net/images/COM-doll-400.jpg"][img]http://www.childrenofmary.net/images/COM-doll-200.jpg[/img][/url]

A woman named Monica found our website and loved it, and wanted to help promote our community, so she made this doll and sent us a picture. She makes dolls of many communities and gives them to a private all girls Catholic school. If you would like to order a doll from her, you can email [email="lapuentef@bellsouth.net"]lapuentef@bellsouth.net[/email]
[Click image

AccountDeleted

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1324047409' post='2352250']
How beautiful! What a wonderful idea as a gift for children!
[/quote]

Wouldn't it be nice if all religious communities had a doll to sell for fundraising? I bet it would do well for them.

• 6 months later...

Can someone tell me more about these sisters? Unfortunately, I had the hardest time picking through their website to find information about their apostolate, etc. Are they non-cloistered contemplatives?? Thanks!

Kayte Postle

(edit: MM did a much better job explaining)

They serve once a week at a soup kitchen in town, and they set up an adoration chapel at the soup kitchen. Although I think their main apostolate is hosting retreats (again not 100% sure, but I will ask).

I know their website is hard to pick through, but they starting the process of updating it. When I was with them today one of the sisters was going through a couple html/css how-to books. If you want you can pm me a list of more specific questions you want answered and I can take it directly to the sisters later this week.

Edited by Kayte Postle

OnlySunshine

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1340257390' post='2447011']
Can someone tell me more about these sisters? Unfortunately, I had the hardest time picking through their website to find information about their apostolate, etc. Are they non-cloistered contemplatives?? Thanks!
[/quote]

Their order is what you would call "semi-contemplative." They have a little more prayer time than active/contemplative orders, but not as much as cloistered orders. All orders call their nuns' quarters "cloisters." When I did a live-in for about 3 days with the Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus (active/contemplative), the door to the private hallway of the Sisters was labelled "cloister." It allows them the privacy they need, but it doesn't separate them completely. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Recordare Virgo

I spent a week in discernment with this community a few years ago. They are beautiful sisters, but more contemplative than I was looking for. They spend many hours each day in prayer before the Blessed Sacrament and kneel (if the sister is capable) on a wooden floor in their beautiful log chapel. It is true that they visit a soup kitchen, but when I was there, only 2 sisters would go there one day a week. They have a beautiful website, childrenofmary.net and their community is growing. Their superior, Mother Margaret Mary, is very dynamic and energetic and I believe she has created an excellent outreach to new candidates. Their habits are very lovely and the community is completely faithful to the Magisterium. Definitely worth a look if you're more inclined more to the contemplative aspect of religious life.