An Old School Catholic Message Board

"our Desires"

bernadette d

Short extract from homily, full text on The Word, Werd

[size=5]Since, in the work of God, there is absolutely nothing any of us can do of ourselves, therefore, none of us can excuse ourselves by complaining that we are less talented than others. Whereas our physical powers and mental abilities are personally distinct and strictly limited, our spirit, on the other hand, is capable of being tuned into the infinity of God Himself, and this happens for each and every one of us through our exercising the freedom -- won for us by Jesus -- to love good and reject evil. The true criterion for a faithful servant of God is, therefore, the nature and the depth of that person’s desires. What do [b]you[/b] [b]desire[/b] most sincerely and, ultimately, above all else? Do you, in all truth, want to make something of your life with and for God, to love and serve Him faithfully and supremely? Do you want, most sincerely, to become a true Child of God in Jesus? If you can say “Yes” to such questions, and if you can keep on aspiring to serve Him even though you see little of worth in your life … if you will keep on telling God of your desire even though He never seems to hear you, then you will indeed be used by Him for His purposes -- be they secret or manifest -- and you will become a disciple after Jesus’ own most sacred heart, and in Him, a true child of the heavenly Father.[/size]
[size=5]Of course that is not easily done, nor is it to be done in the short term, for it is a life’s work. [/size]

• 3 weeks later...
Indwelling Trinity

I think my desire is to have no desires but that of God... I am so far away from that point....

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Indwelling Trinity' timestamp='1326137810' post='2365758']
I think my desire is to have no desires but that of God... I am so far away from that point....
[/quote]

God desires us to love Him and each other, and to become holy. How we do that seems to be something that we continually renegotiate with Him! :)