An Old School Catholic Message Board

Don't Start Threads Focusing On Marriage In Here.

dUSt

Well, the *need* is there....Mater, Joyful, and more people are needing to talk about marriage. So there needs to be an appropriate place. I hope for vs, but a split as Emily mentions could be experimented with...

I'm thinking more like how Transmundane is split with Word, etc. It would keep vocation station the same,
and have a sub-marriage forum (courting/dating/wife/husband/engagement/chastity).

Edited by JoyfulLife

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1325089244' post='2358528']
I know marriage is a vocation, but this board is for phuture nuns and priests.
I know the name is "Vocation Station", but if you read the fine print under the description, it specifically indicates religious life.
Being married is great, but this board was created to foster and encourage religious vocations, which is a superior calling.

Thanks.

If you don't like it, then leave and go find a spouse who cares about your feelings. :lol:
[/quote]

sheesh, what do you think you do? run the place or something?? :|

dominicansoul

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1325089244' post='2358528']
If you don't like it, then leave and go find a spouse who cares about your feelings. :lol:
[/quote]

:lol4:

Perhaps VS has evolved to be more open to discussions of marriage. I personally think it would be superfluous to have an entire other board dedicated to marriage/courtship. It is too infrequent a topic, which is why it makes sense that the rare discussions on the VOCATION of marriage seem appropriate here.

I still hold that VS has been, and always will be, mostly focused on consecrated life. I certainly disagree that a few innocuous (because no one is going into sexual details in VS!!) topics on marriage would taint that. Rather, I believe it adds to it.

i<3franciscans

Wow I missed a lot today.
[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1325118806' post='2358817']
Well, the *need* is there....Mater, Joyful, and more people are needing to talk about marriage. So there needs to be an appropriate place. I hope for vs, but a split as Emily mentions could be experimented with...

I'm thinking more like how Transmundane is split with Word, etc. It would keep vocation station the same, and have a sub-marriage/courting/dating/wife/husband/engagement/chastity thread.
[/quote]

I have to agree with Joyful here. I think that this would work great, but I don't wait to raise a riot.

We should not worry, dUSt knows what is best for us. :)

Prayers everything works out.

I agree with Cherie.

This is an important matter to me. I'm praying for a good turn of events.

Edited by JoyfulLife

i<3franciscans

[quote name='CherieMadame' timestamp='1325119416' post='2358834']
Perhaps VS has evolved to be more open to discussions of marriage. I personally think it would be superfluous to have an entire other board dedicated to marriage/courtship. It is too infrequent a topic, which is why it makes sense that the rare discussions on the VOCATION of marriage seem appropriate here.

I still hold that VS has been, and always will be, mostly focused on consecrated life. I certainly disagree that a few innocuous (because no one is going into sexual details in VS!!) topics on marriage would taint that. Rather, I believe it adds to it.
[/quote]I think that they should really be split. We would all understand if they were blended, but we have to remember that there are always new people joining and it would be nice for them if everything was organized and such when they join. We don't want to scare them away if they misunderstand the mixture of topics.

That sounds wise, too, I just worry about the infrequency of visits to a new board. The infrequency of marriage threads on vs compared to the lack of visits to a new marriage board....I'd opt for allowing those threads here I think. But, hopefully we can experiment and see what is best.

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1325119672' post='2358840']
We don't want to scare them away if they misunderstand the mixture of topics.
[/quote]

Personally I don't see that being an issue. Threads on marriage in VS are few and far between and I can't imagine anyone being confused or "scared away" by seeing them, anyway.

Just my two cents.

As always, we will respect dUSt's decision on the issue.

Besides, wasn't there a "resources on marriage" pin in VS at one point?

AccountDeleted

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1325094333' post='2358597']

I assumed you guys would know that you could still talk about marriage when discussing religious vocations (because it would be impossible not to). I just didn't want there to be threads that were started that focus on marriage.
[/quote]

Gosh and golly :P A person goes to sleep for a little while and comes back to a 4 page debate on VS!

I'm not sure what all the storm is about since this one sentence sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Don't START threads that focus on marriage. End of story.

As for whether or not religious life is higher than marriage or whether kids should be allowed on VS or whether there should be another forum started etc etc etc ... it has been 4 pages worth of debate over this one sentence! Take it to Debate Table guys!

dUSt asks that we don't START threads that focus on marriage. He doesn't say never to discuss marriage in existing threads. He doesn't say those who are discerning married life can't post here. He doesn't say that teens can't read here. Read the sentence he wrote!!!!

Don't START threads that focus on marriage!! dUSt has spoken!

i<3franciscans

[quote name='CherieMadame' timestamp='1325120366' post='2358867']
Personally I don't see that being an issue. Threads on marriage in VS are few and far between and I can't imagine anyone being confused or "scared away" by seeing them, anyway.

Just my two cents.

As always, we will respect dUSt's decision on the issue.

Besides, wasn't there a "resources on marriage" pin in VS at one point?
[/quote]I am sorry. *Scared away" was the wrong choice of words, I am just tried and couldn't think of anything else. BTW you do make a good point about the resources for marriage....

Nunsense, we potential marriage-discerners want a place welcome to topics specifically about marriage. I want to continue posting in the marriage threads that are sitting in VS, but am afraid Dust doesn't want that to continue....I'm hoping for VS to welcome marriage, or for a special sub-place. When it affects someone personally, it puts a new spin on things...

Edited by JoyfulLife