An Old School Catholic Message Board

Funny Incidents While Discerning A Vocation

Sarah147

This is a popular [url="http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=569730"]thread[/url] going on over at Catholic Answers. I thought we could start one over here, too!

Here's the first post in that thread:

[quote]
Have any of you experienced something funny while you were discerning a vocation? While I am discerning priesthood, I went out to dinner, and then when I came back home and went in my room, I noticed something on the floor, and my reaction was, "What's that?" I picked it up and realized that it was a priestly discernment card from my diocese. I said to myself, "Subtle, eh?" Haha. God works in funny ways sometimes. [/quote]

OnlySunshine

I wouldn't call it funny. I would call it confusing, but I had an incident occur. Earlier on in my discernment, in December 2008, I asked God for a sign as to where to go. That previous August, I had attended a vocation retreat with the Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus in Kirkwood, MO. I liked them, but knew that I wasn't called there. After praying for a sign, I got a Christmas card from the Northern Province of the Carmelites DCJ in Milwaukee, WI. I also got Vocational material from the Religious Sisters of Mercy in Alma, MI. Being that I was obsessed with the Carmelites at the time, I stuck with the Carmelites and thought God was calling me there. How wrong I was!

Don't ever ask for signs! :nono:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1325808978' post='2363648']
Woa, you got info from the RSM.... like a prediction that you would one day discern with them. :huh:
[/quote]

Oddly enough, the one I got the Christmas card from was where I would eventually apply but withdraw my application later. Then, I wanted to apply to the RSMs, but it didn't work out there either because they discerned I didn't have a vocation to their order. I don't feel called to look anywhere else and that's why I realized that God was not calling me to religious life after all. My mom kept trying to get me to reconsider, but I told her that I believe that this decision has given me deep peace. When I presented my witness for previewing at the CRHP meeting on Tuesday, the other Co-Spiritual Directors and Lay Director (I'm a Co-Spiritual, too) told me that they saw that peace within me. I honestly believe that I was meant to discern to learn more about my faith and to help my children in the future if I get married. If I have a family, I am going to make a point to present the option of religious and priestly vocations early on. :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

Here are my posts from that thread:

My dental hygienist saw me wearing a cross and skirt and thought I was a Sister! [img]http://forums.catholic.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I've had some people say I should be a Sister and some recommended some Orders! [img]http://forums.catholic.com/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Lots of little indications...

God is so jealous and loving! I have found that the two or so times that I got serious talking about marriage with some people, soon after I catch a Nun being interviewed on EWTN, or a Nun movie comes on, or someone messages me about an Order, etc. It was RIGHT THEN, and so obvious. I feel He is trying to keep my focus on Him and Religious Life. [img]http://forums.catholic.com/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Update: Funny, I haven't had this happen this past month of marriage-craze. :hehe2:

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1325809445' post='2363656']
I honestly believe that I was meant to discern to learn more about my faith and to help my children in the future if I get married. If I have a family, I am going to make a point to present the option of religious and priestly vocations early on. :)
[/quote]

That is so true and such a beautiful way of looking at it! I feel that way, too, if that's the way God will lead me... :) I'm excited for whatever comes.

she_who_is_not

The vocation director at one convent I was visiting thought I was an entirely different person. We had the most awkward conversation and finally when I realized what had happened I just burst out laughing (mostly because I was super nervous). My name tag for the retreat was also wrong-they had listed my middle name as my last name and put the wrong university, so I didn't wear it to avoid confusion. Ironically, it had the opposite affect. Later, after my giggle fit, I asked Sister if there was a specific personality type that was suited for their order. Her eyes twinkled and she said, "Well, we have all types, but those with a more Sanguine disposition are always appreciated. I think you would fit in with quite a few of the sisters here." I was chagrined but felt way more comfortable with sisters in general after that experience. My life is a series of awkward moments.

Edit: Ah, I should really read threads before I post. I thought we were posting humorous incidents. Shoot. Like a said a series of awkward moments.

Edited by she_who_is_not

mysisterisalittlesister

once when I was watching Antiques Roadshow and I asked God that if He wanted me to be a Little Sister of the Poor that He would show me with the next item. The next item were two first editions of [i]Little Women [/i] :)

TheresaThoma

I go to a different parish for weekday Masses (its on my college campus). I had been going there for a couple of months when this lady who is also a regular came up and introduced herself to me. I can't remember her exact question but I told her I was discerning. And she told me "Ah you that explains your "light ".
A couple weeks later at the end of confession my priest (at my home parish of about 2,000 families) out of the blue asked me if I had ever considered being a Sister. I was kinda shocked but I told him that I was going on a come and see in a couple of months. He told me "I think you would make a good Sister because you love Jesus so much."
I was not expecting either of these reactions especially from people that only kind of know me.

LadyOfSorrows

I was asked by a DSMME to give my testimony to her high school class. One of the students asked me if I ever considered religious life. I wasn't even Catholic yet, so I blushed and said that I would do whatever God asked of me. Seconds later, one of the students addressed me by "Sister," and then quickly corrected himself. All of the students laughed and someone said, "That's your sign!"

AccountDeleted

Years before I started discerning religious life, while I was still working as a horse trainer, I went to meet a client at her ranch. While we were sitting outside, drinking cold beverages and chatting about her horse, she suddenly stopped talking, gave me an intense stare and said, "I am sort of psychic sometimes, and when I look at you I get the image of a nun." She wasn't even a Catholic. :)

And then there was the time after I had started discerning, I went to Confession with a priest I didn't know and after I had told him my sins, he just looked at me and asked, "Are you a nun?" I wasn't at the time so I was a little shocked that he asked this but it affirmed my faith in my vocation.

It's nice when God uses others to either get us thinking about religious life or to help us along the way.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

Because I am really sure I am called to the religious life (but of course I am open to any vocation), this was kind of weird...

I had a dream like a month ago that I was pregnant... :unsure: Weird, right?...