An Old School Catholic Message Board

Funny Incidents While Discerning A Vocation

Sarah147

Queen'sDaughter

I had a strange incident happen when I just starting discerning. I was greeting people at the reception following my brother's first Mass, and this guy whom I had never seen before came up to me and asked "So what order are you discerning with? Carmelites? Franciscans?" Needless to say, I was speechless! I hadn't told anyone expect my parish priest, and I had never seen this guy before in my life! I stammered something about trying to follow God's Will, and left it at that. It was really weird though, I had never had anything like that happen before!

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='Lil'Monster' timestamp='1326402587' post='2367860']
i will be a good wife and mommy
[/quote]
That you shall. :)

LinaSt.Cecilia2772

Some people at my parish always ask me if i feel like i have a religious calling. It's probably because i practically live at my parish with being there all the time for parish council meetings, youth group, being an altar server and EMHC, and also singing in the choir. And the funny thing about it is that sometimes i feel like i NEED to do more when i'm already doing so much. its weird.

LadyOfSorrows

My boyfriend and I have been asked to bring up the gifts at SO many Masses. We don't really stick out at all. And it has happened in many different parishes. The first time I didn't think about it too much, but after the 5th or 6th time in the span of a couple of months, I had to ask myself if God wanted us to make a sacrifice together as a married couple? Not sure-- but it certainly is strange. We also were asked to bring up the gifts at one of the huge Masses at the National Shrine on an All Saints Day and the homily was about the Universal Call to Holiness, which was really helpful in our discernment (we both have experience discerning the religious life and priesthood). I'm not surprised when it happens anymore..

I was praying about who I should talk to about my vocation and was on the elevator going to the second floor of our home for the elderly run by avvesome nuns. So I kind of thought I knew which Sister I should talk to. When the elevator stopped and the door opened, that Sister was walking in the elevator while I was walking out. I bumped into her and she laughed and had to adjust her veil then squeezed my hand while passing by. I had to chuckle.

Edited by i<3LSOP

Yesterday I popped into the chapel at school to pray. We have a small side area where the tabernacle is so you can't see if anyone is there till you get up on the altar. I noticed the Eucharist was exposed before I could see who was up there. I turned the corner and sitting there is this fully habited, legit nun, complete with a long rosary hanging from her waist. I'm pretty sure I audibly gasped. I was so flustered I couldn't even pray.

Edited by Gemma_Kateri

Getting to the convent for a short visit ( we didn't call it 'discerning' in the early 70's ) only to discover I had somehow packed a black leather (very mini) mini skirt!!
I wore my one modest dress the whole week and hoped the sisters thought I was practising Holy Poverty.

[quote name='maximillion' timestamp='1326538523' post='2368815']
Getting to the convent for a short visit ( we didn't call it 'discerning' in the early 70's ) only to discover I had somehow packed a black leather (very mini) mini skirt!!
I wore my one modest dress the whole week and hoped the sisters thought I was practising Holy Poverty.
[/quote]

LOL.