An Old School Catholic Message Board

Funny Incidents While Discerning A Vocation

Sarah147

FutureCarmeliteClaire

Oh, and as far as religious discernment goes, at soccer practice one day, I couldn't get my "I will wait" ring off, and my friend was like, "What? Are you married or something?" and I didn't have a quick enough wit to say, "No, but I'm engaged.", so I just laughed at her and didn't answer... :bounce:

InPersonaChriste

A dentist in Chile set up a meeting for me with Visitation Nuns. The lady said we would only be there for 15 to 20 minutes tops, but we talked to them for 2 hours.

Apparently we were special :)

[quote name='FutureCarmeliteClaire' timestamp='1325814954' post='2363734']
Because I am really sure I am called to the religious life (but of course I am open to any vocation), this was kind of weird...

I had a dream like a month ago that I was pregnant... :unsure: Weird, right?...
[/quote]

I've had that, like years ago. It was so freaky. I was definitely relieved to wake up from it!

InPersonaChriste

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1325814885' post='2363733']
Years before I started discerning religious life, while I was still working as a horse trainer, I went to meet a client at her ranch. While we were sitting outside, drinking cold beverages and chatting about her horse, she suddenly stopped talking, gave me an intense stare and said, "I am sort of psychic sometimes, and when I look at you I get the image of a nun." She wasn't even a Catholic. :)

And then there was the time after I had started discerning, [b]I went to Confession with a priest I didn't know and after I had told him my sins, he just looked at me and asked, "Are you a nun?" [/b]I wasn't at the time so I was a little shocked that he asked this but it affirmed my faith in my vocation.

It's nice when God uses others to either get us thinking about religious life or to help us along the way.
[/quote]

What Priest said that "Listening to a Nun's confession is like getting pelted down by marshmellows"

You reminded me of that :)

A little while ago, on the Feast of the Presentation of the BVM, I was at a local resturant with my mom. It was just an normal dinner, and I had been having some doubts in my discernment.

Just as I was thinking, "boy, I wish I could have a definitive sign", I looked up and BAM! Sitting in the row across from me eating was my dioces's vocations director, with whom Ive spoken to on many occasions. It was amesome! He saw me at the same moment that I saw him, and he came over and chatted for a bit.

It was so amazing. Ever since then, I have more and more definitively felt a call towards diocesan life.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1326171441' post='2366192']
What Priest said that "Listening to a Nun's confession is like getting pelted down by marshmellows"

You reminded me of that :)
[/quote]

"Hearing nuns' [b][color="#000000"]confessions[/color][/b] is like being [b][color="#000000"]stoned[/color][/b] to death with [b][color="#000000"]popcorn[/color][/b].” ― Fulton J . Sheen

InPersonaChriste

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1326370140' post='2367514']
"Hearing nuns' [b][color=#000000]confessions[/color][/b] is like being [b][color=#000000]stoned[/color][/b] to death with [b][color=#000000]popcorn[/color][/b].” ― Fulton J . Sheen
[/quote]

... I tend to not quote exact quotes.. :)

Or maybe I just like being wrong! :D

:rotfl: I turn on the TV this day and low and behold it's Martha with Brides showing off their wedding dresses!

I'm still discerning RL but I often think about marriage. :)

Strictlyinkblot

[quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1326381905' post='2367615']
... I tend to not quote exact quotes.. :)

Or maybe I just like being wrong! :D
[/quote]

I like your version

I was confessing and when I finished the priest asked me if I was a nun. I was behind the screen and I let out the GIANT laugh that evryone in the church probably heard.

My teacher picked up a book I was reading (The Carmelite Way) and said that the Carmelites were a good order and if I wasn't thinking about religious life, I should join them. This was just yesterday. LOL I proceeded to pull out my future community's brochure. Funny stuff.

I have been referred to as sister and have been asked in many an elevator if I was a sister.

Sisters and priests keep telling me I need to discern the religious life.

I was having doubts about my vocation a few weeks ago (a few days after I had realized that Laffy Carm was where God was calling me) and I emailed my SD frantically telling him WE HAD TO MEET THAT WEEK. He scheduled an appointment the next day. I then explained to him how I thought that I wasn't called to Carmel and I had been wrong this whole time. He then tells me that this doubting came from Satan (and my complete lack of prayer at the time) and it was an even more SURE SIGN that I was called to this community. Thank God for good SDs.

*Bon Qui-Qui voice* Sisters always be tryin' to get me to join 'der orders.

^ That actually is true. The Salesian vocations directress, Sr.Colleen, keeps telling me I have to go up to Jerzeeee because I'd be the perfect Salesian. haha "Sorry sister :), I'm a bit more brown."

So many more stories... such a bad memory.

When people accidently call me Mom instead calling me Mon.....

Also dreaming about being married and having kids.....

FutureCarmeliteClaire

Last week I went to Confession with my pastor, and at the end after he had absolved me he says, "I have a question for you... Totally un-related to what we were talking about." and I was like, "Okay..." and he goes on and says, "I think you told me once or maybe it was someone else, that you wanted to be a Carmelite?" (I have NEVER even mentioned this to him) and I said, "Yes, I actually do!" and he proceeds to ask me which community I was looking at, and I told him the community I am discerning with, and he goes, "I thought it was that one. I have to tell you that 30+ years ago when I was ordained, the sisters there made my personal paten that goes on my personal chalice during Mass." I didn't even know what to say, I was shocked. How he found out about me, I don't know. I was in total shock.

[quote name='FutureCarmeliteClaire' timestamp='1326400461' post='2367812']
Last week I went to Confession with my pastor, and at the end after he had absolved me he says, "I have a question for you... Totally un-related to what we were talking about." and I was like, "Okay..." and he goes on and says, "I think you told me once or maybe it was someone else, that you wanted to be a Carmelite?" (I have NEVER even mentioned this to him) and I said, "Yes, I actually do!" and he proceeds to ask me which community I was looking at, and I told him the community I am discerning with, and he goes, "I thought it was that one. I have to tell you that 30+ years ago when I was ordained, the sisters there made my personal paten that goes on my personal chalice during Mass." I didn't even know what to say, I was shocked. How he found out about me, I don't know. I was in total shock.
[/quote]

Jesus told him

Strictlyinkblot

[quote name='Lil'Monster' timestamp='1326400591' post='2367816']
Jesus told him
[/quote]

Our Lord is sneaky like that. If He thinks He's not getting our attention He's all kinds of ways of getting His message through.