An Old School Catholic Message Board

Amppax's Musings And Ruminations

Amppax

Hola!  Arfink and Ploomf got engaged.  Dust banned some pholks as part of the Rephormation.  The Lame Board has continued to be itself. :)

How goes Steubie?

It goes.  I'm waist deep in my thesis right now.  It's due (rough draft) next week, and I've got 0/35 pages (minimum) written.  I'm working right now on my research and an outline (which I was technically supposed to turn in yesterday).  We'll see how this goes.  I'm also taking the GRE in December and applying places starting soon. Unfortunately, I didn't think to sign up for the test earlier, and I'll be taking it too late for applying to one of the schools I wanted to apply to.  However, it wasn't really too high on my list, so I'm not too broken up.  Top three: Notre Dame, Catholic U, and maybe Providence or St. Louis? Ave Maria and staying here as back up options probably.  We'll see.   

And wow! that's great news.  I had no idea they were dating.  Awesome! 

I saw the post about the bans.  I suppose I'll be wondering who got banned, because it seems like everyone's still here.  Which I guess, means that I shouldn't worry.  

How are you doing? 

Saint Louis University is pretty awesome, I spent a year and a half of my undergrad there. The campus ministry is VERY active so there is lots to get involved with.

Erm, might be time to write on it!  Just sent out 103 pages of dissertation proposal last night, so I feel your pain.  Have you studied for the GRE at all?    And good luck with the applications. :)  You'll do good on them, I bet.  And yep, it was a pretty quick thing, the two of them!

Doing mostly okay.  Working 6 days a week on class stuff and dissertation. x.x

Saint Louis University is pretty amesome, I spent a year and a half of my undergrad there. The campus ministry is VERY active so there is lots to get involved with.

Cool! I've heard that from some high school friends that went there.  I've also heard St. Louis as a city is a lot like Cincinnati (my hometown), which in some ways would be nice.  

Erm, might be time to write on it!  Just sent out 103 pages of dissertation proposal last night, so I feel your pain.  Have you studied for the GRE at all?    And good luck with the applications. :)  You'll do good on them, I bet.  And yep, it was a pretty quick thing, the two of them!

Doing mostly okay.  Working 6 days a week on class stuff and dissertation. x.x

Yep! I'm still on my outline :/ I'm really, really, behind on this.  But it's going really well.  I may actually get the rough draft done in time.  Haha.  I took a practice test, but besides that, studying will start probably over Thanksgiving, or the week before.  

I can't even imagine at this point writing 100 pages.  Something to look forward to, I suppose. 

Hope things slow down for you soon! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Now that I'm back full time, it's time to resurrect this. An update, if you will, on what's going on with me. 

I've have begun full time work on my masters. I graduated this spring, and decided to stay here at Franciscan. I've had a rough school year, and thus didn't really get many applications out, and the ones that I did definitely weren't my best work. However, it was for the best, because I couldn't imagine being in a better situation than I am now. God's funny that way. Although I never thought I'd stay here for my masters, it is really shaping up to be a wonderful opportunity. I'm part of a new program that we are starting, a research intensive theology masters, and it's really looking like it's going to be a lot of fun. The other students are really great, both academically and personally, and the professors are all highly invested in the program. In fact, I was able to get a job as a research assistant for one of our most well known theology professors! I immediately jumped into a full load of summer classes, 4 in 12 weeks. But, as of now, I'm set to graduate with my masters next May, so hopefully it pans out. 

I FOUND A SPIRITUAL DIRECTOR! I'm pretty sure I've posted about this before, but if not, WOOT! It's a young priest at a local parish, and he's really awesome. Please pray that our relationship is spiritually fruitful, and pray for him and his ministry! His parish is a really great place, and a lot of amazing things are happening there. 

My girlfriend was accepted into a program at Notre Dame called ECHO, which is similar to their more famous ACE program. It is a Catechetical formation program, where they take summer classes towards an M.A. in Theology and work during the rest of the year in a parish. She will be working and living in Houston, TX this upcoming year. It's a really exciting opportunity, and though I'm sad that we'll be separated, I think this will be a time of great growth for both of us. Please keep her in your prayers as she begins her work as a catechist, and pray for our relationship. Thanks y'all. 

Well, that's just about everything. Sorry for the long rambling post y'all, I had a double shot of espresso with lunch, and am pretty wired. That stuff is magical. 

Exegesis actually becomes fun when you know what you're doing. Then again, I don't know Hebrew, so that's a problem. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, another school year about to start. It's really strange heading up to campus, and realizing I don't live up there anymore. Still waiting to move into my new house, can't move in until Sunday, so I'm technically homeless I suppose. Oh well. 

TheresaThoma

Oooo now you are one of the big bad masters students....

(Its really really weird hearing about people going back to school and I'm not for the first time in my life)

Oooo now you are one of the big bad masters students....

(Its really really weird hearing about people going back to school and I'm not for the first time in my life)

You're all done with school? What are you up to now? 

• 1 month later...

Bumpity bump. 

My girlfriend will be here in Steubenville tomorrow. Am I excited? Yeah, you could say that. Or you could say that I'm beyond excited. This will be the first time I've seen her since the 1st week of August, and she's now living in Houston. 11 pm tomorrow can't come soon enough.