An Old School Catholic Message Board

Amppax's Musings And Ruminations

Amppax

As the all-nighter wraps up, I can say with confidence that the paper is/will be done, and done pretty well. I'm exhausted, but I feel pretty accomplished right now.

Crazy to think this first year is almost over.

I have to work 30 hours during finals week! YAY!

Formal tonight. Where am I, on RA duty. Starting to think that this job was a bad idea.

I could use some prayers pham, I'm struggling with some things right now.

Oh, and I'm praying for all of you, hope you have great summers!

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1335628442' post='2424370']
You got the prayers :)
[/quote]

Thanks I'm actually doing a ton better. Had a really nice talk with my girlfriend last night, which was very needed. Feeling great today.

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1335730012' post='2424865']
Great to hear! :) And you're almost done with the semester, so hopefully that's good too!
[/quote]

It is, although I'll miss all my friends here a ton. The closest one of my good friends lives is about 4 hours... and that's because they live here in Steubenville. My girlfriend lives in Florida (1000 miles away) my best friend is in Texas (and to top it off he's going to be a camp counselor all summer) and everyone else is pretty much spread the same way.

I'm definitely going to have to take some time to do some thinking about this year, its been an incredible year.

[quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1335374752' post='2423240']
[s]Papers[/s] Procrastination is the bane of my existence.
[/quote]

This is my life motto. I'm going to get it tattooed on my arm. In Latin.

Glad Freshman year has been so memorable, and that does stink about everyone being so far away, I definitely know the feeling. Other than two people, no one will be closer than an hour to me this summer. I think as you look back at the year though, you'll be pleasantly surprised to find even more blessings during the course of it than the many you already expected!

On the long distance relationship front, may I give some unsolicited advice? Skype. Praying Rosaries, reading Sacred Scripture, just talking. It doesn't take away all the pain of being separated, but it's better than nothing.

Some more thoughts on the long-distance thing.... and mine is TRULY unsoclicited!

Figure out what you can do together... and what you can do 'together' from a distance. Maximize the time together, yes, but get creative about doing things 'together from a distance' What do I mean? Things like going to adoration together, at the same time... but in different cities. Share YouTube videos.... create & share private jokes... Spend a few minute each day finding things to share with the other one so you will have some shared memories... these are things you can start to do even now.

Relive those good memories... and plan and plot more of them. Work on how to get in actual 'face' time -- even if there arent many of them, some actual day and overnight trips -- they don't have to cost much... but you will have them to re-live.... If you are in a touristy spot, see if you can get some freebee tourist things together when you are together... then you can find related stuff to share on-line and 'continue the trip' after you return.

I know you want to be close physically (for many reasons!) but for lots of us, even being married will mean a lot of separation My my husband works 16-18 hour days 5-6 days a week on a good day. We don't get a lot of together time... but we have worked out strategies to be together. We work hard to get to Sunday Mass together -- and have a meal on Sunday, too. Not always easy, but we make it happen for the most part.

The skills you are developing now will give you tools to keep each other connected even after you are married... 'cause you never know what life will throw at you....

[quote name='BigJon16' timestamp='1335737724' post='2424942']
This is my life motto. I'm going to get it tattooed on my arm. In Latin.
[/quote]

The idea that it wasn't procrastinating if I planned to do it the night before (and had the stuff ready to do it!) got me through about 1/2 of my graduate papers.... and sometimes two or 3 in one night. You just have to have the stuff ready to go when your 'planned' all-night flight is ready to take off!

Really been testing that whole "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" piece recently. Hope this doesn't count for testing the Lord.