An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Whosoevers: Murder Your Flesh

Laudate_Dominum

it appeals to the emotion, to the "edgy" whatever that means. Whenever movements like this pop up, it's easy to see they have never bothered to do their homework in regards to the history of Christianity.

Edited by Selah

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1328559837' post='2382517']
The use of the words murder and kill interchangeably is a big pet peeve of mine. A few secular comedy writers that I read do that, I suppose for the added impact, but it's so, so wrong.
[/quote]
I'm not disagreeing with you really, but I've just got to say that quaint euphemisms for killing irk me far more. Also, people who insist or imply that legality defines morality. Murder and kill are interchangeable in many contexts. I would have little problem with saying that Saddam Hussein was murdered. Or that Bin Laden was murdered. I don't get my panties in a twist when someone says that abortion is murder. And yes, I know the dictionary and legal definitions of murder. If the killing is direct and intentional, regardless of legal sanction, I think there is a valid informal sense in which it is murder. If someone were using the term to sensationalize or otherwise distort what was in fact an accident, I would be perturbed. But still, what's far worse to me is when people gloss over atrocities with cute euphemisms or callous legalisms. The ease with which humans rationalize killing is disturbing to me.
ETA: Again, I don't mean this as a contradiction of your pov, just adding something new and sharing my feelings. lol

Edited by Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1328603684' post='2382928']
I'm not disagreeing with you really, but I've just got to say that quaint euphemisms for killing irk me far more. Also, people who insist or imply that legality defines morality. Murder and kill are interchangeable in many contexts. I would have little problem with saying that Saddam Hussein was murdered. Or that Bin Laden was murdered. I don't get my panties in a twist when someone says that abortion is murder. And yes, I know the dictionary and legal definitions of murder. If the killing is direct and intentional, regardless of legal sanction, I think there is a valid informal sense in which it is murder. If someone were using the term to sensationalize or otherwise distort what was in fact an accident, I would be perturbed. But still, what's far worse to me is when people gloss over atrocities with cute euphemisms or callous legalisms. The ease with which humans rationalize killing is disturbing to me.
ETA: Again, I don't mean this as a contradiction of your pov, just adding something new and sharing my feelings. lol
[/quote]

Yeah, I agree.

I agree also. The non-denominational Protestant culture today seems to be abusing all kinds of language in general. Here we see "Murder your flesh," and it's not a far cry from the "Love Jesus, hate religion" and the like. I'm not able to watch the entire video at the moment, but the phrase sounds like something that is accompanied by pride; it tells you to be a martyr but it draws too much attention to your martyrdom. It's as if you're supposed to get some kind of self-gratifying pleasure out of denying yourself. Very contradictory.

Self-denial isn't fun. If it was, everyone would be doing it. True self-denial isn't a pretty graphic for a t-shirt.

Edited by Selah

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1328639283' post='2383079']
Peta disapproves. Meat is murder. :sadder:
[/quote]

SILLEH HERETK AMINAMS WERE POOT ON TEH URFS FOUR US 2 EATZ DEM LULZ

[quote name='Selah' timestamp='1328639426' post='2383080']
SILLEH HERETK AMINAMS WERE POOT ON TEH URFS FOUR US 2 EATZ DEM LULZ
[/quote]

I think you just murdered the English language. And did you have to yell, too?

A certain hip-hop group used the words, "committing suicide to the flesh" to describe mortification. It just doesn't sound right. That said, why are we trigger happy critics that miss the good? i say God bless these people for their sincere efforts at evangelization.

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1328639058' post='2383073']
Also, murder your flesh, to me, has hints of gnosticism....
[/quote]

I see this "body/flesh bad, spirit soul good" type of thinking quite frequently among this brand of Christian. I don't think it's intentional. I think they've been grossly misinformed.

[quote name='Seven77' timestamp='1328653723' post='2383227']
A certain hip-hop group used the words, "committing suicide to the flesh" to describe mortification. It just doesn't sound right. That said, why are we trigger happy critics that miss the good? i say God bless these people for their sincere efforts at evangelization.
[/quote]

I'm a trigger happy critic because I used to be enmeshed with these sort of things, and like (I think it was BG) said that it churns out atheists who feel like they've been emotionally manipulated.

While I didn't become an atheist, I certainly felt emotionally manipulated. Thankfully I didn't get involved to the point where I became part of a church/group in the "real world," (I had SEVERE social anxiety, but it was fine because faith is personal and we have teh internets and church tv ryt?), but I still felt tricked and cheap and in addition to other things just led to a sense of existential hopelessness for a bit.

Then there were issues of feeling like my mental disorders were the result of a problem with my relationship with God. Gah, a mess. I do understand that I let my own past get in the way of being objective here, but I also have relationships with people who feel the same way about these movements. It can be very damaging OR very emotionally satisfying but devoid of anything really nutritive. That to me is a big problem.

Yus, I'm a hater

Archaeology cat

I always think of that passage where Apollos (?) was preaching about Jesus, but didn't have the full picture. Priscilla and Aquila took him aside and praised his faith, and then pointed out his errors, showing him the full truth. So yes, I commend them for their zeal and love of Jesus, while pointing out their errors in hope that they will embrace the full truth.

Ah, I'll give you that.

If they weren't so willfully ignorant about Catholics and such, I might be able to give them the benefit of the doubt (and if they stopped spamming Marcos' page with "ZOMG SONNY IS TEH ONLEH KRISTIAN MEMBER OV P.O.D. U SMOKE HOOKAH DATS LIEK MARYWANA RITE? LOL" I'd be happy too).

It's kinda like Hillsong. They are "wrong" but they aren't, as far as I have found, anti-Catholic; In fact, I've read that they give to and support Catholic charities. So there's really no reason for me to speak out against them (yet...). With Hillsong you might have more of a chance to do what the above Scripture says, but the whosos are too arrogant and prideful.