An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Whosoevers: Murder Your Flesh

Laudate_Dominum

[quote]You see it's all biblical...we go by what the bible teaches...[/quote]

So do Catholics. They just don't hold it up and claim it to be the foundation of the Christian faith, as it was never meant to be. But I digress.

Edited by Selah

[quote name='Louie' timestamp='1330041320' post='2391934']
There is no claim of it being the foundation of the Christian faith. Just an act of the Christian faith.
[/quote]

Protestants claim this all the time. You may not, but the claims exist.

An act of the Christian faith? What do you mean?

Edited by Selah

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Louie' timestamp='1329675253' post='2389402']
Therefore, brethren, we are debtors - not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh. For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. Romans 8:12-13

Put to death...is to mortify...to mortify is to murder

!
[/quote]
Murder is the deliberate taking of an innocent life. Mortification is the subjection and denial of bodily passions and appetites by abstinence or self-inflicted pain or discomfort. They are not equivalent.

[quote name='Selah' timestamp='1330041447' post='2391937']

Protestants claim this all the time. You may not, but the claims exist.

An act of the Christian faith? What do you mean?
[/quote]

Well if you meant by claims of the term "murder your flesh" which is the topic of this forum, is the foundation of our faith, my response was it is an act of our faith. Maybe we misunderstood one another. What did you mean?

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' timestamp='1330042728' post='2391948']

Murder is the deliberate taking of an innocent life. Mortification is the subjection and denial of bodily passions and appetites by abstinence or self-inflicted pain or discomfort. They are not equivalent.
[/quote]

There are many definitions of the word murder...different meanings. I do understand though how this can be taken the wrong way...but for someone who comes from a background like mine and other whosoevers...it's not taken in that manner.
Noun; 1. murder - unlawful premeditated killing of a human being by a human being
slaying, execution
2. Informal something dangerous, difficult, or unpleasant
Verb ; 1. murder - kill intentionally and with premeditation; kill - cause to die; put to death, usually intentionally or knowingly; "
2. murder - alter so as to make unrecognizable; distort, falsify, garble, warp - make false by mutilation or addition

cmotherofpirl

So what exactly is your point? Its certainly silly to say the Holy Spirit is against organized religion, where do you thing the Church came from? The Holy Spirit breathed upon them at Pentecost which is the birthday of the Church.

I did watch the entire video. It ends with an altar call. It reminds me of the tent revivals we had when I was little. But conversion of the heart is the journey of a lifetime, not saying a few words in the heat of the moment. What happens to these guys when they fall?

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' timestamp='1330048610' post='2392032']
So what exactly is your point? Its certainly silly to say the Holy Spirit is against organized religion, where do you thing the Church came from? The Holy Spirit breathed upon them at Pentecost which is the birthday of the Church.

I did watch the entire video. It ends with an altar call. It reminds me of the tent revivals we had when I was little. But conversion of the heart is the journey of a lifetime, not saying a few words in the heat of the moment. What happens to these guys when they fall?
[/quote]

You ask what's my point...I was only showing you the misunderstanding of the meaning of the phrase murder your flesh...if you want to talk on a totally different subject that's fine but let's not make it seem as if my point was off subject.

I don't understand your point here for bringing up alter calls and what happens when people fall within the context of this conversation. Is there something that concerns you about those who walk up and give their life to Christ in the heat of the moment...is this something you want to know about...because there is more to it than that...there is a follow up ministry...they are prayed for and counseled to an extent...but the responsibility also falls into the hands of the body...we are to care for eachother as the body...1 Corinthians 12...Galatians 6
Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness, considering yourself lest you also be tempted. Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. For if anyone thinks himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceives himself. But let each one examine his own work, and then he will have rejoicing in himself alone, and not in another. For each one shall bear his own load. 
    Let him who is taught the word share in all good things with him who teaches. 
    Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life. And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith. Galatians 6

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Louie' timestamp='1330054849' post='2392074']
You ask what's my point...I was only showing you the misunderstanding of the meaning of the phrase murder your flesh...if you want to talk on a totally different subject that's fine but let's not make it seem as if my point was off subject.

I don't understand your point here for bringing up alter calls and what happens when people fall within the context of this conversation. Is there something that concerns you about those who walk up and give their life to Christ in the heat of the moment...is this something you want to know about...because there is more to it than that...there is a follow up ministry...they are prayed for and counseled to an extent...but the responsibility also falls into the hands of the body...we are to care for eachother as the body...1 Corinthians 12...Galatians 6
Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness, considering yourself lest you also be tempted. Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. For if anyone thinks himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceives himself. But let each one examine his own work, and then he will have rejoicing in himself alone, and not in another. For each one shall bear his own load.
Let him who is taught the word share in all good things with him who teaches.
Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life. And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith. Galatians 6
[/quote]
Sorry I should have separated out my comment to you from the comment on the video in general. I have had a very busy night :)

[quote name='Louie' timestamp='1330034776' post='2391875']
Yes. Everyday I read a chapter from both the old and new testament. You've asked this before. You said the same thing...I see you like the bible. What's your point?

Do you read the bible?

By the way if you are saying in your previous that I have ignored any of your questions...which of the very many questions that I might have missed? As I stated before, your questions are not honest but are tests in which you are trying to trap me with. Why not just say what you are trying to get at rather than asking question after question...it gets old after awhile
[/quote]

If you do have Truth on your side, then you should not fear. Truth fears no question. I will go where Truth leads me. Will you? My questions are not designed to convert you, but rather to understand you and how you came to your beliefs, which would help our dialog. Because if what you say is true, then I must evaluate myself.

I am glad you read the Bible, especially the NT. I am curious to know how you feel about the NT being written by Catholics.

[quote name='Louie' timestamp='1330040331' post='2391921']
No conspiracy just the truth...what kind of question is..."do you read the new testament?"...the answer is obvious...I have answered this before...there is a reason for his question and his reason is not an honest one...one in which he seeks to know whether or not I read the new testament...I would rather have him be honest and not play the part...it takes time to answer questions that have no end.
[/quote]

It is obvious you quote the Bible, which is not synonymous with reading the Bible. Hence, my question. Many people don't read nor believe the Bible, but use it to attempt to catch Christians in hypocrisy. .

[quote name='Louie' timestamp='1330041320' post='2391934']
There is no claim of it being the foundation of the Christian faith. [b]Just an act of the Christian faith.[/b]
[/quote]

What does that mean?

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1330092078' post='2392187']

If you do have Truth on your side, then you should not fear. Truth fears no question. I will go where Truth leads me. Will you? My questions are not designed to convert you, but rather to understand you and how you came to your beliefs, which would help our dialog. Because if what you say is true, then I must evaluate myself.

I am glad you read the Bible, especially the NT. I am curious to know how you feel about the NT being written by Catholics.
[/quote]

You speak of truth then falsely claim the NT as being written by Catholics...which one of the authors were catholic and what proof do you have to back up that claim?