An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Whosoevers: Murder Your Flesh

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Hubertus' timestamp='1330128945' post='2392593']
You might want to try talking with people on their terms instead of drowning them with text that they don't have the time to read or respond to. It's supposed to be a discussion, not a monologue!
[/quote]

It's for your own good to read these texts...if you ignore them then you are unwilling to learn anything outside of your own box...and with that you are robbing yourself

Edited by Louie

[quote]He left us the Holy Spirit to lead us...you all get upset cause I called the spirit it yet you don't give the Holy Spirit it's due respect concerning "His" power and work.[/quote]

Yet if I put 10 Protestants in a room with one Bible, all ten would come out with different interpretations. Either the Holy Spirit is doin' it wrong, or someone does not have authority to interpret Sacred Scripture alone and privately. Private interpretation is dangerous; I think Fred Phelps makes that very clear.

[quote]John 6:63 reads...It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life. [/quote]

What does this prove? I am a woman, yet you could say, "It is Selah who helps the customers pick out an outfit for their wedding". "It is Selah who trolls in the Lame Board" Am I an it, now, because I used the word it? Do you want to play a semantics game? Nevertheless, the Holy Spirit is not "it." He is referred to as "He".

Edited by Selah

Has anyone noticed that in the book of Acts that Peter was not the leader of the church? James the Lords brother was! How do you explain this in your beliefs of Peter being the first pope? How is it that he was reporting to the leaders in Jerusalem if he was supposed to be the leader himself? I think you need to consider this in light of your beliefs.

[quote name='Selah' timestamp='1330146151' post='2392730']
Yet if I put 10 Protestants in a room with one Bible, all ten would come out with different interpretations. Either the Holy Spirit is doin' it wrong, or someone does not have authority to interpret Sacred Scripture alone and privately. Private interpretation is dangerous; I think Fred Phelps makes that very clear.

[/quote]

Relevant Pic:
[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-wetXMUrQpQs/ToyJskSvfMI/AAAAAAAAAIY/RUf2NzIlxSU/s670/churchesthroughouthistory.jpg[/img]

What does this prove? I am a woman, yet you could say, "It is Selah who helps the customers pick out an outfit for their wedding". "It is Selah who trolls in the Lame Board" Am I an it, now, because I used the word it? Do you want to play a semantics game? Nevertheless, the Holy Spirit is not "it." He is referred to as "He".
[/quote]

20 knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation,*  21  for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God* spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit. 2 Peter 1:20

[/quote]

Let's not get off of subject once again please

[quote name='Louie' timestamp='1330147003' post='2392741']
Let's not get off of subject once again please
[/quote]

The original subject was lost 2 pages ago. I think we're a little late.

[quote]20 knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation,* 21 for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God* spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit. 2 Peter 1:20 [/quote]

Annnnnnnnnd thank you for proving my point :P

[quote name='Louie' timestamp='1330145979' post='2392728']
It's for your own good to read these texts...if you ignore them then you are unwilling to learn anything outside of your own box...and with that you are robbing yourself
[/quote] Okay. Well you have made the claim that the Bible is the only thing we are to depend on. In that case, could you read these? Don't worry, there are lots of Bible verses in em.

[url="http://www.catholic.com/tracts/scripture-and-tradition"]http://www.catholic.com/tracts/scripture-and-tradition[/url]

[url="http://www.cin.org/users/james/files/practicl.htm"]http://www.cin.org/users/james/files/practicl.htm[/url]

[url="http://www.cin.org/users/james/files/private.htm"]http://www.cin.org/users/james/files/private.htm[/url]

Edited by Hubertus

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Louie' timestamp='1330146836' post='2392738']
Has anyone noticed that in the book of Acts that Peter was not the leader of the church? James the Lords brother was! How do you explain this in your beliefs of Peter being the first pope? How is it that he was reporting to the leaders in Jerusalem if he was supposed to be the leader himself? I think you need to consider this in light of your beliefs.
[/quote]Yet it was Peter's statement about whether the Gentiles were accepted without following Jewish laws that was the final decision. St James was not head of the entire Church, but of Jerusalem, and gave instructions for his diocese.

Really, you have to do a lot of twisting with Scripture and history to claim that any other than Peter was the leader (this is not an attack on you, but a statement of fact). I once attended a service that claimed that John was the leader, and not Peter. Yet it is Peter whom Jesus renames and says He will use in that role of rock. It is Peter who is told three times to feed the sheep. And it is Peter who was seen, historically, as the first Pope and prime minister/steward of the Church (see Isaiah 22, I think, for the Davidic role of steward and how it is paralleled with Peter being given the keys).

I do not think you are intentionally twisting things, but I know Protestant groups and teachings must discredit Peter in order to show the Church wrong, and so I suspect that the Whosoevers also teach such things, though I could be wrong. Such a belief, though, does not match history or Scripture.

God bless

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Louie' timestamp='1330144807' post='2392716']
Ok don't get all bent out of shape for my referring to the Holy Spirit as it...not my intentions and anyways scripture does also refer to Him as it...

John 6:63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life.

But just as before you all scan over all that I say and find the little misunderstandings on your end to refute over...
[/quote]

No, Scripture doesn't refer to God as "it." In John 6:63 which you have quoted: Grammatically, the antecedent of the pronoun "it" is "that which gives life" not "The Spirit." If the Spirit here were "it" the word "Spirit" would be followed by "that" not "who." God is not an IT.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Louie' timestamp='1330144938' post='2392718']
They alone stand on the Rock? What are you standing on?
[/quote]
I don't have to stand on anything, I'm not in charge. :)
I am in the Body of Christ.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Louie' timestamp='1330146936' post='2392740']
20 knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation,* 21 for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God* spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit. 2 Peter 1:20
[/quote]
Yes and the next line says: (2 Peter 2: 1-3a) 1 But there were also false prophets among the people, even as there shall be among you lying teachers, who shall bring in sects of perdition, and deny the Lord who bought them: bringing upon themselves swift destruction.
2 And many shall follow their riotousnesses, through whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.
3 And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you.

So we have to beware of people outside the Church claiming to preach the Word of God.

[quote]Romanism professes to be governed in its interpretation of Scripture "according to the unanimous consent of the Fathers."[/quote]

You're batting a thousand. "Romanism"? Care to say N***** again? Because that's pretty much what that word amounts to to a Catholic, as offensive as a racial slur.

That said, the Fathers were not always unanimous. The Catholic Church follows the Sacred Tradition of the Fathers, the Ecumenical Councils, the Sacred Scriptures, and follows what has been followed since the Church was founded; the same can be said of the Orthodox Church, as both claim apostolic succession. Of course, I would argue that the Church of Rome should come back to the Orthodox Church and rejoin the Pentarchy, but that doesn't take away the fact that they still claim succession from St. Peter.

But I'm going too deep right now, I don't want to confuse you any more than you already are (yes, you are the one who is confused, not me).

Edited by Selah

[quote name='Louie' timestamp='1330144462' post='2392715']
I gave you one...you as you have before ignored my response...which I backed up biblically...I refuse to repeat myself when I have already explained all these many different subjects to you all
[/quote]

You have not. I went through the whole other thread and there are several of my questions that went unanswered. You most popular reply is to simply quote scripture with comments that don't address my question, and we have not established how we know scripture is the inspired word of God, and why we should believe that the bible is the inspired word of God. You also said more than once that the Holy Spirit guides you, even when talking to a non-believer. You have not answered what happens when two people, whom the Holy Spirit is guiding, come up with interpretations that contradict each other. My below post, from the other thread, went unanswered,

[quote]You can't use the Bible as proof the Bible is the inspired word of God. If you and I both believe and live by the Holy Spirit is our guide to our understanding of the Bible, then explain if we have different understandings of the same passages? This happens all the time. There are bible only churches that believe in infant baptism and bible only churches that don't believe in infant baptism. So which one is the Holy Spirit giving them a bum steer? And where do they go to resolve this?[/quote]

And you answered this post,

[quote]But I asked the Holy Spirit to guide me. Why is the Holy Spirit guiding you right and not me? What gives? [/quote]

With this,

[quote]
If the Holy Spirit told you that you can beat your wife through the scripture you read...then that spirit is not the Holy Spirit I can assure you of that...I don't believe Christ would beat up His church so why would you beat your wife? You are not being honest with me or yourself
[/quote]
What authority do you have to judge the spirit guiding me is not the Holy Spirit? And that the spirit guiding you is the Holy Spirit? I asked this before, which I have not received an answer.