An Old School Catholic Message Board

What The Hell Is The Matter With The U.s.c.c.b. ?

Ed Normile

Laudate_Dominum

As the great Chris Crocker once said, "What do you expect? I'm no Betty Crocker."

Edited by Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1328652509' post='2383217']
Fixed it.
So you're saying that the discordance since 1 AD is all about lack of prayer?
[/quote]
Oops, thanks for the fix.

No, I'm saying the complete disintegration of Catholic identity and near disappearance of orthodoxy in the public square is due, at least in part, to the attacks against the Roman development of Catholic worship.

Edited by Nihil Obstat

When a Catholic does not believe the Eucharist is the the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Christ and does not believe that missing Sunday mass, intentionally, is a mortal sin, then why would he gives a rats what the USCCB say. Heck, I got family members that would not know what USCCB initials stand for.

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1328663216' post='2383304']
When a Catholic does not believe the Eucharist is the the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Christ and does not believe that missing Sunday mass, intentionally, is a mortal sin, then why would he gives a rats what the USCCB say. Heck, I got family members that would not know what USCCB initials stand for.
[/quote]

I have first degree relatives who honestly think that a parish council has more or less equal authority to a diocesan bishop in terms of what happens at the parish level.

I just read the opening post in this thread and haven't gone through all the posts. I hope someone corrected Ed in his misrepresentation of the issue and lack of historical knowledge. The issue is not about Obamnicare per se as the issue is not a part of that bill. Rather it started last summer when Obama proposed these new rules and gave the Church a chance to comment on them. Comments were taken until November. The Bishops in fact spoke out against the proposed changes then and also encouraged letter writing. The campaign was ignored and Obama approved the changes. Again this is not an issue of Obamnicare but rules separate from it. There was no vote on this by Congress. It was a proposal by the Catholic (CINO) Cathryn Sebellius and approved by Obama recently. So many people get this issue wrong.

[quote name='thessalonian' timestamp='1328725354' post='2383749']
I just read the opening post in this thread and haven't gone through all the posts. I hope someone corrected Ed in his . The issue is not about Obamnicare per se as the issue is not a part of that bill. Rather it started last summer when Obama proposed these new rules and gave the Church a chance to comment on them. Comments were taken until November. The Bishops in fact spoke out against the proposed changes then and also encouraged letter writing. The campaign was ignored and Obama approved the changes. Again this is not an issue of Obamnicare but rules separate from it. There was no vote on this by Congress. It was a proposal by the Catholic (CINO) Cathryn Sebellius and approved by Obama recently. So many people get this issue wrong.
[/quote]

Thessalonian, nobody corrected me on this, this was not new, it was copied from the Romney care, which has the same mandate that secular institutions have to provide abortifactants and prophylactics and the "morning after pill", where did you come up with this fallacy? As a matter of fact Romneys advisors helped write Obamas healthcare bill. If you are truly that ignorant of this issue to accuse me of "[b]misrepresentation of the issue and lack of historical knowledge[/b]" here is a link to an article by the liberal Washington Post laying out the facts for those too incompetent to do their homework before falsely accusing another of misrepresentation through blatant ignorance. [url="http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/post/newt-gingrich-hits-mitt-romney-on-abortion-in-south-carolina-ad/2012/01/10/gIQAL244nP_blog.html"]http://www.washingto...244nP_blog.html[/url] perhaps if you take the time to read this it will edify you, saving you further embarrassment.

ed

Edited by Ed Normile

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1328652509' post='2383217']
Fixed it.
So you're saying that the discordance since [s]1 AD [/s]AD 1 is all about lack of prayer?
[/quote]
Fixed it.

Ed with all due respect one again the ignoance is yours. You made it sound in your opening post that the Bishops just woke up. In fact they have been on top of this from last summer when Sebellius proposed these rules for immediate implementation. Your article does not show where in the bill that as already passed and been signed in to law concerning obamacare where this mandate was going to apply to Churches. Federal laws have been used to exempt Churches to date in EVERY state that has required contraception in healthcare. 27 of them and my knowledge the CC is not paying for in Mass. under Romneycare because federal law has been taken to exempt them. There was no need for a fight until now when Obama reinterpreted the law. Again this to my knowledge is not a part of the obamacare package at least in that it does not indicate that religions would not be exempted in that package to my knowledge. It has not been a problem in 27 States. Why would the Church have been concerned. But Ed you are more Catholic than the Bishops.

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1328801991' post='2384223']"So you're saying that the discordance since [s]1 AD [/s]AD 1 is all about lack of prayer?"
Fixed it.
[/quote]You might as well have gone all out and perfected it:
"So you're saying that the discordance since [s]1 AD AD 1[/s] Apple Eating Day in Eden is all about lack of prayer?"

But seriously, I was baiting to ask the question:
"Don't you think that many of the differing opinions within the Church are coming from [u]prayerful and well minded people[/u]?"

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1328808721' post='2384247']

"Don't you think that many of the differing opinions within the Church are coming from [u]prayerful and well minded people[/u]?"
[/quote]
No, I don't think so. I think that it's coming from dishonest or arrogant cafeteria Catholics, more or less the same as womenpriests.

You might as well have gone all out and perfected it:
"So you're saying that the discordance since [s]1 AD AD 1[/s] Apple Eating Day in Eden is all about lack of prayer?"
[/quote]
People were eating apples in Eden on Jesus's birthday?

You might as well have gone all out and perfected it:

[/quote]
I think good people can be mistaken in their means, even with prayer. I'm not sure if it's many, or not. I'm not prayerful until I want something, but I come up with really badass ideas. I can only assume there's a Bizarro to my Superman.

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1328548272' post='2382409']
For [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/user/909-qfnol31/"][color=#272727]qfnol31[/color][/url]'s amesome post, Bishop Brandt should be bolded also; a[b] ton of people behind me in the pews were complaining that he dare impose a letter on all diocesan Masses and how he should stay out of the bedrooms[/b]. :(
[/quote]

IMO, those that want the Church out of the bedroom better get their coffin out of the Church cemetery.

[quote name='Slappo' timestamp='1328823035' post='2384459']
IMO, those that want the Church out of the bedroom better get their coffin out of the Church cemetery.
[/quote]

LOL, that reminds me of an epic story.
I was reading a bit on the history of Catholicism in Canada, and in particular there was one bishop who was especially razzle dazzle, Bishop Ignace. I think he was bishop of Montreal. There was this politician in Quebec who dedicated his career to lessening Church influence in Quebec politics, and Ignace excommunicated him. Then when he died there was this uproar on the part of the liberals because obviously the Church refused to bury him in a consecrated plot.
So there was this big epic court case, and the Canadian Supreme Court actually ruled that it was equivalent to defamation to deny him a Catholic burial. Ridiculous, I know. So they ordered Bishop Ignace to let this politician be buried in the Church cemetery, and 'highly recommend' that he be given all the ceremonies surrounding a Catholic burial.
So, right before the burial is supposed to take place, Bishop Ignace goes down to the graveyard and deconsecrates the plot that's been prepared for this guy. :lol: I lol'd so hard.
He also gave every one of his employees in the diocese the day off so that they could come protest. The government sent out 1200 Canadian soldiers to make sure there wasn't a riot, and they encased his coffin in concrete and metal so that it wouldn't be defaced. The protestors pelted them with rocks. :D

Epic winrar for the Church.

[quote name='thessalonian' timestamp='1328807846' post='2384240']
Ed with all due respect one again the ignoance is yours. You made it sound in your opening post that the Bishops just woke up. In fact they have been on top of this from last summer when Sebellius proposed these rules for immediate implementation. Your article does not show where in the bill that as already passed and been signed in to law concerning obamacare where this mandate was going to apply to Churches. Federal laws have been used to exempt Churches to date in EVERY state that has required contraception in healthcare. 27 of them and my knowledge the CC is not paying for in Mass. under Romneycare because federal law has been taken to exempt them. There was no need for a fight until now when Obama reinterpreted the law. Again this to my knowledge is not a part of the obamacare package at least in that it does not indicate that religions would not be exempted in that package to my knowledge. It has not been a problem in 27 States. Why would the Church have been concerned.[b] But Ed you are more Catholic than the Bishops.[/b]
[/quote]

Wow, !!!, you are not only [u]rude[/u] but uniformed, the Bishops just recently addressed this to the church, as in, the faithful who embody the church, the parishioners, the people in the pews. This has been part of the healthcare bill since its inception, not just since last year. It was written into the plan at its inception, its in Romney's plan too and as I wrote Romney's advisors participated in writing Obama's plan, shewww.! This was signed into law on March 23, 2010, it came to light back in January 2011 when the newly Republican controlled House voted 245-189 to repeal, which was mostly a symbolic act as both the Senate and the office of President was Democrat controlled, that my friends is when religious orgs started to get involved. Federal law exempts Churches?, I am talking about secular institutions such as catholic hospitals and schools, and other religious institutions such as those, where did you come up with churches had to provide these services, its any institution that falls under the health care program that receives federal monies and implements healthcare.

You should not insult Bishops that way, I am a sinner not nearly a Bishop.

ed

Edited by Ed Normile