An Old School Catholic Message Board

Our Lady Of The Rock Benedictine Monastery

AccountDeleted

Oh this sounds wonderful! And the pictures are GORGEOUS. I might need to be one of those interns someday, just to luxuriate in the scenery for a while.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='bernadette d' timestamp='1328604289' post='2382929']
Wonderful to have you back! It all sounds amazing.
[/quote]

Thank you. Good to be back on phatmass.

[quote name='BarbaraTherese' timestamp='1328608957' post='2382939']
Welcome back, nunsense! :winner:
What a beautiful sharing you have given to us - a beautiful story - and written with openhearted honesty. My heart was sort of in my mouth until I read "when I go back" in your first post I think it was. I am overjoyed for you!

God bless you and your vocation. I hope you will be able to share some of your journey anyway once you actually enter and I hope the time will pass quickly for you - and thank you again for sharing a truly beautiful and very well written descriptive story of your Benedictine visit - and the pictures......you have a most courageous and Faith filled spirit in my opinion......Barb
[/quote]

Since there are only six weeks and I have much to do, I am sure the time will pass quickly. Thank you for your kind words.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1328610827' post='2382943']
Welcome back! I'm so glad you've found where you belong. It's such a wonderful feeling. I can't believe you've got your next visit arranged already, that's so great.

When I read about having to get the ferry I couldn't help but giggle that my (hopeful) future community is Benedictine and on an island too. :P
[/quote]

Thanks for the welcome back. I love the ferry but it does take a big chunk of time out of the day. Leaving the Island seems to end up at least a half day event, sometimes a full day if one is missed. But once the Spring schedule starts, there will be more scheduled ferries running. During the Winter, they are limited and far between because there aren't many tourists.

[quote name='AnneLine' timestamp='1328611682' post='2382944']
A beatiful sharing, and a beautiful discernment. Glad for you, Nunsense. Keep on listening and being.
[/quote]

Thank you.

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1328611986' post='2382945']
NUNSENSE!!!!!!!!!!! oh welcome back and my heart is soo sooo sooo overjoyed to hear you are back and to read this. I am so happy for you that I could cry.

May the Lord continue to guide you. You have been such an inspiration of trusting the Lord with your vocation. Thanks so much for sharing this part of your journey with us.

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH I am so flipping excited :woot: :w00t:
[/quote]

:) You make me smile. Thank you for your excitement! lol

[quote name='Maximilianus' timestamp='1328614123' post='2382947']
I think they give you more time so you can bond with the llamas and there is a UFO in the second pic.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v446/echo4lima/osb.png?t=1320039338[/img]

It seems like you have finally descended Monte Carmelo and are now ascending Montecassino.
[/quote]

I noticed that UFO after I had taken the pic - wonder what it was???

I think Monte Cassino is an easier climb for me :P

AccountDeleted

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1328615588' post='2382951']
Aaaaah! Wow. Nunsense I am so happy that you're back, but sooo much more happy that you had a good time and that it all seems to be working out and that you're happy (it's difficult to find original ways of saying these things but you know what I mean)! Like Barb I had my heart in my mouth until you wrote about that change of heart after the conversation with the nun, and after that it was a joy to read how much happier you became, and how you seemed to fit in.

The parts about not having a structured 'discernment process' and just working alongside the nuns, yes that sounds familiar. But also the hugely liberating realisation that they want you just as you are, and not trying to fit you into a mould - also familiar and I'm overjoyed that you've experienced this as well! It feels great doesn't it?

I had to laugh when you wrote about nobody turning up for Lauds. The same thing happened on my first morning - I was up like a shot at 5 a.m. and rushed to the chapel, only to find it dark and deserted. I went back to my cell feeling like someone had played a prank on me, fell asleep again until 7 and then went out to the kitchen where the Abbess told me they'd moved Matins to 6 a.m. during the summer so everyone could get their farm chores done before it got too hot. Hehehe

Anyway, very glad you're back, but hopefully not for too long! [/quote]

Thank you for the welcome back. And yes, the schedule change was unexpected since they have their schedule posted in the guest house! But once we knew, all was well and in fact, better because we got an extra few minutes of sleep in the morning! :)

[quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1328616445' post='2382954']
A interesting and wonderful experience it truly must have been nunsense!

Prayers for you! [/quote]

Thank you. :)

[quote name='regina_coeli' timestamp='1328618643' post='2382958']
I am so happy for you!
[/quote]

Thank you. :)

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1328623186' post='2382987']
That sounds like such a life-giving visit!

Like all the others, I was reading anxiously for you!!!

Thanks be to God! [/quote]

Thank you - it was wonderful.

[quote name='i<3LSOP' timestamp='1328624366' post='2382993']
I'm very happy for you nunsense!

Aw! I play the voilin!

She needs to improve her bowhold a bit... but other then that, she looks pretty good. [/quote]

I know nothing about violins - perhaps she is holding it the Benedictine way? :P

[quote name='FutureCarmeliteClaire' timestamp='1328627162' post='2383006']
So happy for you, Nunsense!!!!!!!!! AAAAAHHHHH!!!!!! We missed you. [/quote]

Thank you. It's good to be back. I did give the phatmass url to the Intern - maybe she will end up posting here - who knows?<br />

[quote name='krissylou' timestamp='1328629555' post='2383017']
Oh this sounds wonderful! And the pictures are GORGEOUS.

I might need to be one of those interns someday, just to luxuriate in the scenery for a while.

[/quote]

That's the beautiful thing about monastery guest houses, one is able to come and rest and be still - and just refresh the soul. Even if I weren't going back to become a postulant, I would love to go back for a visit - now that I understand about letting it all go instead of trying to control everything!! :)

[b]Six weeks will pass extremely quickly, - before you know it you will be back where you so obviously belong. You have been in my thoughts and prayers over the last couple of weeks. May God hold you in the palm of His hand.[/b]

What a beautiful experience! Thank you for writing it all out here. I am not too far from this monastery, about a 5 hour drive, and I have often thought about going there for a retreat. The West Northwest is very beautiful. God always seems to let me get to my "witts end" too before He gives everything that's needed, and yet after so much waiting I realize His timing is always perfect. At least this is what my experience has been, but I have not yet gotten there yet with my vocation. I am happy for you and hope that you look forward to your return visit with joyful anticipation. :pray:

Nice report, Nunsense.

I visited the mother abbey of this place, in Connecticuit for a few days. Ya, they are pretty cloistered, you don't see anyone much, except other guests. But I did get to have two parlours while I was there, and helped out with some food and gardening stuff.

I hope you can find what you seek there.

brandelynmarie

Deo Gratias! :nunpray: 'Nuf said. ;)

Oh & welcome back. :) Thank you ever so much for sharing your stay with us here on VS. I loooved reading it all & I probably would have been wondering the same thing at first: Is this the nun version of being left to wait 3 days at the doorstep? :hehe: I never really thought that there would be different styles of "getting to know you".

Edited by brandelynmarie

Thank you so very much for sharing your experiences. My goodness, you've done and will do a significant amount of travel! The time will pass quickly and you'll be back on the island before you know it.

Mary's Margaret

Nunsense, thank-you for sharing the full story with us. I could feel the frustration, then the relief and letting go into just being. What a lovely way to feel one's way into the experience (once one knows that's what's happening!). Their way sounds very healthy and affirming, and seems to fit you well. I continue to hold you in prayer, with joy in my heart.

MargaretTeresa

Yay! This is so exciting.

Now, in honor of the llamas:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMYN4djSq7o"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMYN4djSq7o[/url]