An Old School Catholic Message Board

Our Lady Of The Rock Benedictine Monastery

AccountDeleted

• 3 weeks later...
AccountDeleted

[quote name='AnneLine' timestamp='1329907763' post='2391041'] Blessed Lent to you, Nunsense! And to all of you! [/quote] Thank you so much! I am not on phatmass much during Lent (only from Sat night to Sun night) so I don't get to respond as much as I used to.

Things are moving quite beautifully right now. I have sold my bed sooner than expected, and am sleeping on the floor until next Friday, when my sister is driving up from Melbourne to collect me and take me back to her place. The floor isn't too bad, maybe even a little more comfortable (good carpeting) than the straw mattress we had at Kirk Edge Carmel - lol. So two rooms of the flat are basically empty now and it's actually starting to feel like I'm leaving. My washer/dryer/fridge etc are all for sale, but if they don't sell before I go, my friends, who own an appliance shop in the next town (where I lived when I was a bush hermit) are going to come collect these things and sell them on consignment for me. It's nice to have the use of them until I leave though.

The doctor wanted me to have all these tests before I leave here, just to make sure I'm as healthy as I feel, so I have been kept busy with that as well as with the typing work. I see the doc for the last time on Thursday and then I will be all set (no health problems found, praise God). I was hoping to get a teeth cleaning before I leave but I made the appointment with a dentist in another town from an online search and when I got to the town (over 70k away), it turns out they had moved to another town over a 140k away and the Internet hadn't been updated! So I decided that I'll just go to a US dentist instead. Rescheduling and driving over an hour away was just too much bother for me when the US has excellent dentists anyway and I will have to go to a new one when I get there eventually (the nuns have a regular dentist I can use).

Tomorrow is my last Mass in this little country town, and Father told me he wants to make an announcement (cringe) after Mass and then give me a blessing. I hate the attention, but he is such a kind hearted man and I know it will make him feel good, and I can always use a blessing! He has been so good to me too - in the last town he gave me the key to the church so I could go anytime and pray before the Blessed Sacrament (since we only had Mass there twice a month there, but in this town the church is open every day and we have Mass every week), and he helped me deal with a lot of issues I had from all my bad experiences in convents over the years. He never let me give up hope and he supported me in my change from Carmelite to Benedictine as well.

At Our Lady of the Rock, one of their very elderly sisters died last week, but then a baby lamb was born - the first of the season - and they named him Joseph. I made a mistake though because I thought the baby ram was named after St Joseph but it turns out he was named after Joseph from the Old Testament because there was a reading about him this past week. So much happening while I'm not there! They have also had a visit from their Archbishop this past week, so they have been kept very busy.

In other news, I heard that they have a new Intern coming in May and she is also a discerning a vocation with them, so that is very good news indeed. I am very blessed that between the nuns and the Intern who is there, I am kept up to date on everything that has been happening. I do hope there are some lambs left to be born when I get there, but I have a feeling that now they have started, all of the sheep will be having their babies soon. Oh well, it will be cute to see all the little babies running around anyway. Maybe the cow will wait to have her baby til I get there! :)

Here is a photo sent to me of the new baby 'Joey'. There were more but it seems I have used my upload quota for thumbnails and will have to upload these to photobucket before being able to post them here.

Edited by nunsense

AccountDeleted

Here are the other two of Joey that I was sent. They were larger but I shrunk them because the thumbnails only allowed small photos, and then I didn't have enough quote to upload them all anyway - lol!

[img]http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab166/nunsense/lamb2.jpg[/img] [img]http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab166/nunsense/lamb3.jpg[/img]

HopefulBride

Thanks for the update Nunsense! wow, I can't believe that you are entering in less than three weeks!

Prayers for you and thanks for keeping us in the loop. Hope you're having a blessed Lent.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1331382528' post='2398592']
Thanks for the update Nunsense! wow, I can't believe that you are entering in less than three weeks!

Prayers for you and thanks for keeping us in the loop. Hope you're having a blessed Lent.
[/quote]

Thank you HB! Yes, it is actually 15 days now. It is nearly the 11th here and I enter on the 26th. I'm in sort of countdown mode because on the 16th (this coming Friday) my sister is driving here to collect me and we are spending 3 days together, staying at a motel in one of the regional centres here, going to the art gallery, just having some 'sister time' and then we go back to her place in Melbourne for the last three days before I fly out on the 22nd to the US where I am spending a long weekend with my brother and his wife in San Jose. Then on Monday the 26th I fly to Seattle and then take the bus and ferry to Shaw Island. I am due to arrive there around 4.30pm, in time for Vespers.

The tough part is fitting in the typing work with everything else. I told my boss not to send me any work this weekend, but she did anyway, so I told her I couldn't get to it until Monday (packing and cleaning). Good thing Monday is a public holiday here so she won't be in her office, and I will have time to type the file and send it to her before she gets back on Tuesday. We have had a lot of floods in Australia recently so there is going to be so much work for me (lots of insurance claims which means lots of interviews with clients to be transcribed), which is great, except for the fact that I have to manage to fit in the flight from Oz to the US, time with family and then the flight and travel to Shaw from California. My boss is good about trying to fit in with my schedule but she also has to keep her clients happy (the insurance companies) who have to keep their clients happy (the people who make insurance claims) so I do have to stay up to date with the work as it comes in. Once I'm in the convent though, I will be cutting back my work because monastery work times are from 10-12 and 2.30-4.30 and I will still have to fit in singing and latin classes, and other chores as well. But I feel very grateful that I actually have work that I can do from there and that will fit in with life in the monastery and pay for my health insurance for awhile. It will be a new experience for me to enter a convent and to still have an income!! Radical concept.

HopefulBride

That's wonderful that you will be able to do it for a little while and handle your health insurance costs.

I started shopping for my trousseau list yesterday and though I couldn't find a coat, I managed to get tights (cuddle duds - they were on sale for 2 dollars - originally 30!!!) I got some shoes for my sis for her birthday (80 dollars down to 5!!!!!!!!!!!) and I got some nun flats. I am veeeery excited about the nun flats. I thought about you as I was shopping yesterday because I realized you were leaving soon.

Oh and it just dawned on me that you are entering on the Feast of the Annunciation. What a beautiful day to enter :)

AccountDeleted

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1331385053' post='2398598']
That's wonderful that you will be able to do it for a little while and handle your health insurance costs.

I started shopping for my trousseau list yesterday and though I couldn't find a coat, I managed to get tights (cuddle duds - they were on sale for 2 dollars - originally 30!!!) I got some shoes for my sis for her birthday (80 dollars down to 5!!!!!!!!!!!) and I got some nun flats. I am veeeery excited about the nun flats. I thought about you as I was shopping yesterday because I realized you were leaving soon.

Oh and it just dawned on me that you are entering on the Feast of the Annunciation. What a beautiful day to enter :)
[/quote]

Yeah, pretty special day, isn't it! I already have 'nun flats' but this time I have to take my fleece lined wellies (gumboots) for the farm. I don't have to worry much about clothes since I will be making my habit to wear as a postulant (we wear the same habit as the nuns but without the scapular, wimple or full veil. We just wear the dress part of the habit and a shorter modified black veil.

I wouldn't mind getting some warmer underclothes, but it will be starting to get warmer as I get there, and I think I have enough to last me for now. I might do a little shopping when I hit the States since clothes are cheaper over there and I will be in San Jose for four days.

When's your entrance again HB?

HopefulBride

My entrance is August 22 (God Willing) I didn't realize that the postulant's habit was the tunic. That is so razzle dazzle! I think the RSMs do something similar. Man, finding snow boots have been hard. I think I found some that were on sale for like 10 dollars but I want to do some more research on them as far as water resistance and durability. I am praying they are still at the store this afternoon when I go back.

As far as the coat, I think I'll just keep looking. Sister said that I can use my long grey coat for a while (I really wish I could keep it or dye it...)

AccountDeleted

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1331386157' post='2398606']
My entrance is August 22 (God Willing) I didn't realize that the postulant's habit was the tunic. That is so razzle dazzle! I think the RSMs do something similar. Man, finding snow boots have been hard. I think I found some that were on sale for like 10 dollars but I want to do some more research on them as far as water resistance and durability. I am praying they are still at the store this afternoon when I go back.

As far as the coat, I think I'll just keep looking. Sister said that I can use my long grey coat for a while (I really wish I could keep it or dye it...)
[/quote]

That's wonderful that you have a date! August 22 is Our Lady, Mother and Queen! so we both have Mary days to enter.

I wore my boots in the snow and they were great - they are fleece lined wellingtons, so they are waterproof and warm. I got them in New York I think but they are many years old so I can't really remember quite where. I hope you find some.

HopefulBride

I saw some fleece-lined wellies yesterday but they weren't water-proof. Or at least they didn't seem to be. They were five dollars too!! I didn't want to purchase them if they weren't what I needed. I might go back today and try again.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1331386868' post='2398609']
I saw some fleece-lined wellies yesterday but they weren't water-proof. Or at least they didn't seem to be. They were five dollars too!! I didn't want to purchase them if they weren't what I needed. I might go back today and try again.
[/quote]

If they're rubber, they should be waterproof, but do they lace up too? Mine do which means I can make the top tighter so snow doesn't get inside them. I once had a pair that laced up even over the top of the boot - these don't do that, but they do lace up almost to the top. I don't think I paid more than $15-20 for mine.

HopefulBride

They are lace-up but they are not rubber. They looked like they were some kind of clothey type thing....

AccountDeleted

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1331388184' post='2398614']
They are lace-up but they are not rubber. They looked like they were some kind of clothey type thing....
[/quote]

Oh - well that doesn't sound good. Snow is very wet - shoes need to be waterproof. Mine are rubber. See if you can find some fleece lined gum boots. They are great. I wore mine in Canada in really deep snow and they kept my feet warm and dry.

Nunsense I am very happy for you. It sounds like everything is coming together nicely. Please pray for me when you enter, and I will for you! :)