An Old School Catholic Message Board

Our Lady Of The Rock Benedictine Monastery

AccountDeleted

Nunsense ,Thank you so much for the updates and adorable lamb pics :photo: Yes, the time is arriving quickly and my heart and prayers go with you. I will remember you in my prayers on the feast of the Annuciation this year. Many of us here are making our consecration to Mary on this day as well. When you are settled at OLoR, would it be possible to send you snail mail?

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Divine Mercy 9999' timestamp='1331402902' post='2398709']
Nunsunse -so glad for you!!!! I'll keep you in my prayers
:nun3: :nun2: :nun2:
[/quote]

Thank you so much DM.

I just got back from my last Mass here in this town. Father made an announcement at the end of Mass about it in a sweetly humorous way and then gave me a blessing. I couldn't even do a proper Thanksgiving afterwards because so many people kept coming up to congratulate me, and I knew they wanted to share my good news with me. It is wonderful to see how many people are supportive of religious life. The last two Mercy sisters we have in our town came up as well, and one of them had fallen yesterday and broken her arm, so it was in plaster and a sling. Please remember Sr Angela in your prayers. She and her sister (biological as well as in religion) Sr Ursula, have been in religious life for about 40+ years each. When they both pass, there will be no more religious in this town - that is sad. Their congregation is still going fairly strong, but they are only in the regional centres and cities now, not in the country areas because their numbers have decreased over time. I can't help but think that if they went back to wearing some kind of a habit, that more young women might be attracted to them. They have always done wonderful work in health care in Australia and around the world but their presence as religious women has been lost since they stopped wearing their habits. I don't want to start a whole debate about this because I love these sisters and know that they are very special, with or without the habit, but I do think that people miss the 'presence' or 'witness' of religious in habit.

Anyway, it was a lovely Mass and Father asked me to write to him and let him know how things are going, and Sr Ursula told me if I don't like it, I should come back here, but then she laughed and said she hopes I never want to come back, and that they will both be praying for me. Goodbyes are always a little sad but also sweet. Less than a week now before I leave this town, time seems to be flying past. Next weekend, when I am back online again, I will be in Melbourne and only days away from my flight to the US!

Thank you everyone for your prayers and good wishes.

Edited by nunsense

Totally Franciscan

Nunsense, would that be San Jose, California where your brother lives? If so, that was my former hometown. I live one hour north of that in Walnut Creek. Small world isn't it! Wishing you great blessings in your new life. I will continue to pray for you. God bless!

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Totally Franciscan' timestamp='1331423727' post='2398832']
Nunsense, would that be San Jose, California where your brother lives? If so, that was my former hometown. I live one hour north of that in Walnut Creek. Small world isn't it! Wishing you great blessings in your new life. I will continue to pray for you. God bless!
[/quote]

Yeah, it is. I'm flying into San Francisco and my sister-in-law is picking me up and taking me to San Jose, and then I am flying out of San Jose to Seattle a few days later.

I used to drive through Walnut Creek a lot because I lived in Oakley (out Antioch way) and then later, I lived in Lodi. I know all that area very well! I also used to live in Mountain View and Milpitas and work in San Jose (at Cisco Systems). I love all that area, and other parts of Northern California as well (I lived as far north as Redding). I grew up in Southern California but find Northern California much more beautiful.

I only spent 3 weeks in Washington state (where the convent is) but I loved the evergreens so much. Even in the snow, there were all these pine and spruce and cedar trees making everything look beautiful. Australia has lovely gum trees, but we don't have those beautiful evergreens. I'm glad to be gonig back to the States, and to such a beautiful place. And getting to visiting family in Northern CA again is such a treat. I haven't seen them since I left for Kirk Edge Carmel in 2009!

There is another phatmasser who lives in the SF area too. It is a very popular place! lol :)

I forgot to thank you for your prayers and good wishes! :)

Edited by nunsense

TheresaThoma

Nunsense many many prayers for you! I'm so excited for you. The lamb pictures are so cute thanks for sharing. I hope you have a wonderful time with your family. Such a blessing before you enter!

AccountDeleted

[quote name='TheresaThoma' timestamp='1331438482' post='2398961']
Nunsense many many prayers for you! I'm so excited for you. The lamb pictures are so cute thanks for sharing. I hope you have a wonderful time with your family. Such a blessing before you enter!
[/quote]

Thank you so much. I am actually starting to feel a sweet anticipation of everything to come, while still being so content with where I am right now. God is good.

Totally Franciscan

Nunsense, isn't life interesting? We must have run into each other at some point without knowing it! I used to live in Sunnyvale right on the edge of Mountain View. I know Cisco Systems. Then I lived right behind Santana Row very close to the Winchester Mystery House in San Jose. Here I am envying you for living in Australia and you are looking forward to being back in the states and the beauty of Northern California. Too bad you will have such a short time at your brother's. It would have been wonderful to get together, but you need every moment to be with family, especially since you have not seen them in such a long time. Have a great time in San Jose as you anticipate your entrance into the Benedictine life of Our Lady of the Rock! Blessings!

Edited by Totally Franciscan

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Totally Franciscan' timestamp='1331446464' post='2399012']
Nunsense, isn't life interesting? We must have run into each other at some point without knowing it! I used to live in Sunnyvale right on the edge of Mountain View. I know Cisco Systems. Then I lived right behind Santana Row very close to the Winchester Mystery House in San Jose. Here I am envying you for living in Australia and you are looking forward to being back in the states and the beauty of Northern California. Too bad you will have such a short time at your brother's. It would have been wonderful to get together, but you need every moment to be with family, especially since you have not seen them in such a long time. Have a great time in San Jose as you anticipate your entrance into the Benedictine life of Our Lady of the Rock! Blessings!
[/quote]

Yeah, I know Sunnyvale well. I do love Australia too, but I was born and raised in the US and Australia is more like my adopted country. I have probably lived more years here but I have always felt more like an American, especially since I have an 'accent' to them and have never been able to sound like an Aussie and fit in. My daughter, who was born and raised in Australia somehow managed to adapt her accent when we went to live in the States, but I think that was because they teased her at school, and she wanted to change her accent! Now it's hard to tell where she comes from!

Thanks for understanding about my wanting to be with family. It will be good to see them again after so long. It is only for a few days but that's enough to catch up and hang out before I head off to OLR. I'm very blessed.

AccountDeleted

Well, today is my last Sunday in Australia and it was Laetare Sunday as well. My sister and I went to Mass at OurLady of Victories Basilica and not only is the church itself absolutely gorgeous, but the Mass was so beautiful as well. They had a cantor, a fantastic old pipe organ, a choir in the loft, a priest who sang much of the liturgy and a reader who read everything so well and clearly.

My sister has been with me to a few Masses, including a Midnight Christmas Latin Mass with lots of incense and vestments and all manner of 'bells and smell's, and yet she said she enjoyed this one most of all the ones she has attended. It was just so well done liturgically and the homily was excellent too. She calls herself a heathen but she does enjoy going to a well done Mass and I'm so glad that my last one here with her was so nice.

Friday she came to pick me up and we had decided to stop in the town of Bendigo (a regional centre - a city, but a rural city). We stayed at a motel Friday night and on Saturday we decided to go to an exhibition at the Art Gallery called Faith in Fashion, and it was so nice... this one man had collected all these priestly vestments from around Australia, Anglican, Catholic and one Trinitarian. There were two made by natives of Papua New Guinea for their Bishop (made from tree bark and sea shells) and others that were brocade and gold threads, or silver buckles... all very fascinating. There were even two there made for Anglican female 'priests'. The curator was so lovely and helpful and he had paid for the display of this collection himself, found the vestments and borrowed them from their owners, and even produced pamphlets and publicity himself. I love the exhibition and him! When he found out I am going to be a nun, he said he had wanted to do a 'Brides of Christ' exhibition at the same time as the Art Gallery was doing a White Wedding Dress exhibition but he didn't have enough time to get it all together. I told him he still has to do it - all the old religious habits from the nuns of Australia in a collection! Wouldn't that be lovely?

Man who put on the exhibition.
[img]http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab166/nunsense/DRFP.jpg[/img]

Some of the vestments.
[img]http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab166/nunsense/DRFK.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab166/nunsense/DRFL.jpg[/img]
Then we drove back home to Melbourne and today we went off to Mass. This has been such a beautiful time with my sister, and it is bittersweet to be leaving her but she is so supportive of me and says that she thinks this time is different, especially from the last time when I went off to Carmel in Perth.

Speaking of Perth, I also found a really sweet card waiting for me at my sister's house, from the Prioress of my last Carmel in Perth, and she was wishing me all the best. It was very personal and so heart-warming all the things she said. I feel very blessed to have lived with her as a sister before she became Prioress this year.

I have a little more typing work to do for my boss before I head off on my flight to the US on Thursday, but apart from that, just some clothes washing and repacking to do (still need to get rid of even more things - where did I get so much stuff?).

I will be back in the States next Sunday and posting from my brother's house, and then I head off to OLR on the Monday, 26th - the Annunciation. I think somewhere else I posted the 27th for returning there, but it will be the 26th March.

I might do a few more posts on phatmass before today ends, but just wanted to get this update done before I sign off again for another week.

Affection and appreciation to all here on phatmass. Prayers for all you discerners too.

BarbTherese

Thank you very much for posting, nunsense - and again conversationally descriptive. And indeed, an exhibition of traditional religious habits would be wonderful. I have long thought we should have one in The Church for Australia and permanently........a sort of wax works would be amesome - especially since Mary MacKillop is our first saint and foundress of the St Joseph Sisters here - and so instrumental in bringing education to poor children especially, amongst other social works of importance. The religious and their traditional habit are so much a part of our Australian history.
I have been praying for you daily, keeping an eye on this thread, and will continue to do so. I have the 26th and the Feast of The Annunciation marked especially on my calendar as your date of entrance to OLR. I am so hoping that all will go well for you after a long and windy journey that has asked so much of you and yet, indeed, brought so many spiritual blessings and much growth. I hope very much OLR will be IT!!! And that we will be able to follow you through to your Final Profession. God bless and God speed - and Lord, please be good and kind to nunsense! (I knowYou always are, but sometimes the packaging of Your Goodness and Kindness is strange, strange! to mortals such as I)

I am happy too that you have heard so personally from a previous Sister and now Prioress of your last Carmel in Perth, Australia - and that it has been a very warm and therefore I am sure encouraging communication. I hope that "sweet anticipation" will burst forth in great Joy on the 26th and that His Peace and Joy be with you always in OLR and Our Lady's mantle continually resting over you.

God bless - Barb

AccountDeleted

[quote name='BarbaraTherese' timestamp='1332047053' post='2402882']
Thank you very much for posting, nunsense - and again conversationally descriptive. And indeed, an exhibition of traditional religious habits would be wonderful. I have long thought we should have one in The Church for Australia and permanently........a sort of wax works would be amesome - especially since Mary MacKillop is our first saint and foundress of the St Joseph Sisters here - and so instrumental in bringing education to poor children especially, amongst other social works of importance. The religious and their traditional habit are so much a part of our Australian history.
I have been praying for you daily, keeping an eye on this thread, and will continue to do so. I have the 26th and the Feast of The Annunciation marked especially on my calendar as your date of entrance to OLR. I am so hoping that all will go well for you after a long and windy journey that has asked so much of you and yet, indeed, brought so many spiritual blessings and much growth. I hope very much OLR will be IT!!! And that we will be able to follow you through to your Final Profession. God bless and God speed - and Lord, please be good and kind to nunsense! (I knowYou always are, but sometimes the packaging of Your Goodness and Kindness is strange, strange! to mortals such as I)

I am happy too that you have heard so personally from a previous Sister and now Prioress of your last Carmel in Perth, Australia - and that it has been a very warm and therefore I am sure encouraging communication. I hope that "sweet anticipation" will burst forth in great Joy on the 26th and that His Peace and Joy be with you always in OLR and Our Lady's mantle continually resting over you.

God bless - Barb
[/quote]

Thanks for your kind wishes Barb. I have been writing to this Carmel since I left, both the old Prioress and the new one and some of the sisters. I even sent them my Carmelite 3-volume Divine Office because I won't need it anymore. I also used to send them murder mystery novels because the old Prioress loved reading them! :) And I sent an icon of St Teresa of Avila because she gave me a large print of Hook's Head Jesus when I was leaving, and it is my favorite pic. I will stay in touch with them because I do love them a lot.

But I am so happy to be going to OLR that I can't explain it. My sister told me that when I was trying to decide to go back to Carmel, I made pro and con lists, and she asked me if I had done that this time and I had to say no, I hadn't even thought about it, and then when I did think about it, I couldn't think of a single con! lol :)

Two more lambs were born there and the nun who emails me said they are looking forward to my arrival. I knew that I really wanted to go when I had to decide whether to take a day or two at a motel in Seattle before I headed on from the airport because it is a 3 hour bus ride and a 1 hour ferry ride after the flight from San Jose to Seattle, but I just knew that I didn't want to spend any more time away from them than I had to, so I am pressing on! To make all the connections, I have to get a 6.30am flight out of San Jose! :)

BarbTherese

All sounds good (if totally tiring to me!) - trust that all will go smoothly and as planned! That the 26th March will dawn with a heart overflowing with happiness and joy, gratitude and thanksgiving!

Mary's Margaret

Nunsense, what a blessed time you are having now on your way to Our Lady of the Rock. I love the way you are gently attentive to everything that is happening along the way. I think sometimes we falsely feed our excitement to keep it at a high level when, if we could be simply and gently attentive, we would see the depth of each experience - which also allows us to place our foot more firmly in the next step. (Hope that makes sense)

I thank you for sharing your journey with us. You are an encouragement to persist and to stay true to our call, even if it comes outside the "normal" timeframe. I pray continual blessing on you as you settle into you new home and Life. May each day's joys and challenges bring you ever more deeply into the very heart of Christ. You are in my prayers.