An Old School Catholic Message Board

Waiting For A Carthusian Reply Or "disciplinum In Patientia"

seraphic000

[i]+[/i]
[i]Laudetur Iesus Christus[/i]

Greetings! I just joined this wonderful phorum because I noticed there are not a few Carthusian enthusiasts here who might help me with a dilemma I'm having.

I've been discerning a religious vocation to the monastic life, and I've decided the next vocation retreat I should do is at [url="http://www.parkminster.org.uk/"]St. Hugh's Charterhouse in West Sussex, England[/url] (I'm Canadian, and St. Hugh's seems to appeal to me more than the charterhouse in Vermont).

I used the form on their website to write an introductory email (they don't use phones..I suppose the constant ringing of bells in the charterhouse is enough noise for the monks). It's been almost a month now and I haven't received a reply from the novice master.

I was wondering if anyone knows if it is merely typical of the Carthusian order to avoid haste in replying to vocational inquiries. Does anyone else have an experience to share about trying to contact a charterhouse and having to wait quite a while for a reply?

There are several options. I could: 1) Wait for a reply, even if it takes a year; 2) Write a more straightforward email message outlining my discernment process and directly asking to make a retreat; 3) Inundate the charterhouse's inbox with emails. Options 1 and 2 seem more prudent.

I recall reading in Nancy Klein-McGuire's book, [i]An Infinity of Little Hours[/i], that the monks only receive and reply to mail on important feast days. Perhaps it works the same with email...? This leaves me wondering whether writing to them as we prepare to begin the austere season of Lent will leave me waiting for a reply for quite some time!!! (though they've been practising the Great Monastic Fast since September 14th........)

This is definitely a chance to exercise patience, and with the Lord's grace hopefully I will persevere through this process. In this age of instant electronic communication it's just pretty hard waiting for a reply, especially since the other orders, e.g. the Dominicans, the Norbertines, usually replied to my email within a week.

Pax et bonum.

There are ppl on this group who could help you wait:

Http://groups.yahoo.com/group/IFSB/

International Fellowship of St Bruno.

Blessings,
Gemma

brandelynmarie
:welcome: [color="#272727"]seraphic000. I would write a snail mail letter :mail: inquiring if they had received the e-mail with a brief introduction about yourself & perhaps leave it at that. I'm not certain what the Carthusian M.O. is... :)[/color]

I second brandelynmarie.

When I first wrote to my monastery, I was anxious to be formal and do things properly, I wrote a snail mail letter and waited three months before sending an email as to whether they'd received it. Of course they had - the Abbess had lost it in a pile of papers and thought she'd replied to it. Since then I've done all my communication with them by email :)

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that this is just how they do vocational inquiries, or that they are testing you. Maybe try again with a brief, neutral note by email or postcard. And let us know how it goes!

Both ladies give good advice, and that might be the same advice given by those on IFSB who have experience with St Hugh's.

Pardon my lack of manners. Welcome to the forum.

Blessings,
Gemma

I would definitely write a follow up letter (either email or snail mail). Just mention that you had sent a letter and had wanted to make sure they had received it. When I was first contacting communities I was reminded by a good friend that communities run on "convent/monastery time". Which is very different from our idea of time (ie how long it takes them to reply to mail).The first contact is always difficult but eventually you learn how long it takes for a community to get back to you.
Also welcome! :wave:

AccountDeleted

They might not have received the web mail. I would try sending a snail mail just to confirm that they did receive it. Best wishes for your discernment.

Laudetur Jesus Christus!, hmmm 'Website Forms', sometimes in my experience do not even make it through to the correct place..., since especially monks aren’t usually the webmasters and cant/don’t fix problems....so, my fellow Canadian!, with them being Carthusians,and it’s been a month.. i think you are patient, i would write regular-snail mail, explaining you understand their pace of life may mean a deliberately unhurried response, but due to the internets, you were just wanting to make sure they received your inquiry..then, wait patiently in Our Lords hands.---
(actually each first Monastic inquiry anywhere , i personally think, snail mail is best.)it once took me 4 1/2 months to receive a letter from the Grande Chartreuse, and i was living in France at the time!!!..i would be suspect if Carthusians of all... responded quickly to an email!!! yet the time of year one writes makes a difference, but regarding when they can write( Feast days for example) that is more for personal use regarding family/close friends, whilst the Prior and Novice Master etc., are not strictly bound to this limitation, and at Charterhouses , and other strictly enclosed Communities they have usually have a dedicated person, if not the Abbot/Prior, to respond to all reasonable external requests in a timely fashion. (the French Monastics still love fax machines too!) May God’s grace be realized in and for you at this time...
PAX

PS, i have been to St Hughs for an afternoon........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbSHU06PjFc&hd=1

Edited by EJames2

I had a similar thing with a community I contacted via a form on their website. I got impatient and ended up sending them a snail mail letter as well after about a month. I ended up getting snail-mail responses to both, it was just they used the second class mail and it took a while to get to me. And that's within the UK so between here and Canada would be even slower. I'd say just be patient for a little longer, then if after another month you still haven't heard then enquire again.

InPersonaChriste

I find it is easier to express your intentions through a letter. Though I know was asked to use e-mail because of postage costs, I am far enough along in my discernment that they know me fairly well (a year of snail mail from Canada to the US with a nun who is only allowwed to write 3 letters a month... Let's just say it definitely tested my patience, most especially during Canadian post's strike..)

I would take Bradelyn's advice.

And welcome to the phorum! I personally have a soft spot for Carthusians, as does my brother.

Visitation Sisters

Hello. We used to have two Visitation Monasteries in Sussex and one was next door to the Carthusians so some of us know them quite well and not only because of geography . The novice master is Fr Cyril and I was in contact with him fairly recently. May I suggest you write an email again and also via ordinary mail - sometimes email gets lost in cyberspace! I know Fr Cyril and Brother Simon, the Procurator, check emails regularly but it is possible yours has gone astray.
Every blessing, Sr Jane Margaret

JMJT

I also highly recommend your write another letter.. I corresponded with a Mother Superior about a visit this January in the beginning of December. I waited and waited and waited. The dates to visit came and I still had not received a letter! I wrote Mother to find out she had sent the letter out about travel plans.. My spiritual father told me the devil wants to delay entrances (as much as he can) into religious orders because he knows how fruitful the life is. fight the fight and don't give up! Maybe put a little holy water or blessed salt in your letter. And ask your Guardian Angel to protect it and any future letters with the Novice Master of the Carthusian order you are interested in. Be assured of all our prayers for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the hearty welcome, everyone!

Update: THEY REPLIED!

I received an e-mail from Br. Albert Mary, who apparently is the current novice master. He sent me a questionnaire to fill out and return to them. He also agreed with my suggestion that perhaps I could make a retreat in April or late May.

I still have some student debt to pay, so I'm in no rush to enter religious life...but this progress is comforting!!

[quote name='seraphic000' timestamp='1328727787' post='2383779']
[i]+[/i]
[i]Laudetur Iesus Christus[/i]

Greetings! I just joined this wonderful phorum because I noticed there are not a few Carthusian enthusiasts here who might help me with a dilemma I'm having.

I've been discerning a religious vocation to the monastic life, and I've decided the next vocation retreat I should do is at [url="http://www.parkminster.org.uk/"]St. Hugh's Charterhouse in West Sussex, England[/url] (I'm Canadian, and St. Hugh's seems to appeal to me more than the charterhouse in Vermont).

I used the form on their website to write an introductory email (they don't use phones..I suppose the constant ringing of bells in the charterhouse is enough noise for the monks). It's been almost a month now and I haven't received a reply from the novice master.

I was wondering if anyone knows if it is merely typical of the Carthusian order to avoid haste in replying to vocational inquiries. Does anyone else have an experience to share about trying to contact a charterhouse and having to wait quite a while for a reply?

There are several options. I could: 1) Wait for a reply, even if it takes a year; 2) Write a more straightforward email message outlining my discernment process and directly asking to make a retreat; 3) Inundate the charterhouse's inbox with emails. Options 1 and 2 seem more prudent.

I recall reading in Nancy Klein-McGuire's book, [i]An Infinity of Little Hours[/i], that the monks only receive and reply to mail on important feast days. Perhaps it works the same with email...? This leaves me wondering whether writing to them as we prepare to begin the austere season of Lent will leave me waiting for a reply for quite some time!!! (though they've been practising the Great Monastic Fast since September 14th........)

This is definitely a chance to exercise patience, and with the Lord's grace hopefully I will persevere through this process. In this age of instant electronic communication it's just pretty hard waiting for a reply, especially since the other orders, e.g. the Dominicans, the Norbertines, usually replied to my email within a week.

Pax et bonum.
[/quote]
My parish priest once said that he contacted an religious order to sign up for a retreat and they usually didn't have non monks come to the monastery and so they didn't reply and he then found out a long time tater that they were wondering how much he wanted to do that the retreat. I would say contacted them again and be persistent but very respectful. They may just want to know how interested you are.