An Old School Catholic Message Board

The World Is Full Of Sheep

PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest

I am a man that will fight for my rights as a citizen. I have been training in Goju Ryu Karate for eleven years and am a pretty good shot with rifles and Glocks, and I am not afraid to use any of these skills in a real fight. As a man that has traditional Catholic and conservative values, I find myself shocked and ask myself: Why won't anyone else fight?

The world mainly consists of people that act as sheep, simply doing what they are told. A prime example is WWII. I read books about it and watch movies like Schindler's List and think "Why don't they do something? There are thousands of them in the camps and only a few Nazis!" A more recent example is 9/11. If extremists hijacked my plane, I would be the first guy to get up and show them that they're not half as tough as they think they are. Especially since there's over a hundred people on the plane and only about five hijackers! What made only one out of four planes fight for their lives that day? What is wrong with the world today that people won't fight for their inalienable rights given by God? What makes people not stand up to the Nazis and the hijackers? Is it out of fear of getting hurt that people won't fight back? Don't people see the immediate logical error in that plan, that if they don't fight they're going to die anyway? What on earth is going on that made this happen? Did Americans not freely enlist (At least before the draft started a little later) in WWII just seventy years ago? Did all of this craziness start in the sixties, and simply escalate after the Vietnam war? And most importantly: how can we give people a backbone?

eagle_eye222001

The art of manliness has been lost.

It must be found by today's men.

[url="http://artofmanliness.com/"]http://artofmanliness.com/[/url]

right or wrong, there is a good bit of internet tough guy-ism going on in here.

and unless you are specifically referring to the brand of gun named Glock, please refer to them as handguns.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' timestamp='1328840343' post='2384608']
The art of manliness has been lost.

It must be found by today's men.

[url="http://artofmanliness.com/"]http://artofmanliness.com/[/url]
[/quote]

The art of manliness has indeed been lost. I'm thankful that men like Chuck Norris still keep the art of manliness (And no, I am not joking.) We need men to start acting like men before it's too late. If they don't, the world will be full of war and violence, and they'll be forced to act like men, or follow the alternative: die. And honestly, many will choose the latter before they even consider the former.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1328841137' post='2384615']
right or wrong, there is a good bit of internet tough guy-ism going on in here.

and unless you are specifically referring to the brand of gun named Glock, please refer to them as handguns.
[/quote]

I said Glocks because I specifically shoot Glocks. When I'm not shooting Glocks, I'm shooting high-powered rifles. I even shot an assault rifle once.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1328840137' post='2384603']
I am a man that will fight for my rights as a citizen. I have been training in Goju Ryu Karate for eleven years and am a pretty good shot with rifles and Glocks, and I am not afraid to use any of these skills in a real fight. As a man that has traditional Catholic and conservative values, I find myself shocked and ask myself: Why won't anyone else fight?[/QUOTE]

Interesting that you are including yourself amongst those who are fighting since as of yet it seems you've only practiced skills that could be useful in a fight.

[QUOTE]The world mainly consists of people that act as sheep, simply doing what they are told. A prime example is WWII. I read books about it and watch movies like Schindler's List and think "Why don't they do something? There are thousands of them in the camps and only a few Nazis!" A more recent example is 9/11. If extremists hijacked my plane, I would be the first guy to get up and show them that they're not half as tough as they think they are. Especially since there's over a hundred people on the plane and only about five hijackers! What made only one out of four planes fight for their lives that day? What is wrong with the world today that people won't fight for their inalienable rights given by God? What makes people not stand up to the Nazis and the hijackers? Is it out of fear of getting hurt that people won't fight back? Don't people see the immediate logical error in that plan, that if they don't fight they're going to die anyway? What on earth is going on that made this happen? Did Americans not freely enlist (At least before the draft started a little later) in WWII just seventy years ago? Did all of this craziness start in the sixties, and simply escalate after the Vietnam war? And most importantly: how can we give people a backbone?
[/quote]

Ok, champ. You need to slow your roll. You don't know two [mod]language[/mod] about what you would have done had you been on the flight. And speaking as somebody who has actually had a knife pulled on them, not a simulation in a Dojo, but in real life, I can tell you that there is a serious difference between going through a simulation where you know that you are basically safe and having that realization that 'oh poo, this person is really, truly trying to stab me.' There are plenty of people out there who really, truly believe that they are the baddest thing to ever walk the planet only to collapse when things turn from the world of make believe into a real life and death situation. So you need to consider a bit of humility.

The reason that it was only one plane that resisted the terrorists is because that was the only plane where the passengers knew what was awaiting them. Prior to 9/11 most plane hijackings occurred in the 80's. The individual responsible wanted ransoms and to make a point, not mass murder. Everyone had been trained to cooperate because, prior to 9/11 that was the best chance of minimizing bloodshed. The terrorists also claimed to have a bomb on board the planes which they threatened to detonate if there was any resistance.

where you are really getting out of your place is in relation to the camps. Plenty of the individuals in those camps were POWs. Many of them soviet POWs. The Eastern Front of the Second World War was the bloodiest land conflict in history. I grantee you that, despite all the martial artistry and target practice you've engaged in during your 15 year life, you are not nearly as tough as someone who survived fighting on the Eastern Front. Why didn't they rebel? Why didn't the Jews rebel? Probably because they were beaten, starved, unarmed, and in the middle of German controlled territory. Organizing resistance would be exceptionally difficult as you are in a highly totalitarian environment, constantly monitored, and any hint of plotting will bring instant death. I guarantee that the little old Jewish woman I know who survived Auschwitz is about 1,000 times as tough as you or I will ever be. Her right to claim her giant brass [mod]language[/mod] was purchased by surviving years in a true hell on earth and not totally breaking down mentally or emotionally, despite not managing to single handedly ninja chop the Commandant and his guards to death and excaping, as you undoubtedly would have done.

Edited by Lil Red
language

Groo the Wanderer

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1328842458' post='2384626']
Interesting that you are including yourself amongst those who are fighting since as of yet it seems you've only practiced skills that could be useful in a fight.

Ok, champ. You need to slow your roll. You don't know two [mod]language[/mod] about what you would have done had you been on the flight. And speaking as somebody who has actually had a knife pulled on them, not a simulation in a Dojo, but in real life, I can tell you that there is a serious difference between going through a simulation where you know that you are basically safe and having that realization that 'oh poo, this person is really, truly trying to stab me.' There are plenty of people out there who really, truly believe that they are the baddest thing to ever walk the planet only to collapse when things turn from the world of make believe into a real life and death situation. So you need to consider a bit of humility.

The reason that it was only one plane that resisted the terrorists is because that was the only plane where the passengers knew what was awaiting them. Prior to 9/11 most plane hijackings occurred in the 80's. The individual responsible wanted ransoms and to make a point, not mass murder. Everyone had been trained to cooperate because, prior to 9/11 that was the best chance of minimizing bloodshed. The terrorists also claimed to have a bomb on board the planes which they threatened to detonate if there was any resistance.

where you are really getting out of your place is in relation to the camps. Plenty of the individuals in those camps were POWs. Many of them soviet POWs. The Eastern Front of the Second World War was the bloodiest land conflict in history. I grantee you that, despite all the martial artistry and target practice you've engaged in during your 15 year life, you are not nearly as tough as someone who survived fighting on the Eastern Front. Why didn't they rebel? Why didn't the Jews rebel? Probably because they were beaten, starved, unarmed, and in the middle of German controlled territory. Organizing resistance would be exceptionally difficult as you are in a highly totalitarian environment, constantly monitored, and any hint of plotting will bring instant death. I guarantee that the little old Jewish woman I know who survived Auschwitz is about 1,000 times as tough as you or I will ever be. Her right to claim her giant brass [mod]language[/mod] was purchased by surviving years in a true hell on earth and not totally breaking down mentally or emotionally, despite not managing to single handedly ninja chop the Commandant and his guards to death and excaping, as you undoubtedly would have done.
[/quote] :hotstuff:

Edited by Lil Red

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' timestamp='1328843014' post='2384630']
:hotstuff:
[/quote]

I appreciate you pictorially summarizing your points.

Hasan is afraid of your manliness.

But seriously, you're 15? You'll figure out why people are sheep as you get older, and have to fight your own urge to be sheepish. I'll agree that manliness is a lost art, but arthofmaliness.com doesn't exactly convey what being a real man is. Hasan was perhaps not the most charitable, but he did hit an important point:

[b]Real men suffer.[/b]

PhuturePriest

I am not saying I'm the toughest man to hit the earth, nor am I saying that I could never lose. Even with training all of your life, you can still lose easily. I am confident in my abilities and my reactions in tough situations are very good. I have been in a situation that could've killed me, but I didn't think, I simply reacted. I am good at reactions and I am a good martial artist. This is not arrogance, but seeing my strengths. I fail at many things, and I will freely admit that.

However, none of this matters.

This is not what this thread is about. It is about the crisis of men not being men, not me or you.

[quote name='arfink' timestamp='1328843437' post='2384636']
Hasan is afraid of your manliness.

But seriously, you're 15? You'll figure out why people are sheep as you get older, and have to fight your own urge to be sheepish. I'll agree that manliness is a lost art, but arthofmaliness.com doesn't exactly convey what being a real man is. Hasan was perhaps not the most charitable, but he did hit an important point:

[b]Real men suffer.[/b]
[/quote]

Well. I didn't intend to be rude. But he is way out of his lane in talking about what a bona fide bad arse he would be had he been facing the onslaught of Nazism. I know people who were in the camps and similar situations (like the genocide in Bosnia) and really don't appreciate the OP basically calling them kitty cats because they didn't aspire to his utterly untested standard of appropiatly bad-arse behavior. And I think it is just totally and utterly disrespectful for someone whose real life experience seems to be confined to shooting at a target and playing around in a Dojo to boast about what a bunch of sheep the individuals who went through the Nazi's camps and the hijacked planes are. That's just incredibly disrespectful of people who went through an event far more traumatic and trying than anything he, I, or anyone else here could possibly imagine.

Edited by Hasan

Yes, but I think what Hasan and I are seeing, if you'll pardon my insensitive and reductionist approach, is you saying things like:

"Men should be acting like Chuck Norris, and that would solve our crisis."
or
"Men should be proficient with rifles and willing to use them, and that will solve our crisis."
or
"Men should be violent towards people who oppose their viewpoints, so as to solve our crisis."

If you didn't mean this, then why the crazy aggro posts?

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1328843650' post='2384642']
I am not saying I'm the toughest man to hit the earth, nor am I saying that I could never lose. Even with training all of your life, you can still lose easily. I am confident in my abilities and my reactions in tough situations are very good. I have been in a situation that could've killed me, but I didn't think, I simply reacted. I am good at reactions and I am a good martial artist. This is not arrogance, but seeing my strengths. I fail at many things, and I will freely admit that.

However, none of this matters.

This is not what this thread is about. It is about the crisis of men not being men, not me or you.
[/quote]

Really? What experience have you had that could possibly compare to being in a Nazi camp or on those planes?