An Old School Catholic Message Board

The World Is Full Of Sheep

PhuturePriest

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Hubertus' timestamp='1329244758' post='2386991']
I don't know much about unions, but my friends went to do some volunteer work over the summer in Chicago and they were told they couldn't do anything, not even build a handicap ramp.. Just paint. And apparently you can't fix something in your house if it's broken, you have to call an electrician/plumber/etc to do it. They said it was because of so much union legislation(?) there. That sounds like an abuse to me... Can anyone else shed some light on this?
[/quote]
Any work you do could take work away from !gasp! a union worker. That is why little kids are not allowed to clean up parts of my city, the last time they did it, a grievance was filed and won. :mad5:

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1328840137' post='2384603']
I am a man that will fight for my rights as a citizen. I have been training in Goju Ryu Karate for eleven years and am a pretty good shot with rifles and Glocks, and I am not afraid to use any of these skills in a real fight. As a man that has traditional Catholic and conservative values, I find myself shocked and ask myself: Why won't anyone else fight?

The world mainly consists of people that act as sheep, simply doing what they are told. A prime example is WWII. I read books about it and watch movies like Schindler's List and think "Why don't they do something? There are thousands of them in the camps and only a few Nazis!" A more recent example is 9/11. If extremists hijacked my plane, I would be the first guy to get up and show them that they're not half as tough as they think they are. Especially since there's over a hundred people on the plane and only about five hijackers! What made only one out of four planes fight for their lives that day? What is wrong with the world today that people won't fight for their inalienable rights given by God? What makes people not stand up to the Nazis and the hijackers? Is it out of fear of getting hurt that people won't fight back? Don't people see the immediate logical error in that plan, that if they don't fight they're going to die anyway? What on earth is going on that made this happen? Did Americans not freely enlist (At least before the draft started a little later) in WWII just seventy years ago? Did all of this craziness start in the sixties, and simply escalate after the Vietnam war? And most importantly: how can we give people a backbone?
[/quote]

I read the entire thread, but quoted the opening post for a reason.

FP: The reason why people are critiquing you is because of your original opening statement(s). I understand that you corrected/clarified a number of your points now, but you shouldn't be surprised if people have had the initial reaction the way they did based on the original.

With this in mind and based on your latest replies, I applaud you on your motivation and willingness to stand up for what you believe to be injustices that happen in our world. The thing is, and *part of it is because of your age*, you do come off a little too niave. Don't take that as an insult, it's just being realistic. I was niave, and at times I still am, ESPECIALLY when I signed that Army contract wanting to be a Paratrooper.

A lot of people don't fight because there are times they think they can actually get away, so how can you blame them if they don't know any better? It's a lot easier to talk the talk, but not walk the walk. I do agree though that the general public can seem to be too cowardly when it should stand up for themselves.

I am a little tainted re unions. When my dad was a young accountant, he worked for a company that was unionized. The plant workers went on strike and my dad had to work many extra hours outside his normal accountant responsibilities, driving forklift, loading trucks, etc. to maintain as much as possible production. He was violently harassed, having bottles, rocks, etc thrown at him. Union members would be standing in his driveway as he returned home threatening him. He was married with three kids and me on the way. His coworker was severely beaten at his home. My dad believes that if his pregnant wife was not standing at the door to the driveway, he would have been beaten too.

This was many years ago, but it still hits me emotionally.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1329310840' post='2387397']
I am a little tainted re unions. When my dad was a young accountant, he worked for a company that was unionized. The plant workers went on strike and my dad had to work many extra hours outside his normal accountant responsibilities, driving forklift, loading trucks, etc. to maintain as much as possible production. He was violently harassed, having bottles, rocks, etc thrown at him. Union members would be standing in his driveway as he returned home threatening him. He was married with three kids and me on the way. His coworker was severely beaten at his home. My dad believes that if his pregnant wife was not standing at the door to the driveway, he would have been beaten too.

This was many years ago, but it still hits me emotionally.
[/quote]

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' timestamp='1329261440' post='2387132']
Any work you do could take work away from !gasp! a union worker. That is why little kids are not allowed to clean up parts of my city, the last time they did it, a grievance was filed and won. :mad5:
[/quote]

Exactly. Of course, watch what you say, because this is what's known as "politically incorrect". The only thing that's saved you is you're a regulator. If it had been me that said that I would've been given the blood eagle by now.

[quote name='Ice_nine' timestamp='1329263458' post='2387146']
the world is stupid
[/quote]

If only the humans would just go away, the world would be a paradise.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1329325891' post='2387507']
If only the humans would just go away, the world would be a paradise.
[/quote]
Just most humans... We will need some to survive...

[img]http://socal.umwblogs.org/files/2010/10/Dr-Strangelove1.jpg[/img]

Edited by Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1329324621' post='2387498']
Exactly. Of course, watch what you say, because this is what's known as "politically incorrect". The only thing that's saved you is you're a regulator. If it had been me that said that I would've been given the blood eagle by now.
[/quote]
We have blood eagles?

Benedict XVI re unions. It's brief, but you can look up more if you're interested.

[url="http://blog.aflcio.org/2009/07/08/papal-encyclical-workers-rights-to-form-unions-must-be-honored/"]http://blog.aflcio.org/2009/07/08/papal-encyclical-workers-rights-to-form-unions-must-be-honored/[/url]

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1329310840' post='2387397']I am a little tainted re unions. [/quote]

whaddya got against reunions? it's a great opportunity to get drunk and make fun of your relatives or old classmates.

Were there any paragraphs about using laws to compel union membership?

My union sent around a tract encouraging me to support Obama's jobs bill because there would be money allocated to fire departments. This money would come from expansion of the money supply--which is the modern version of currency debasement. Which is a form of theft.

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1329326957' post='2387512']
Just most humans... We will need some to survive...

[img]http://socal.umwblogs.org/files/2010/10/Dr-Strangelove1.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

Can't afford to have a mine-shaft gap!!!!