An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sisters Of Life

Annie12

Hi,
Does anyone know if the sisters of life have strict rules regarding health of applicants? I have a gluten allergy and I am worried they will reject me as soon as they find this out. I was already crushed by a prior rejection. I'm very worried. Thanks in advance! :saint2:

[quote name='Annie12' timestamp='1329261734' post='2387136']
Hi,
Does anyone know if the sisters of life have strict rules regarding health of applicants? I have a gluten allergy and I am worried they will reject me as soon as they find this out. I was already crushed by a prior rejection. I'm very worried. Thanks in advance! :saint2:
[/quote]

Well, if it helps my freshman religion teacher had a gluten allergy and the Felicians accepted her...

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='Byzantine' timestamp='1329266791' post='2387186']
Well, if it helps my freshman religion teacher had a gluten allergy and the Felicians accepted her...
[/quote]

I LOVE THE FELICIANS

:hijack:

Byzantine, Thank you! This gives me hope!
Has anyone else been rejected before you even apply? It happened to me and I felt crushed so I ignored my vocation for several moths to deal with my hurt feelings. I was trying not to be a baby about it but now I realize that it was okay to feel sad. I'm young and probably naive so I'm just learning about the inns and outs of a religious vocation. Does anyone else have any advice? Thanks! :pope2:

[quote name='Annie12' timestamp='1329524040' post='2388728']
Byzantine, Thank you! This gives me hope!
Has anyone else been rejected before you even apply? It happened to me and I felt crushed so I ignored my vocation for several moths to deal with my hurt feelings. I was trying not to be a baby about it but now I realize that it was okay to feel sad. I'm young and probably naive so I'm just learning about the inns and outs of a religious vocation. Does anyone else have any advice? Thanks! :pope2:
[/quote]

Not so much rejected as turned down. I don't like that word "rejected" so I don't use it. But I was turned away from a religious order that I visited in November 2011. I loved the retreat and thoroughly believed that God was calling me to further discernment with this order. I contacted the Sister in charge of vocations and she sent me a rather harsh email explaining that I didn't fulfill their requirements (i.e. getting a job) so they felt I did not have a vocation to their order. I was so angry with them for handling it the way they did and I was crushed. Because of my feelings, I decided not to contact the VD again before I could calm down. When I finally did, I rationally explained that I felt it was inappropriate for them to handle such sensitive topics by email and that I was really confused regarding their decision because I told them that I was in school and couldn't find a job yet. I didn't feel it was their business to pressure me into something I wasn't ready for. Especially since I have ADD and had struggled with the same class I was in Fall 2011 so I wanted to make sure to devote all my time and energy into studying. It worked because I passed that class with a "B" even though it was difficult.

Anyway, I feel that if a community can't meet you where you are when you have given them a good explanation of your problems, then it's not meant to be. Don't put all your time and effort where it won't be appreciated. Take a break and then move on. It IS ok to feel sad and upset, but be careful not to vent your emotions inappropriately. ;)

If that doesn't work out for you, please feel free to check out our emerging charism, the Sisters of the Holy Innocents and St Gianna Molla

Http://cloisters.tripod.com/holyinnocents/

They are to be just like the Sisters of Life, only (cranberry) Dominicans who take older vocations and postabortive women.

Blessings,
Gemma

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1329530204' post='2388775']
Not so much rejected as turned down. I don't like that word "rejected" so I don't use it. But I was turned away from a religious order that I visited in November 2011. I loved the retreat and thoroughly believed that God was calling me to further discernment with this order. I contacted the Sister in charge of vocations and she sent me a rather harsh email explaining that I didn't fulfill their requirements (i.e. getting a job) so they felt I did not have a vocation to their order. I was so angry with them for handling it the way they did and I was crushed. Because of my feelings, I decided not to contact the VD again before I could calm down. When I finally did, I rationally explained that I felt it was inappropriate for them to handle such sensitive topics by email and that I was really confused regarding their decision because I told them that I was in school and couldn't find a job yet. I didn't feel it was their business to pressure me into something I wasn't ready for. Especially since I have ADD and had struggled with the same class I was in Fall 2011 so I wanted to make sure to devote all my time and energy into studying. It worked because I passed that class with a "B" even though it was difficult.

Anyway, I feel that if a community can't meet you where you are when you have given them a good explanation of your problems, then it's not meant to be. Don't put all your time and effort where it won't be appreciated. Take a break and then move on. It IS ok to feel sad and upset, but be careful not to vent your emotions inappropriately. ;)
[/quote]
Heart for Jesus, I'm sorry if I offended you I did not mean anything by my choice of words. I will choose my words more wisely in the future! Thank you for your response!
[quote name='Gemma' timestamp='1329534047' post='2388808']
If that doesn't work out for you, please feel free to check out our emerging charism, the Sisters of the Holy Innocents and St Gianna Molla

[url="Http://cloisters.tripod.com/holyinnocents/"]Http://cloisters.tri.../holyinnocents/[/url]

They are to be just like the Sisters of Life, only (cranberry) Dominicans who take older vocations and postabortive women.

Blessings,
Gemma
[/quote]
Thank you! I will check them out!

[quote name='Annie12' timestamp='1329536099' post='2388821']
Heart for Jesus, I'm sorry if I offended you I did not mean anything by my choice of words. I will choose my words more wisely in the future! Thank you for your response!

Thank you! I will check them out!
[/quote]

Hun, you didn't offend me. I just don't like that word. I don't believe that the Holy Spirit rejects anyone. I think He is a loving, caring Father who truly cares about our happiness. It's just that, sometimes, the truth is hard to swallow. And we have to remember that Sisters are just as flawed as the rest of us so, the way that the truth is presented is not always nice. ;)

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1329543602' post='2388859']
Hun, you didn't offend me. I just don't like that word. I don't believe that the Holy Spirit rejects anyone. I think He is a loving, caring Father who truly cares about our happiness. It's just that, sometimes, the truth is hard to swallow. And we have to remember that Sisters are just as flawed as the rest of us so, the way that the truth is presented is not always nice. ;)
[/quote]
I completely agree and understand! :smile2: Right now I really confused as to where the Holy Spirit is leading me. I have been discerning for three years and I still am confused. I reached out to people who I thought could help me and it seemed like they were too busy (which I can understand) but I guess I'm just swimming in my own confusion right now. :think: Now I am planning to head off to college next year and I fell like I have not found out if its right for me to do that! I appreciate everyone help on this forum! Even through this confusion, I just keep saying in my head "Jesus I trust in you" because I know he will lead me to what I am on earth to do! I just get discouraged sometimes.

Edited by Annie12

[quote name='Annie12' timestamp='1329583758' post='2388946']
I completely agree and understand! :smile2: Right now I really confused as to where the Holy Spirit is leading me. I have been discerning for three years and I still am confused. I reached out to people who I thought could help me and it seemed like they were too busy (which I can understand) but I guess I'm just swimming in my own confusion right now. :think: Now I am planning to head off to college next year and I fell like I have not found out if its right for me to do that! I appreciate everyone help on this forum! Even through this confusion, I just keep saying in my head "Jesus I trust in you" because I know he will lead me to what I am on earth to do! I just get discouraged sometimes.
[/quote]

Just know that you are not alone. I'm constantly having to keep my heart open because, anytime I feel that I've found the answer, God tells me something else and I just HAVE to check it out. As you can see on my profile, I discerned seriously for 4 years (2007-2011). I created a topic recently that talked about my conversation with some Sisters who were visiting my parish. One of the Sisters told me, after we talked for a while, that she was looking at me during the Mass and wondering if I had a vocation or had ever thought about one. Now, I'm not putting much stock into that because, while it is nice to hear, I still need to discern for myself whether God is calling me to religious life. I'm not really putting much effort into it right now because I feel like I was putting other needed stuff off while I was discerning because I was so worried I would miss whatever He was trying to tell me. I prayed and put it completely in God's hands and said 'if you want me to be a religious, I need you to show me what to do because I don't have patience to attend all these retreats anymore.' :hehe2:

Anyway, spiritual direction is highly recommended if you can find someone to do it. I cannot find anyone in my diocese as of yet but I'm keeping my eyes and ears open.

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1329607174' post='2389048']

Just know that you are not alone. I'm constantly having to keep my heart open because, anytime I feel that I've found the answer, God tells me something else and I just HAVE to check it out. As you can see on my profile, I discerned seriously for 4 years (2007-2011). I created a topic recently that talked about my conversation with some Sisters who were visiting my parish. One of the Sisters told me, after we talked for a while, that she was looking at me during the Mass and wondering if I had a vocation or had ever thought about one. Now, I'm not putting much stock into that because, while it is nice to hear, I still need to discern for myself whether God is calling me to religious life. I'm not really putting much effort into it right now because I feel like I was putting other needed stuff off while I was discerning because I was so worried I would miss whatever He was trying to tell me. I prayed and put it completely in God's hands and said 'if you want me to be a religious, I need you to show me what to do because I don't have p

atience to attend all these retreats anymore.' :hehe2:

Anyway, spiritual direction is highly recommended if you can find someone to do it. I cannot find anyone in my diocese as of yet but I'm keeping my eyes and ears open.
[/quote]

Stick to the spiritual classics and daily duty. That's the Dominican way of doing it.

Blessings,
Gemma

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1329607174' post='2389048']
Just know that you are not alone. I'm constantly having to keep my heart open because, anytime I feel that I've found the answer, God tells me something else and I just HAVE to check it out. As you can see on my profile, I discerned seriously for 4 years (2007-2011). I created a topic recently that talked about my conversation with some Sisters who were visiting my parish. One of the Sisters told me, after we talked for a while, that she was looking at me during the Mass and wondering if I had a vocation or had ever thought about one. Now, I'm not putting much stock into that because, while it is nice to hear, I still need to discern for myself whether God is calling me to religious life. I'm not really putting much effort into it right now because I feel like I was putting other needed stuff off while I was discerning because I was so worried I would miss whatever He was trying to tell me. I prayed and put it completely in God's hands and said 'if you want me to be a religious, I need you to show me what to do because I don't have patience to attend all these retreats anymore.' :hehe2:

[/quote]

I looked at you page and just wanted to let you know that both my parents went to nursing school and my dad has been a nurse for over 10 years and my mom was a nurse for a year ( she couldn't continue though because it was too hard on her joints) but it seems like a good field to go into!

I don't know what their policy is per se about a glutten intolerance/allergy; to my knowledge, I don't believe any of their sisters have this allergy/intolerance. As always, it is best to be open and upfront about this with them. No use attempting to discern with them (and possibly having your heart set on them) when your allergy would be a problem from the beginning. Remember that God, in his infinite wisdom, has given you this particular condition; somehow your vocation will fit in with that medical need. God bless you.

[quote name='Annie12' timestamp='1329609359' post='2389057']
I looked at you page and just wanted to let you know that both my parents went to nursing school and my dad has been a nurse for over 10 years and my mom was a nurse for a year ( she couldn't continue though because it was too hard on her joints) but it seems like a good field to go into!
[/quote]

Nursing seems to run in my family on my mom's side. My grandmother, aunt, and cousin are all nurses. My cousin is finishing up the Master's program to become a Pediatric Nurse Practitioner (ARNP) in May. She's also pregnant with her first child who is due in June! :woot:

I was a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) at a nursing home for about 6 months and got scared out of the nursing field by a very judgemental unit manager. She and another LPN kept telling me how difficult it would be and that I probably wasn't meant for it because I had trouble keeping up with the time management. Nevermind that I was a brand new CNA and hadn't had the experience of doing things on my own since I finished the CNA program at school. I also didn't ask for their opinion. Stupid me was fooled into thinking they were right. I don't think that way anymore and I have more confidence in myself. I'm really looking forward to going into the RN program. :)