An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Secret All Women Should Know

PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest

[quote name='regina_coeli' timestamp='1329767895' post='2390190']

Since many of the apostles were married and established in their careers of fishing or tax collecting or whatever, I think they had life experience already. And that made the decision even more important!
[/quote]

Well, only Peter was married as far as we know, and John was merely fifteen. He probably became a fishermen just because that's what his dad did, so he most likely didn't put much thought into it.

Edited by FuturePriest387

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1329757848' post='2390039']
So priests can't write about marriage?
[/quote]

Miss Scripture covered most of it, but priests are actually trained to counsel people, including married couples, and I imagine that kind of training helps them enormously. Moreover, many priests did in fact date before they discerned vocations to the priesthood, so why the heck shouldn't they talk about dating? There's certainly no reason they should have less experience dating than anyone else.

In my family if a child or teenager tried to advise an adult, they would get a snappy, "Don't teach your grandmother to s u c k eggs" in reply. And frankly it's probably a good rule of thumb.

Edited by MissMaro

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1329768404' post='2390199'] He probably became a fishermen just because that's what his dad did, so he most likely didn't put much thought into it.
[/quote]
That's why everyone did what they did in those days. Remember how St. Joseph was a carpenter? What profession was Jesus trained to do?

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1329768404' post='2390199']
Well, only Peter was married as far as we know, and John was merely fifteen. He probably became a fishermen just because that's what his dad did, so he most likely didn't put much thought into it.
[/quote]

I'm just curious but where do you get this fifteen from? I've never heard an age being put on him, aside from saying he was the youngest of the apostles.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1329769333' post='2390210']

I'm just curious but where do you get this fifteen from? I've never heard an age being put on him, aside from saying he was the youngest of the apostles.
[/quote]

He was said to have not had a beard yet, which means he was considerably young. Tim Staples and Father David Mary of the Franciscan Brothers Minor have both said he was fifteen specifically, so I'm going with fifteen.