An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Secret All Women Should Know

PhuturePriest

[quote name='XIX' timestamp='1329622452' post='2389167']
:doh:
[/quote]

isn't the saying something like, if you would make a great mom/dad, you'd make a great nun/priest?

if a seminarian has a disordered view of marriage or women, he will not be an effective priest.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1329622222' post='2389157']
Smack your head all you want, it doesn't change what I actually said. Make-up isn't evil, and neither is perfume. I personally do not like perfume or make-up, but that doesn't mean I advise against using either entirely. I said those simply because many women use way too much of both. It's advice, not infallible teaching by the Pope. If you don't like my opinions, great. But you don't have to smack yourself silly or make me feel like I'm a stupid jerk for being old-fashioned.
[/quote]
many women? in your experience, right? how many women do you interact with on a daily basis? you know that for a professional woman, part of the "uniform" is to wear make-up. It is just expected.

and I will feel free to leave advice by 15 year olds by the wayside.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='mysisterisalittlesister' timestamp='1329622675' post='2389170']
no offense, because I think that your statements are definitely true, but it might not have been a good idea for putting this on open mic. No one really feels like taking you seriously here*

*[size=1]annoying mods, they alwayes think that they can make fun of people freely >:([/size]
[/quote]

I understand what you mean. Had I known this place is chalk-full of people that wish no more than making fun of anything you say (Because, after all, their position and their position alone is right, no matter what) I would never have come here. I can guarantee you this is most likely my last thread ever in Open Mic. Where might I go where all opinions are treated maturely? So far, that's Vocation Station, since just about everyone is nice there, but this is wrong for VS.

Ok let's simmer down a bit here peoples. Red and those who share her opinions are not saying anything against modest dress or makeup. I've seen them argue for those things ad nauseum. What they are taking exception to is the condescending tone you are putting on things FP.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1329618420' post='2389123']
This has been touched on in another thread, but I feel I should put my own thoughts on it.

Despite obviously not planning to get married and instead aspiring to be a Franciscan, I feel women should know that I personally find modesty is much more attractive. I find the Duggar girls in their ankle-long skirts and modest shirts much more attractive than a woman in a bikini.[b] I absolutely hate all make-up, as I feel it not only makes you less attractive, but it shows you aren't self-confident, and this detracts most men.[/b] I do not like it when women flirt with me. Not only is flirting at all in poor taste, but it makes me feel emasculated. As Jason Evert says in one of his books that I can't seem to remember, the man is the initiator. He is the one that makes the first move, not the other way around. [b]The most emasculating thing I can think of is a woman asking me out or proposing to me. The very thought makes me shudder, and if there is any advice I can give it would be not to initiate the first move,[/b] even if the guy is too shy to ask you out. The reason he does this is fear of rejection. If you're not worth this rejection in his eyes, he is not worthy of you, and you need to look on. If you ask him out because you know he wants to, it doesn't make the matter better. [b]All you've done is make him think that he can get away with not having to initiate the relationship, and this may ruin his idea of the man's role in a relationship forever.[/b]

Do not wear too much perfume. Most women put too much on, and it becomes far too strong and gags us out. The last thing you want is the guy to have a headache and to keep his distance on a date.

If you have any questions just ask. I'll give my personal input on the matter. I'm hopefully never going to date in my life, as this means I didn't become a Franciscan, but I still feel that women need to know what guys actually think.

P.S. If there are words that don't make sense I am on my iPod and the auto-ccorrect is really ineffective.
[/quote]

These are the lines that are condescending and mysogenistic. Telling women that their makeup is showing that they are not self confident is going to offend some pholks. And here is some news that may shock you FP

Women flirt.

Sometimes it's a bad thing, I'll grant you. Just like sometimes the way men flirt is a bad thing. But here me out, not all flirting is bad.

I don't think you meant to be condescending or mysogenistic FP. And maybe it's hard to be eloquent on an iPod Touch. I'm just trying to clarify how you ruffled some feathers tonight.

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' timestamp='1329623012' post='2389176'] Yeah.... I think the only thing I can wholeheartedly agree with in the OP is don't wear too much perfume. [/quote]

our noses (men & women) get used to how much we put on, so we keep putting it on. What I heard was three spritzes (four at most) at the most sensitive spots, for women: décolletage, elbow pits, and knee pits. some women prefer behind the ears, though.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1329618420' post='2389123']
[color=#282828]I do not like it when women flirt with me. Not only is flirting at all in poor taste, but it makes me feel emasculated...[/color]
[color=#282828]The most emasculating thing I can think of is a woman asking me out or proposing to me...[/color]
[/quote]

Pardon my curiosity, but I am not able to grasp this concept.

I can understand if one's personal failings in progress in virtue makes one feel emasculated, but why should an expression of interest from a member of the fairer sex make you feel emasculated?

In the interests of full disclosure, I have next to zero experience with romantic relationships, and so I probably shouldn't be taking part in this discussion at all, but still, I wanted to mention a point that you might have overlooked:

You say,

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1329618420' post='2389123'][color=#282828] if there is any advice I can give it would be not to initiate the first move, even if the guy is too shy to ask you out. The reason he does this is fear of rejection. If you're not worth this rejection in his eyes, he is not worthy of you, and you need to look on. If you ask him out because you know he wants to, it doesn't make the matter better. All you've done is make him think that he can get away with not having to initiate the relationship, and this may ruin his idea of the man's role in a relationship forever. [/color]
[/quote]

But can't there be situations where a man has not expressed his interest in a lady for any number of other good reasons other than fear of rejection?

Anyway, just my two cents. As I said, I probably shouldn't even be in this thread anyway.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1329623117' post='2389178']

many women? in your experience, right? how many women do you interact with on a daily basis? you know that for a professional woman, part of the "uniform" is to wear make-up. It is just expected.

and I will feel free to leave advice by 15 year olds by the wayside.
[/quote]

I will say this only one more time: wearing make-up is NOT bad. I never said it was. I said I didn't like it and it can send the wrong signals.

So you throw advice away because of my age? Saint Padre Pio entered the Capuchin Franciscans when he was fifteen. If he gave you advice would you go "Pft. Silly fifteen year old. You don't know anything or have any valid opinions. You get that at the magical age of eighteen!"?

mysisterisalittlesister

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1329623156' post='2389179']
I understand what you mean. Had I known this place is chalk-full of people that wish no more than making fun of anything you say (Because, after all, their position and their position alone is right, no matter what) I would never have come here. I can guarantee you this is most likely my last thread ever in Open Mic. Where might I go where all opinions are treated maturely? So far, that's Vocation Station, since just about everyone is nice there, but this is wrong for VS.
[/quote] Oh, just start it again in VS. Nobody cares that it has nothing to do with vocations, because their all nice there. Just make sure there are no mods allowed!

and actually, if when my daughter is dating, I'll make sure to drown her in perfume so her date won't be getting to close to her, if ya know what i mean. ;)

MissScripture

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1329623370' post='2389181']
our noses (men & women) get used to how much we put on, so we keep putting it on. What I heard was three spritzes (four at most) at the most sensitive spots, for women: décolletage, elbow pits, and knee pits. some women prefer behind the ears, though.
[/quote]
If I wear any (which is rare, it's just not something I think about), I just spritz it in the air and walk through the mist. :idontknow:

IcePrincessKRS

[/quote]

Dude, you're entitled to your opinions, but when you say something that basically is like saying "Hey, the majority of you women here are emasculating and immodest" you can't really expect it to be taken kindly.

[quote name='jaime' timestamp='1329622842' post='2389174']
[size=1]don't forget the scholars![/size]
[/quote]
[size=1]Cripes, i'm just militant.[/size]

[/quote]
1. chock*
2. ¡Hola, olla! ¿Conoces la coldera?
3. It is okay to hold whatever views you want, even if they are unconventional or unpopular. However, when insist on preaching about them (loudly and often) - [i]particularly[/i] when you know little to nothing about the pragmatic application of the topic - then yes, your ideas are going to be met with resistance and ridicule.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1329622504' post='2389169']
I'll say this only once: making fun of my position and twisting what I say doesn't make me think better of yours. In fact, I think less of you and I'd your position. Have an adult argument, not an immature twelve year old one.
[/quote]
I don't agree with your OP (I see what you're getting at, but I'd have worded it more carefully).

Nevertheless, I totally understand your frustration. It's taking a while for anybody get around to, yaknow, [i]constructive [/i]criticism? Certain people are chomping at the bit to slam you. I guess that's how adults treams 15 year olds around here. It's...embarrassing, to say the least.

Edited by XIX

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1329623473' post='2389183'] I will say this only one more time: wearing make-up is NOT bad. I never said it was. I said I didn't like it and it can send the wrong signals. So you throw advice away because of my age? Saint Padre Pio entered the Capuchin Franciscans when he was fifteen. If he gave you advice would you go "Pft. Silly fifteen year old. You don't know anything or have any valid opinions. You get that at the magical age of eighteen!"? [/quote]

no, it's more like 25. :|

I'm kidding.
I'm not throwing away your advice *just* because you're 15. It's also the way you're putting it out there. and I didn't say that you don't know anything or don't have valid opinions.

If you're going to post stuff that is going to ruffle feathers (as jaime put it), then be prepared to give a defense of it.