An Old School Catholic Message Board

Shyness

Annie12

Is Shyness a blessing from God or a cross he wishes you to carry? I am VERY shy. Others always think I'm weird at first ( before they know me) because I'm just so shy and reserved. I often wonder why I am so shy. Did God want me to use this trait for something or is it a cross he wishes for me to carry? I know in our society many people are extroverts and can't relate to shy people. Any thoughts?

Heck there is nothing wrong with being shy!! I used to be very shy! Dont worry about it...Shyness isnt a bad thing at all!!!!

God made you that way! :)

PhuturePriest

Shyness isn't a bad thing. Some men even find it cute (Not that you may be looking, it's simply a side-effect). If you'd like to be more outgoing, simply ask a friend how and you can practice, but if you'd like to stay the way you are it's nothing you should worry about, I don't think.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

I am PAINFULLY shy. I always have been. But then when I start talking, I don't stop! :P

I echo the other people in saying, there is nothing wrong with being shy!

[quote name='FutureCarmeliteClaire' timestamp='1329681869' post='2389481']
I am PAINFULLY shy. I always have been. [i][b]But then when I start talking, I don't stop![/b][/i] :P

I echo the other people in saying, there is nothing wrong with being shy!
[/quote]

I know :|

I would say if it doesn't prohibit you from discerning God's will for you, nor 'carrying' it out; then I would think of it as a more neutral thing. That said, just about any trait could be harnessed for good or evil.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='Lil'Monster' timestamp='1329682041' post='2389482']
I know :|
[/quote]
Really, Mon? Really? Ooohhhh, it is on like Donkey Kong...

Edited by FutureCarmeliteClaire

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1329682285' post='2389485']
I would say if it doesn't prohibit you from discerning God's will for you, nor 'carrying' it out; then I would think of it as a more neutral thing. That said, just about any trait could be harnessed for good or evil.
[/quote]

This.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1329681512' post='2389478']
Shyness isn't a bad thing. Some men even find it cute (Not that you may be looking, it's simply a side-effect). If you'd like to be more outgoing, simply ask a friend how and you can practice, but if you'd like to stay the way you are it's nothing you should worry about, I don't think.
[/quote]
Thanks, I find this funny and constructive at the same time ! rotfl

Shyness is definitely not bad, although many extroverts would lead you to believe that.

It is something you can overcome if you want though, it just takes practice. I used to be pretty shy, but I went through a phase of really trying to build my social skills and now talking to people I don't know isn't a problem for me. The more you talk to different people, the less shy you'll become.

Also, I wouldn't necessarily say most people are extroverts. Where I'm at now, it seems like most are shy/introverted.

There is a difference between being introverted and shy.

Introversion means you would rather not speak. You're not afraid of talking in class or on the phone, you just don't enjoy it. You like solitary activities and sometimes feel the need to "recharge" after an extended period of being social, like at a party.

If you are shy - you are actually nervous or afraid of interacting with others, talking in class or with classmates you don't know very well. Many shy people actually would love to talk and socialize, and it's very frustrating for them because they want to but it causes fear and discomfort. They are very self-conscious and they have things they want to say but they can't get it out because they're too scared and nervous.

I am both shy and introverted but much more shy. Some days I just don't feel like being gabby and I prefer to listen and observe practically the entire time. I have gone to parties where I literally say three words. Nevertheless I have a good time, I don't feel worried about talking/not talking.

But most often I have things I would like to say, I am just too nervous to join in the conversation. Often my brain is going a hundred miles a minute trying to think of things to say, evaluating if it sounds stupid and then trying to figure out where I can insert it in the conversation! That's a lot of work compared to what non-shy people do. I create the work for myself because I'm very self-conscious and worry what other people think.

There's nothing wrong with being introverted but being shy can pose problems, because it can prevent you from doing things you really want to do!

FutureSister2009

It's a rare thing for me to be shy. I can be a very loud and outgoing person. But if I'm in a new situation like starting at a new school where I don't know a soul, I will be shy until people start talking to me. I am afraid to be myself around strangers but then once I get to know people and I am comfortable with them, I start to be myself

Mark of the Cross

If we were to categorise human characteristics, then shyness belongs on the list of all the good ones. I was painfully shy as a young person, also being crippled with social anxiety. At 64 I am still shy. As they say a leopard never loses its spots, but what the spiritual humans do is use our defects as an asset by encouraging others how to deal with theirs. Be patient, shyness diminishes with age and you'll learn to deal with it in an exciting way if you use it for Christ.

Also just in case this is something you are interested in, some VERY shy people have Social Anxiety Disorder which is a very treatable condition.

This is not just being shy, but having your shyness really hold you back from living your life as you would like to.

Luckily there are medicines for it, and it can even be fixed without medicine. It's one of the most common anxiety disorders.

[url="http://www.webmd.com/anxiety-panic/guide/just-shy-social-anxiety-disorder"]Here's more about it [/url](also called social phobia).