An Old School Catholic Message Board

Shyness

Annie12

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Maggie' timestamp='1329688964' post='2389588']
Also just in case this is something you are interested in, some VERY shy people have Social Anxiety Disorder which is a very treatable condition.

This is not just being shy, but having your shyness really hold you back from living your life as you would like to.

Luckily there are medicines for it, and it can even be fixed without medicine. It's one of the most common anxiety disorders.

[url="http://www.webmd.com/anxiety-panic/guide/just-shy-social-anxiety-disorder"]Here's more about it [/url](also called social phobia).
[/quote]
Definately go for CBT first. I'm not a professional so my experience may be uncommon, but SSRI's appear to be extremely dangerous! They should only be used for extremely bad cases and monitored very carefully by a competant therapist. Many of the webs horror stories are true. Study first and weigh up the risks. I'm not saying the good they did while they worked (10years) wasn't worth it, but I paid a very heavy price learning (3years
of trying to get off or alternate drugs) that they had turned and were worsening my A&D and (2 years) of discontinuation nightmare getting off them.

Edited by Mark of the Cross

Maggie mentioned being self conscious, and I think that is a huge part of it. Through grade school and HS I would have described myself as shy, meaning very worried about what others were thinking. Luckily, my first job was customer service, and I found out if I smiled, and tried to be the best at my job, that people appreciated the effort, and they smiled, too. It was easier the more I practiced!

PhuturePriest

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1329682285' post='2389485']
I would say if it doesn't prohibit you from discerning God's will for you, nor 'carrying' it out; then I would think of it as a more neutral thing. That said, just about any trait could be harnessed for good or evil.
[/quote]

*Darth Vader voice* Then I shall harness the dark power of kittens...

Edited by FuturePriest387

AccountDeleted

One way to help deal with shyness is to think of the other person and not yourself. Shyness can be caused by focussing too much on self and worrying about how one appears to others. If you try to focus on the other person, you may find that you are spending less time thinking about yourself. Try asking the other person questions about themself or their interests. Once people start talking, then usually the ice of fear melts a little. It's also a charity to think of others before yourself.

By the way, I am not saying that your shyness is wrong, just that there are ways to learn to deal with it. That doesn't mean you need to become the 'life of the party', but just to learn how to cope with social interaction in a healthy way. :)

I am also shy, believe it or not. I had a mom who pushed me into performing. By the time I got to college, I had so much stage fright that I had to be drunk to go on stage. Not good for my voice, and I feel backwards into an orchestra pit once. I routinely fell off smaller stages or just tripped on the steps. At that point, it becomes destructive, or rather my reaction to it was. I quit performing in public, and that ended the drinking.

If tell my friends I'm shy they say, "You? Shy?!?" but actually I'm shy on the inside if that makes sense. On the outside I'm pretty much smiley, talkative and a bit loud.... but on the inside I'm dreading meeting new peeps, worried I'll say something out of place, blush like mad when being introduced to someone, and am generally scared of lots of things. I will talk a lot though once I get to know you. :)

It is a little bit of a cross, but it's one that you can easily get rid of by simply smiling and being polite and kind.

Edited by i<3LSOP

Just don't let your shyness fall into sloth. This world could do with people being more shy. Heck, Phatmass could too. [img]http://planetsmilies.net/grinning-smiley-9511.gif[/img]

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1329756875' post='2390025']
This world could do with people being more shy.
[/quote]

Exactly, like when most girls go out on a date, they could stand to be more shy. :|

[quote name='i<3LSOP' timestamp='1329756965' post='2390029']
Exactly, like when most girls go out on a date, they could stand to be more shy. :|
[/quote]

Indeed.

Perhaps I am old fashioned, but a shy girl is much more appealing than the girl encouraging/welcoming doing body shots.

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1329757246' post='2390033']
Indeed.

Perhaps I am old fashioned, but a shy girl is much more appealing than the girl encouraging/welcoming doing body shots.
[/quote]

I'm certainly [u]not[/u] game for body shots or anything like that, but lots of girls could give a heck about being immodest, impure etc.

Edited by i<3LSOP

mysisterisalittlesister

[quote name='i<3LSOP' timestamp='1329753163' post='2389988']
If tell my friends I'm shy they say, "You? Shy?!?" but actually I'm shy on the inside if that makes sense. On the outside I'm pretty much smiley, talkative and a bit loud.... but on the inside I'm dreading meeting new peeps, worried I'll say something out of place, blush like mad when being introduced to someone, and am generally scared of lots of things. I will talk a lot though once I get to know you. :)

It is a little bit of a cross, but it's one that you can easily get rid of by simply smiling and being polite and kind.
[/quote]. I am the exact same way! There was a pretty good article in Time magazine about being shy. It actually won awards!

[quote name='mysisterisalittlesister' timestamp='1329757968' post='2390040']
. I am the exact same way! [/quote]

And that's why we're friends! (in real life!)

mysisterisalittlesister

[quote name='Lil'Monster' timestamp='1329786855' post='2390353']
I dont do body shots..... :|
[/quote] good to know

I dislike when sb sees you are shy/reserved/introspective and gives you a lecture on self-esteem.

This one time a guy interviewing me for a job told me to look at myself in the mirror every day and smile and think how great I am or something like that. Twas awkward, but he saved it for the end at least, so there is that.