An Old School Catholic Message Board

Homosexual Judge Refuses To Officiate Straight Marriages

BG45

southern california guy

I think that all homosexuals and lesbians should establish their own country -- of only homosexuals and lesbians. And there will be no heterosexual unions of any kind there!

Of course the countries population is going to have to be continually added to from other countries...

Edited by southern california guy

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1330118359' post='2392451']
So modly folks...may I request this all be moved to Debate Table, that seems to be the tone since I looked at the thread yesterday.
[/quote]
yeah, this needs to be moved...someone get on that...

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1330119208' post='2392461']
yeah, this needs to be moved...someone get on that...
[/quote]

I know, if only there was some totally non-foolish persony and handsome mod like that.

Edit: No the c word that rhymes with lump has been philtered!

Edited by BG45

homeschoolmom

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1330122413' post='2392498']
I know, if only there was some totally non-foolish persony and handsome mod like that.

Edit: No the c word that rhymes with lump has been philtered!
[/quote]

foolish person :hehe:

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1330126794' post='2392566']
foolish person :hehe:
[/quote]

foolish person-change

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1330127045' post='2392571']
ch[font=comic sans ms,cursive]u[/font]mps.
[/quote]

How did you make that word work? it philtered on me!

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1330127018' post='2392570']
That's a little extreme. It shouldn't matter to her.
[/quote]

how easily could you make the same argument about a straight judge refusing to perform gay marriages?

This isn't the first thread where my hassy-babe has tried to show that christianity is waning. Of course, Nietzsche thought God is dead, but Nietzsche has nothing on my sweetiepie

[quote name='MissyP89' timestamp='1330115626' post='2392422']
These exist? Please link me.
[/quote]

I read this story a while back, which sparked my question. [url="http://www.experienceproject.com/stories/Am-An-Atheist/1224688"]http://www.experienceproject.com/stories/Am-An-Atheist/1224688[/url]

[quote name='ardillacid' timestamp='1330136178' post='2392636']
This isn't the first thread where my hassy-babe has tried to show that christianity is waning. Of course, Nietzsche thought God is dead, but Nietzsche has nothing on my sweetiepie
[/quote]

Shhhh. You'll make him blush. ;)

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' timestamp='1330112724' post='2392366']
No clause in the Constitution or Declaration of Independence states there a "right" to marriage, and its not up to the Government to invent one.
[/quote]

This argument right here was one of the chief arguments against the Bill of Rights. Many framers (predominately Federalists) were worried that enumerating particular rights would give people the mistaken impression that if a right is not specifically listed in the Constitution then they do not have it. This is incorrect and a complete misreading of our constitution. The constitution is primarily about enumerating the rights of the government, not the people. Hence the very clear and simple language of the 9th Amendment

[i][color=#000000][font=Arial][size=3]The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, [b]shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people[/b].[/size][/font][/color][/i]

Marriage is a civil right. That's why (along with the 14th Amendment) inter-racial marriage was struck down. Maybe you want to argue that the state has a compelling interest in discriminating against same-sex marriage. But trying to argue that marriage is not a civil right is a dead end road. The courts have been pretty consistent on this point. That's not legislating from the bench. That's just having a basic grasp of what the Constitution is and what its function is.

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1330114414' post='2392412']
How this stand up with the atheists against gay marriage?
[/quote]

I wasn't speaking to them. I don't know what ridiculous motivation they might have. If I had to bet I would assume it comes from living in a society that was for so long dominated by an anti-gay religion. People, I'm speaking of myself as well, inheret numerous prejudices from their society.

[quote name='Tally Marx' timestamp='1330113239' post='2392375']
And, furthermore, it isn't simply a matter of religion. It's a matter of concretely benefitting, not benefitting, or harming society... Discerning between which and acting in an appropriate manner is the purpose of our government.
[/quote]

That is true. But if the government wants to deny a civil right to a citizen or class of citizens the government's reasoning must pass constitutional muster. You have no such reasons. "Well, the same book that thinks that the Sun revolves around the Earth thinks that homosexuality is unnatural and wrong, QED" doesn't cut it.