An Old School Catholic Message Board

Poor Clares

MarysLittleFlower

Pax_et bonum

The Franciscan Brothers Minor have a page on their website with reflections on [url="http://www.franciscanbrothersminor.com/FBM/St._Clare.html"]St. Clare[/url] and and letters and such written by her.

It seems as if the news is out, so: the Franciscan Sisters Minor are becoming cloistered Poor Clare nuns this August 9th!

• 4 months later...

Wanted to post this beautiful letter from the Los Altos site:

An Open Letter to a Young Woman on the Threshold of the Cloister
Dear Mary,
So now you have taken all the preliminary steps toward answering those insistent questions in your heart. Is God calling you to a life of worshipful love in the cloister? Are you invited to be a Franciscan penitent giving to all the people of God an example of joyous penitence, as Vatican II described the life of contemplative nuns in its document on religious life? Are you finding yourself drawn to make the same conclusion that Saint Therese of Lisieux did regarding the service of all mankind: “In the heart of my Mother the Church, I will be love!”?
You want to know – [i]for sure[/i], you say. I can appreciate that. But, Mary, remember that what we really want to be sure about is less exactly where we are going or exactly how we are going to get there than who it is we are following. I am thinking about the Scriptural response to vocation.
If you read Matthew 4:18-20, you will see that vocation and response are quite a bit more starkly simple than some counselors would have it. Peter and Andrew were busy and successful fishermen. They were educated and equipped to catch fish. They seemed happy enough. But then Christ walked along the shore – of the lake and of their hearts. And He looked at them. They looked back. He said: “Follow me.” They got up and followed Him. You will notice that they did not say: “Follow you, where?” Nor: “We are fishermen, not preachers.” Not: “What are your plans, and how is everything going to turn out?” Still less did they question Him about how their personalities were going to be fulfilled if they followed Him.
You see, Mary, when you really are looking at Christ, you do not think about questions like that. Not anymore than a girl in love with the man who is making her a proposal of marriage replies with considerations about life insurance policies and color TVs, or tells him that he is very attractive but she does not want to leave home. His love will be her fulfillment. Any woman knows that to be chosen and cherished is her best security. And you strike me as a live young woman.
And do read Matthew 9:9. Here is the classicism of a Greek drama but with the briefest script ever written. It takes one verse of Scripture to describe one of the most dramatic calls and responses ever known. When you experience that feeling of “Oh, it could never be for [i]me![/i]“, remember that it is not just likely that many of us would have selected a tax collector as a bright prospect for Jesus’ first novitiate. You know, Mary, Matthew was living a comfortable life. His job was specifically lucrative. Security. Ease. Does it strike you that Matthew does not say a single word about all that he is giving up to follow Christ, that he doesn’t even heave a single sigh?
It saddens me when a girl talks just too much about what she might have to give up. Again, I say, that is not the language of love. And following Christ is a matter of love. When you are in love, you want only to be with the loved one and share whatever lot is his. If I am back to love again, it is because that is the whole explanation of what is stirring in your heart. Oh, yes, there is pain in partings, pinch of material surrenders, but that is merely incidental to the wonder of being loved. We do not love our parents less for leaving them to enter the cloister any more than a bride of man does in leaving her family perhaps to live at the other end of the world because that is where her husband is. “For this cause a man shall leave father and mother and cling to his wife,” we are reminded in Genesis concerning earthly marriage. And to cling to God if He calls us into His cloistering love, we have to do the same. In Matthew 4:21-22, we are notified that James and John got up and “left their father and their nets.” Family, present concerns. Christ had looked at them. And they looked back. They got up and followed Him. That’s what a religious vocation is, Mary.
But, back to Matthew himself. He knew better than some of us do, what is an appopriate response to being called by Christ to follow Him in a highly specialized and demanding way of life. He didn’t grumble. He celebrated. He arranged a party. (Mt 9:10)
Do I hear you saying: “But they [i]knew[/i] they were called. Our Lord stood right there and looked at them.” Yes, He did, Mary. But there is no guarantee that those He looks at will respond to His summons. Like any normal girl, you would like Christ to stand right in front of you and say: “Follow me into the cloister. I [i]am[/i] inviting you, – I myself.” You think there would be no possibility of a mistake then.
Do you remember the rich young man? (Mk 10:17-23)
He had just what you muse on. Christ stood there, physically, before the boy. It was Jesus’ own human voice that said: “Come follow me.” No doubt about that vocation. But the rich young man chose not to follow. God has elected to circumscribe His own omnipotence with our free will. And each of us can say either yes! or no! to God when He calls. Just as the rich young man turned away because he thought it was too much of a sacrifice to “give up all that he possessed,” so James and John might have protested that they could not leave their father. Or Peter and Andrew explained that they were not suited for the life of itinerant preaching.
Your yes! or your no! are yours, Mary. I am not going to make your decisions for you now, be sure. And if we do receive you to enter, I am not going to make them for you later on, either. I’ll pray for you, help you, answer your questions, and love you. But your life is your own. Our possible receiving of you now to enter or later to become a novice and then a professed junior sister and finally a perpetually vowed nun would amount only to agreeing with a decision you would already have made. Sometimes I have to disagree with the decision a girl makes. Some have wanted to enter, but I could not agree that they were called to our way of life. A few others I have felt were called, but they could not bring themselves to a firm decision. And I was not about to make it for them.
Without doubt, some people are asking you questions, too. Why you? Why waste your life in the cloister? Why bury your talents? Are others worrying that you won’t “be fulfilled?” I touched on that above; and it does make me smile, Mary. The saints were the most fulfilled persons in history. Imagine St. Francis or St. Clare worrying about whether their personalities were being fulfilled! I can hear you laugh. And I love the sound of it!
Ours is no easy life, Mary. But for one who is called to it, it is a marvelously rewarding life. Take it from one who knows. And you impress me as a girl wanting a challenge, not an easy chair. We can offer you a poor little room, plain food, long hours and no vacations. There is no TV. There is air-conditioning if the wind blows. And I am serious even as I smile.
So, Mary, pray and ponder yet a while. If Christ is looking at you and saying: “Come, follow me into the cloister,” you can always look away; but you cannot pretend that you don’t feel His eyes upon you. May you lock eyes with Him, Mary. God bless you.
Devotedly yours in Jesus and Mary,
Mother Abbess
[right]- Mother Mary Francis, PCC[/right]

OnlySunshine

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1343893695' post='2461502']
Wanted to post this beautiful letter from the Los Altos site:

An Open Letter to a Young Woman on the Threshold of the Cloister
Dear Mary,
So now you have taken all the preliminary steps toward answering those insistent questions in your heart. Is God calling you to a life of worshipful love in the cloister? Are you invited to be a Franciscan penitent giving to all the people of God an example of joyous penitence, as Vatican II described the life of contemplative nuns in its document on religious life? Are you finding yourself drawn to make the same conclusion that Saint Therese of Lisieux did regarding the service of all mankind: “In the heart of my Mother the Church, I will be love!”?
You want to know – [i]for sure[/i], you say. I can appreciate that. But, Mary, remember that what we really want to be sure about is less exactly where we are going or exactly how we are going to get there than who it is we are following. I am thinking about the Scriptural response to vocation.
If you read Matthew 4:18-20, you will see that vocation and response are quite a bit more starkly simple than some counselors would have it. Peter and Andrew were busy and successful fishermen. They were educated and equipped to catch fish. They seemed happy enough. But then Christ walked along the shore – of the lake and of their hearts. And He looked at them. They looked back. He said: “Follow me.” They got up and followed Him. You will notice that they did not say: “Follow you, where?” Nor: “We are fishermen, not preachers.” Not: “What are your plans, and how is everything going to turn out?” Still less did they question Him about how their personalities were going to be fulfilled if they followed Him.
You see, Mary, when you really are looking at Christ, you do not think about questions like that. Not anymore than a girl in love with the man who is making her a proposal of marriage replies with considerations about life insurance policies and color TVs, or tells him that he is very attractive but she does not want to leave home. His love will be her fulfillment. Any woman knows that to be chosen and cherished is her best security. And you strike me as a live young woman.
And do read Matthew 9:9. Here is the classicism of a Greek drama but with the briefest script ever written. It takes one verse of Scripture to describe one of the most dramatic calls and responses ever known. When you experience that feeling of “Oh, it could never be for [i]me![/i]“, remember that it is not just likely that many of us would have selected a tax collector as a bright prospect for Jesus’ first novitiate. You know, Mary, Matthew was living a comfortable life. His job was specifically lucrative. Security. Ease. Does it strike you that Matthew does not say a single word about all that he is giving up to follow Christ, that he doesn’t even heave a single sigh?
It saddens me when a girl talks just too much about what she might have to give up. Again, I say, that is not the language of love. And following Christ is a matter of love. When you are in love, you want only to be with the loved one and share whatever lot is his. If I am back to love again, it is because that is the whole explanation of what is stirring in your heart. Oh, yes, there is pain in partings, pinch of material surrenders, but that is merely incidental to the wonder of being loved. We do not love our parents less for leaving them to enter the cloister any more than a bride of man does in leaving her family perhaps to live at the other end of the world because that is where her husband is. “For this cause a man shall leave father and mother and cling to his wife,” we are reminded in Genesis concerning earthly marriage. And to cling to God if He calls us into His cloistering love, we have to do the same. In Matthew 4:21-22, we are notified that James and John got up and “left their father and their nets.” Family, present concerns. Christ had looked at them. And they looked back. They got up and followed Him. That’s what a religious vocation is, Mary.
But, back to Matthew himself. He knew better than some of us do, what is an appopriate response to being called by Christ to follow Him in a highly specialized and demanding way of life. He didn’t grumble. He celebrated. He arranged a party. (Mt 9:10)
Do I hear you saying: “But they [i]knew[/i] they were called. Our Lord stood right there and looked at them.” Yes, He did, Mary. But there is no guarantee that those He looks at will respond to His summons. Like any normal girl, you would like Christ to stand right in front of you and say: “Follow me into the cloister. I [i]am[/i] inviting you, – I myself.” You think there would be no possibility of a mistake then.
Do you remember the rich young man? (Mk 10:17-23)
He had just what you muse on. Christ stood there, physically, before the boy. It was Jesus’ own human voice that said: “Come follow me.” No doubt about that vocation. But the rich young man chose not to follow. God has elected to circumscribe His own omnipotence with our free will. And each of us can say either yes! or no! to God when He calls. Just as the rich young man turned away because he thought it was too much of a sacrifice to “give up all that he possessed,” so James and John might have protested that they could not leave their father. Or Peter and Andrew explained that they were not suited for the life of itinerant preaching.
Your yes! or your no! are yours, Mary. I am not going to make your decisions for you now, be sure. And if we do receive you to enter, I am not going to make them for you later on, either. I’ll pray for you, help you, answer your questions, and love you. But your life is your own. Our possible receiving of you now to enter or later to become a novice and then a professed junior sister and finally a perpetually vowed nun would amount only to agreeing with a decision you would already have made. Sometimes I have to disagree with the decision a girl makes. Some have wanted to enter, but I could not agree that they were called to our way of life. A few others I have felt were called, but they could not bring themselves to a firm decision. And I was not about to make it for them.
Without doubt, some people are asking you questions, too. Why you? Why waste your life in the cloister? Why bury your talents? Are others worrying that you won’t “be fulfilled?” I touched on that above; and it does make me smile, Mary. The saints were the most fulfilled persons in history. Imagine St. Francis or St. Clare worrying about whether their personalities were being fulfilled! I can hear you laugh. And I love the sound of it!
Ours is no easy life, Mary. But for one who is called to it, it is a marvelously rewarding life. Take it from one who knows. And you impress me as a girl wanting a challenge, not an easy chair. We can offer you a poor little room, plain food, long hours and no vacations. There is no TV. There is air-conditioning if the wind blows. And I am serious even as I smile.
So, Mary, pray and ponder yet a while. If Christ is looking at you and saying: “Come, follow me into the cloister,” you can always look away; but you cannot pretend that you don’t feel His eyes upon you. May you lock eyes with Him, Mary. God bless you.
Devotedly yours in Jesus and Mary,
Mother Abbess
[right]- Mother Mary Francis, PCC[/right]
[/quote]

I remember when I first read this early in my discernment -- when I thought I was called to the cloister. I think it was right after I read "A Right to Be Merry" and wanted to know more about Mother Mary Francis. This letter is beautiful and such an eye opener! :)

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1343895713' post='2461505']
I remember when I first read this early in my discernment -- when I thought I was called to the cloister. I think it was right after I read "A Right to Be Merry" and wanted to know more about Mother Mary Francis. This letter is beautiful and such an eye opener! :)
[/quote]

It is a beautiful letter, and I think it still applies to active or missionary life as well. Don't they have a wonderful website?

OnlySunshine

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1343948000' post='2461736']
It is a beautiful letter, and I think it still applies to active or missionary life as well. Don't they have a wonderful website?
[/quote]

Yes, and if I thought that I was called to the cloistered life, I would definitely discern with them. Their life is so attractive, but I know I will do better as an active/contemplative because I need that balance. :)

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1343962044' post='2461822']
Yes, and if I thought that I was called to the cloistered life, I would definitely discern with them. Their life is so attractive, but I know I will do better as an active/contemplative because I need that balance. :)
[/quote]
Definitely! The active and contemplative life complement each other so well. A vocation to the shared life of both is such a gift.

Chiara Francesco

This letter from a father of a PCC was posted on PM a long while back but there it is again:

http://www.wf-f.org/03-2-PoorClares.html

(The monastery mentioned, [font="Times New Roman, Times, Arial"][size="3"]Poor Clares in Newport News, Virginia, is now Barhamsville PCCs, they moved a few years ago - in case anyone thought there was another PCC monastery in VA.)[/size][/font]

[font="Times New Roman, Times, Arial"][size="3"]Not sure if this young woman persevered, please God she did, but if not the letter is a wonderful and informative one on PCC life anyway and an attitude parent's should strive to have.[/size][/font]

Strictlyinkblot

I really enjoyed reading the letter but I think the screen in the visiting room must be even harder to deal with then the grille. At least with the grille you can touch your relatives. And very limited contact with letters. It must be a very special kind of vocation to have that much isolation from your family.

Strictly: The Roswell Poor Clares have a 'swirly' grill and a screen. Diagram below. They may only use the grill for visits from bishops, etc and not family visits. It is definitely hard on the family....especially since the screen makes the person look a little 'fuzzy.'

[b][u]GRILL AREA____ [/u][/b]
[b]PARLOR FOR |SCREEN/WHERE[/b]
[b]___[u]VISITORS[/u]____|NUNS SIT[/b]

Chiara Francesco

The foundation made from Roswell in Einhoven has that screen too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYmi3Ut4LEc&feature=related

Rockford, Minooka and Cleveland (and maybe others) use the grilles in parlor and chapel. The screen is strange looking but much better than having NO barrier and just the counter.

Pax_et bonum

The PCCs in Kokomo have a screen as well. There's a small gap below the screen where one can pass things but they've got to be pretty thin. The newly enclosed Poor Sisters of St. Clare have a grille. It's light blue with columns that looks like they have vines growing up them. Fr. David Mary told us when he was giving us a tour that they made the gaps big enough so the sisters could reach their arms through to hug their families.

ETA: When the Newport News PCCs moved to Barhamsville, they switched to a grille.
[img]http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/264320_2189726108554_1594948_n.jpg[/img]

Edited by Pax_et bonum

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1344482257' post='2464844']
Strictly: The Roswell Poor Clares have a 'swirly' grill and a screen. Diagram below. They may only use the grill for visits from bishops, etc and not family visits. It is definitely hard on the family....especially since the screen makes the person look a little 'fuzzy.'

[b][u]GRILL AREA____ [/u][/b]
[b]PARLOR FOR |SCREEN/WHERE[/b]
[b]___[u]VISITORS[/u]____|NUNS SIT[/b]
[/quote]

How do you feel about the screen? Does it bother you at all?
How "heavy" is the screen? Is it like in the Eindhoven community, or is it more opaque?

Sorry about all the questions, I'm just curious.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1344553504' post='2465224']
How do you feel about the screen? Does it bother you at all?
How "heavy" is the screen? Is it like in the Eindhoven community, or is it more opaque?

Sorry about all the questions, I'm just curious.
[/quote]

whoops! I am so sorry that I forgot to answer this.

I am fine with the screen, and prefer it over the swirly grill. I think the kind of grill the nuns have make it distracting to try to focus on the person on the other side of it. The screen is not very thick and just opaque enough so that you recognize that it is there, so I suppose it is like Eindhoven's. The only scary thing about the screen is no physical contact-you could wedge a hug-like motion through the grill, but the screen does not allow for any kind of touch. Very sad for some people I suppose, but my family are not big huggers, except me and my little sister. However, I think this "Oh we don't hug much anyway" vibe will be long forgotten when my family and I see each other only 3 times a year! I think we will be bemoaning the loss of physical contact at that point.