An Old School Catholic Message Board

Incest And Adam+Eve

Ice_nine

So OK it always bothered me that the creation story basically required incest to propagate the human race. I was hoping to find an answer that assured me there was some loophole or something that I could stomach.

What I found thru cursory research is that, inter-marriage in the direct line (child parent grandparent, perhaps also aunts/uncles?) is always inherently wrong but inter-marriage thru the collateral line (siblings cousins etc) is NOT.

Is this fo real? Because I think it's really effed up that marrying your brother or sister (cousins I can understand as many cultures don't have a taboo on it) can be oki dokies.

I also understand that the catholic position is that Adam and Eve were real historical people and we can't take the figurative route.

Someone halp me understand.

I heard a good answer to this a long time ago, but I can't remember much. But what I took away was that God allowed it as a necessity for them to be fruitful and multiply, though never with parent/child.

Thinking about it, you can ask the same question about Noah's family after the flood.

The Church does affirm that they were real, historical people in the sense that the race of man is decedent from one man and one woman. I would add, of course, that she does not specify how exactly they came about, as both evolution and Creationism can be compatible with the Faith.

Sibling marriage would have been allowed for the propagation of man because there weren't really any other options... But as the population developed, there arose standards saying that, since we now had the option, we should opt for those to whom we were not too closely related because it would lead to a healthier human race. That's just the reality of how mankind developed.

Sibling incest is forbidden by the Church now, of course. I think the rule on that subject is that you can marry your second cousin. But that was only recently allowed, in the 1980s.

Edit: And as you said, some cultures have first cousin marriages, which it seems the Church can allow special dispensations for.

Edited by Hubertus

I often think of Adam as an early man who evolved to the point that he became self-aware, and God reached out his hand and breathed a soul into him. That would mean he and his children would have access to other individuals to breed with besides siblings.

I remember in one Bible study class there was a discussion on our early parents where Cain was banished to the East (or something like that) and the deacon who was leading it said that it was the same reference as where Hagar went with her son.

So basically what I'm trying to say is that though the story of Adam and Eve is real, it is not indicative that they were the only couple. I'll look up my notes and try to answer in detail.

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1330205946' post='2392993']
I remember in one Bible study class there was a discussion on our early parents where Cain was banished to the East (or something like that) and the deacon who was leading it said that it was the same reference as where Hagar went with her son.

So basically what I'm trying to say is that though the story of Adam and Eve is real, it is not indicative that they were the only couple. I'll look up my notes and try to answer in detail.
[/quote] I might be jumping the gun here, but are you referring to polygenism? Church teaching is that polygenism is not true, that there originally was only one couple from which the rest of mankind has descended. Pope Pius XII spoke about this in his encyclical [i]Humani generis:[/i]

[quote]When, however, there is question of another conjectural opinion, namely polygenism, the children of the Church by no means enjoy such liberty. For the faithful cannot embrace that opinion which maintains that either after Adam there existed on this earth true men who did not take their origin through natural generation from him as from the first parent of all, or that Adam represents a certain number of first parents. Now it is no way apparent how such an opinion can be reconciled with that which the sources of revealed truth and the documents of the Teaching Authority of the Church.[/quote]
(quote of the encyclical taken from Wikipedia)

In the past I did similarly think that there must have been more people than Adam and Eve though, and was only recently informed of all this in a Bible study that I'm in. But it makes sense because, if you believe there was more than one couple, a lot of questions arise with that. Did the others have souls? If so, were they inclined to sin? Did they have salvation? etc.

Edited by Hubertus

He was using Gen 4: 14-16 as a reference. Now of course we know that Adam and Eve were the first. However, when we were discussing future generations and the possibility of incest he brought that up. So somewhere between the first couple and their kids, there were others. Verse 16 says Cain went to the land of Nod

The explanatory notes in my Ignatius bible says as of the story of Cain and Abel we are not in the first ages of humanity.

I gotta keep looking for more info regarding the questions you pose.

Edited by HopefulBride

My perception is that the Biblical account skips a few details in the first few verses of Chapter 4.

[quote]1 The man had intercourse with his wife Eve, and she conceived and gave birth to Cain, saying, “I have produced a male child with the help of the LORD.”
2 Next she gave birth to his brother Abel. Abel became a herder of flocks, and Cain a tiller of the ground.
3 In the course of time Cain brought an offering to the LORD from the fruit of the ground, . . .[/quote] It speaks specifically of Cain and Abel, but uses vague enough language so as to not rule out the possibility that Adam and Eve did have other children before the Cain and Abel story occurred. Verse 15 says, "'If anyone kills Cain, Cain shall be avenged seven times.' So the LORD put a mark on Cain, so that no one would kill him at sight." I think it is referring to other children of Adam and Eve, so Cain's siblings.

This is making me really want some Raisin' Cane's... Haha

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1330208040' post='2393008']
He was using Gen 4: 14-16 as a reference. Now of course we know that Adam and Eve were the first. However, when we were discussing future generations and the possibility of incest he brought that up. So somewhere between the first couple and their kids, there were others. Verse 16 says Cain went to the land of Nod

The explanatory notes in my Ignatius bible says as of the story of Cain and Abel we are not in the first ages of humanity.

I gotta keep looking for more info regarding the questions you pose.
[/quote]

I could think this but is this compatible with monogenism? I don't think it is.

Wow, I just read this blog post on evolution and the Creation story and it was pretty interesting. My previous statements don't really hold up to this, but it is compatible with what Pope Pius XII said, from what I can tell.
[url="http://tofspot.blogspot.com/2011/09/adam-and-eve-and-ted-and-alice.html"]http://tofspot.blogs...-and-alice.html[/url]

In this sense I suppose you could believe that Adam and Eve's children did not necessarily perform incest. I don't really like how it treats the soul as just a genetic mutation, though.

And of course, this is if you believe in evolution. ;)

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1330205046' post='2392980']
I often think of Adam as an early man who evolved to the point that he became self-aware, and God reached out his hand and breathed a soul into him. That would mean he and his children would have access to other individuals to breed with besides siblings.
[/quote]
I think there was a discussion on this theory a while back. If we are going to follow the 'God created science that created', then we have to take into account that inbreeding results in degeneration which is possibly part of the reason that incest is wrong not just from a moral point of view. In the OT the Israelites were referred to as the people of God. Later Jesus commanded to the apostles to go forth and spread the good news to all nations. Adam and Eve were possibly the first people of God having souls. Their off spring may have interbred with existing humanoids. Apes existed so why not simple humans? The off spring of these would inherit souls and knowledge of good and evil just as genetic characteristics spread.
[quote name='Ice_nine' timestamp='1330201213' post='2392952']

I also understand that the catholic position is that Adam and Eve were real historical people and we can't take the figurative route.

Someone halp me understand.
[/quote]
The Church is not, nor does it claim infallibility on all teachings. I would think such things should generally be considered speculation, having little bearing on the Churches mission.

Mark of the Cross

This is my great 40 squared uncle [img]http://www.movievillains.com/images/thade.jpg[/img]

Edited by Mark of the Cross

this was from a while ago
my crazy, personal idea is on the first page I think

http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/115196-adam-eve/

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='sixpence' timestamp='1330384079' post='2393769']
this was from a while ago
my crazy, personal idea is on the first page I think

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/115196-adam-eve/"]http://www.phatmass....15196-adam-eve/[/url]
[/quote]
Memory lane...

Hub, I recall reading that TOF Spot blog post when it was new and I wasn't in enthusiastic agreement with it either; but I think for different reasons. I really should reread it before commenting beyond that.