An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Benedictine Daughters Of Divine Will

Feankie

HopefulBride

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1331780606' post='2400927']
What's a sabbatical?
[/quote]

It's the religious version of one's leave of absence...

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1331781881' post='2400942']

It's the religious version of one's leave of absence...
[/quote]

Why did this Holy See ask this of them?

HopefulBride

It could be because they were expressing what they thought was a new charism. Some orders (like the OPs, O.CArm, and the PCPAs) must go to the Holy See to be dispensed of their vows (after solemn profession of vows that is) so if these two sisters felt called in a different way which would mean no longer living in community with their other sisters as they had vowed to do then they need to go to the Holy See. And it's possible the two years Sabbatical was to give them more time in discernment and prayer so as to really discern the Lord's will for them. It sounds like after the two years whatever direction they wanted to go was confirmed. One sister was dispensed of her vows while the other was allowed to remain a PCPA but live as a hermit.

Now the SMMCs for example and other Diocesan communities like them would just need to go through the local bishop who they serve under. That's where the difference between solemn and perpetual vows come into play.

Sorry about all the rambling, hope it all made sense.

Edited because Sr. Mary Catharine explains the diff. between the two types of vows very well [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/67897-nuns-picture-thread/page__st__160"]here[/url] and i wanted to add it... (the link is also below)

http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/67897-nuns-picture-thread/page__st__160

Edited by HopefulBride

Chiming in on something I'm not really familiar with... but why would God supposedly change his mind and uproot people from the monastery/order they've committed themselves to for life? I read on here that the RC Church doesn't consider a vocation fully 'realised' until solemn vows anyway. Why is it possible to just be dispensed of these if you 'feel called' to do something else?

In our understanding (obvs may not be the RC one) once you're done, you're done for life, and you can't ever stop being a nun even if you run away and shack up with a man and have babies. That's why it takes such a long time to get to the point of no return. But then I guess we aren't restricted to particular orders, 'charisms' etc., so where there is a certain amount of moving around after vows (though rare) it might not cause the disruption that it would in a RC context. (It's probably just a matter of moving house and getting used to a different schedule, rather than new habit, new materials to study, new saints, new 'spirituality' etc.) Does that make sense? I'm not trying to criticise anyone here, I'd really just be interested to know more about the attitude towards solemn vows and the 'new charisms' that individuals come up with.

Edited by marigold

HopefulBride

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1331806291' post='2401029']
Chiming in on something I'm not really familiar with... but why would God supposedly change his mind and uproot people from the monastery/order they've committed themselves to for life? I read on here that the RC Church doesn't consider a vocation fully 'realised' until solemn vows anyway. Why is it possible to just be dispensed of these if you 'feel called' to do something else?

In our understanding (obvs may not be the RC one) once you're done, you're done for life, and you can't ever stop being a nun even if you run away and shack up with a man and have babies. That's why it takes such a long time to get to the point of no return. But then I guess we aren't restricted to particular orders, 'charisms' etc., so where there is a certain amount of moving around after vows (though rare) it might not cause the disruption that it would in a RC context. (It's probably just a matter of moving house and getting used to a different schedule, rather than new habit, new materials to study, new saints, new 'spirituality' etc.) Does that make sense? I'm not trying to criticise anyone here, I'd really just be interested to know more about the attitude towards solemn vows and the 'new charisms' that individuals come up with.
[/quote]

Those sisters in solemn vows can never be dispensed of their vows (I guess I didn't explain fully, which is why I linked to Sr. Mary Catharine's explanation) even the Holy See cannot dispense them of the obligations (only the vows of the community) For example an OP sisters who vows poverty, Chastity and Obedience as lived by say the OPs of Saint Cecilia can ask to be dispensed of her vows so that she can live them out as a Sister of Life vows of Poverty, Chastity, Obedience and the Protection of life as lived out by the SVs. However, if you feel called to serve as a nun in a different capacity, that's where they come in. For example, the sister who started the SSEWs was an OP, I don't know if she was ever dispensed of her vows but if she is now an SSEW then she is no longer an OP and was dispensed of her vows as an OP so that she could take vows as a SSEW. Take Mother Teresa, she started the MCs while still a sister of Loreto, as a matter of fact I believe she went on sabbatical to discern the[i] call within a call[/i] that was given to her by Our Lord. She didn't not take vows as an MC until later on. Many sisters, Priests find that they receive a call within a call and while still remaining true to their vows as a religious, they continue on to discern whatever further call they have received. The CFRs was started by Fr. Groeschel and a couple of other priests/brothers while they were still under vows from another community, it wasn't until later that they took vows as CFRs.

I hope this makes sense, the two sisters are still consecrated to the Lord. It's just that Mother Gabrielle is now serving in a different capacity and I'm sure after years of discernment it was confirmed by her SD and the new bishop she serves under.

I hope I didn't muddy things up even more.

Edited by HopefulBride

How nice to see you! ::waves::

Edit: Please ignore everything else I said; I was wrong. See [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/67897-nuns-picture-thread/page__st__160"]Sr. Mary Catherine[/url] instead.

Edited by mme_hardy

HopefulBride

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1331818263' post='2401075']
So the vows get re-attached to a different community?
[/quote]

Yes, she will continue to live out a life of chastity, poverty and obedience but in whatever way being a Benedictine Daughter of Divine Will calls her to live out those vows. Obedience in one community may not be the same as another just like poverty in community x might not be lived out the same way it is lived out in community y. Does that make sense to you or is it only making sense in my head?

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1331869470' post='2401683']
Yes, she will continue to live out a life of chastity, poverty and obedience but in whatever way being a Benedictine Daughter of Divine Will calls her to live out those vows. Obedience in one community may not be the same as another just like poverty in community x might not be lived out the same way it is lived out in community y. Does that make sense to you or is it only making sense in my head?
[/quote]

No it makes sense in my head too :) I believe we are basically arriving at the same conclusion from slightly different routes! Thanks for taking the time to explain. :love:

Lilllabettt

Ummmm I'm pretty sure the obligations attached to solemn vows can be dispensed. Unless I've been terribly misguided by my teachers -- I believe the mainstream theology of vows says that obligations of ALL kinds of vows can be dispensed.

Just from practical experience ... certainly there are people in history who began their adult lives as solemnly professed friars, monks and nuns, and ended them as married people with children - remaining faithful Catholics all the while. Obviously it is not a thing lightly done, but it is done.

Edited by Lilllabettt

The Catholic Encyclopedia has a good article on [url="http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/15511a.htm"]vows[/url].

Solemn vows are more difficult to be dispensed from than simple vows. Certainly it is reserved to the Holy See. But they are not "indispensable."

This contrasts with marriage vows which confer a sacrament and which therefore (provided the conditions are right) are indissoluble.

maximillion

I Professed Solomn Vows and was released from them by the Holy See in the 80's. It is a long process ( or it was for me) an not one to be undertaken lightly, if at all. Only the fact that it was clear to me and to others at that time that the community was failing and was to be suppressed lead me to this, and this was a factor in granting my dispensation from Vows.
In my heart I have kept those vows, living within the means He has given, obedient to the Church and to His Will in my life, and as chaste as I ever was in the monastery.

• 5 years later...
Saintclare2009

I was saddened to hear that mother Mary Catherine left mother angelica's order. Mother must have been sad about that. But if god leads you to another convent, if it's his will, that's all that matters. I was surprised to hear about it though. Who could refuse Italy! Such a beautiful and peaceful place. :)

The story of Sister Mary Catherine - now Mother Gabrielle - can be found in Raymond Arroyo's latest book about Mother Angelica.  It was the decision by the Vatican that both the newly elected and the former Vicar go on sabbatical.  It was not Mother Angelica's doing.  The order Mother Gabrielle founded seems to be doing relatively well in Italy for being in existence for short a short time - 6 or 7 Sisters in Italy and 1 in the U.S. There are Sisters who were with the PCPA's in Hanceville and left to go to Italy as well.  If you go to their website you'll notice they took off any age restrictions and admit candidates on a case by case basis with pretty much no formal requirements.  We have no requirements and ask for no dowries from those interested in entering our community.  Tell us a little about yourself in the comment box and we'll get to know one another through email first.  Then, if the Holy Spirit continues to guide you toward a religious vocation with us, a few Skype and/or telephone calls would follow.  Lastly, before a final decision is made, each aspirant must visit our convent in Italy for 1-3 months to see if she truly feels at home and at peace living the life of a Benedictine Daughter.