An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Benedictine Daughters Of Divine Will

Feankie

Saintclare2009

Franciscan to Benedictine ? What's next,:  the Dominican order? Oh my! As my parents say: that's a bad sign! ( Not to judge) but it's confusing. Stability from one convent to another is a huge red flag! Something doesn't seem right.

I forgot to thank you Francis Clare for your input. ( My intention is to never be rude) I have watched mother Angelica and still do! I knew she would never ask someone to leave, unless they were breaking convent rules. I visited the monastery several years ago, mother commented how pretty I was.... which was a compliment because she says what's on her mind... I love that. But honestly... I met many of the sisters on retreat and I have to tell you sister Joanna was very sweet and her beauty was striking. I'll never forget mother and I tell my friends often that I'm so happy I had the chance to meet her. She was such a holy person. Thanks again and take care! God bless. :)

Well, this is a totally new religious order that has absolutely nothing to do with the PCPA's. Mother Gabrielle, along with several other PCPA's, were good friends with the late Fr. Jaques Daly , (a very well known Benedictine priest who I once had the honor of having as a professor) who frequently visited Hanceville to provide instruction and spiritual direction..  After a hotly contested and bitter election for Mother Vicrar, both candidates (Sr. Mary Catherine and Sr  Margaret Mary - or perhaps I have her names reversed) were  ordered to take a sabattical by Rome. The newly elected Vicar, Sr. Margaret Mary  (who singlehandedly managed to send most of the postulants and novices home as soon as she took office as she personally thought they had no vocations)  left  and is currently  living as a Carmelite hermit.  Hence the appearance of the Sr. from another order to clean house and get things back on track and run the Order until a new Reverend Mother could be named - which turned out to be Mother Dolores Marie previously from St. Joseph's Adoration Monastery in Charlotte, N.C.  All the nuns living there were called back to Hanceville as well.

St. Mary Catherine (now known as Mother Gabrielle) was encouraged by Fr. Daly during her sabbatical year to learn Italain and think and pray about beginning a new religious order in Italy with an emphasis on the teachings of Luisa Piccarretta (sp) and the Divine Will --- hence the name.

I don't know how long ago you visited Hanceville, but Mother Angelica (RIP) has been dead for about 1 1/2 years now and was completely unable to speak and was bedridden for a few years prior to her death.

Sr. Joanna was one of the Phoenix Phive (as a junior professed) who went to Arizona to establish Our Lady of Solitude Monastery.  She discerned out several years ago, unless we're talking about a different St. Johanna (sp).

Saintclare2009

Hope Francis Clare, I was there to visit on retreat shortly before mother Angelica's stroke I believe. So it was a while back. They had a lot of sisters back then. Most were cloistered, but they had about 6 externs I think. I met sister Jacinta, and sister st John, I think it was, her sister was sister Esther, who then was one of the externs. The monastery was absolutely beautiful! I'm very happy, I went on retreat there. It's funny because I was there on st Clare's feast day.... the sister Joanna I'm talking about was there in Alabama at the time, when it was time to say the rosary, ( I was discerning then) she saved a seat for me... I was very young then, I remember being in awe, of how holy the monastery was. One elderly nun, I don't remember her name she was Italian and I think had an accent and I was talking with her as well. I'll never forget my retreat there. :)

If you read Raymond Arroyo's book: Mother Angelica Her Grand Silence: The Last Years and Living Legacy, it will help you understand what went on. Mother told Raymond she wanted people to understand what happened, but to wait to have this particular book released until after her death. There are some fascinating things in the book but most of all realize that nuns/sisters are people, too. Raymond has other books on Mother as well. He was very close to her.