Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:31 AM

Stop the LRA

#2 Jesus_lol

Jesus_lol

Shouldn't be confused for a Catholic.

• Cordial Non-Catholic
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:34 AM

This video is great, it brings light to a person that needs it shone on them and his victims that need help. but there are a lot of concerns over the organization that made this being a fraud.

the support for the ugandan government was disquieting for me, as if they were anything other than a terrible government run by a tyrannical dictator. If they can catch and bring Kony to justice thats great but i dont plan on supporting them.

#3 Aloysius

Aloysius

it is a Divine purpose that rules and not fate.

• Mediator of Meh
  • 22,488 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:40 PM

This video is great, it brings light to a person that needs it shone on them and his victims that need help. but there are a lot of concerns over the organization that made this being a fraud.

the support for the ugandan government was disquieting for me, as if they were anything other than a terrible government run by a tyrannical dictator. If they can catch and bring Kony to justice thats great but i dont plan on supporting them.

Indeed, as is often the case in these matters, Kony is bad but so is the Ugandan government... almost every case of interventionism is like this; yes, you must concede that the one side is bad, but that doesn't mean the other side is good.

still, I prefer interventionism that is taken on real humanitarian impetus to the other kind of entanglements we've been getting into. hope they get the thug. heck, even World War II was like that, the Nazis were terrible but the Soviets were just as bad, if not worse.

Edited by Aloysius, 07 March 2012 - 01:40 PM.

#4 Basilisa Marie

Basilisa Marie

Twitchy twitcha twitcha twitch

• Church Militant
  • 3,911 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:49 PM

This is from the daily what, a not so amesome web blog but its article about this offers a different perspective, and I think it's important to help see the whole picture.

On Kony 2012: I honestly wanted to stay as far away as possible from KONY 2012, the latest fauxtivist fad sweeping the web (remember “change your Facebook profile pic to stop child abuse”?), but you clearly won’t stop sending me that darn video until I say something about it, so here goes:
Stop sending me that video.

The organization behind Kony 2012 — Invisible Children Inc. — is an extremely shady nonprofit that has been called ”misleading,” “naive,” and “dangerous” by a Yale political science professor, and has been accused by Foreign Affairs of “manipulat[ing] facts for strategic purposes.” They have also been criticized by the Better Business Bureau for refusing to provide information necessary to determine if IC meets the Bureau’s standards.

Additionally, IC has a low two-star rating in accountability from Charity Navigator because they won’t let their financials be independently audited. That’s not a good thing. In fact, it’s a very bad thing, and should make you immediately pause and reflect on where the money you’re sending them is going.

By IC’s own admission, only 31% of all the funds they receive go toward actually helping anyone [pdf]. The rest go to line the pockets of the three people in charge of the organization, to pay for their travel expenses (over $1 million in the last year alone) and to fund their filmmaking business (also over a million) — which is quite an effective way to make more money, as clearly illustrated by the fact that so many can’t seem to stop forwarding their well-engineered emotional blackmail to everyone they’ve ever known.

And as far as what they do with that money:

The group is in favour of direct military intervention, and their money supports the Ugandan government’s army and various other military forces. Here’s a photo of the founders of Invisible Children posing with weapons and personnel of the Sudan People’s Liberation Army. Both the Ugandan army and Sudan People’s Liberation Army are riddled with accusations of rape and looting, but Invisible Children defends them, arguing that the Ugandan army is “better equipped than that of any of the other affected countries”, although Kony is no longer active in Uganda and hasn’t been since 2006 by their own admission. These books each refer to the rape and sexual assault that are perennial issues with the UPDF, the military group Invisible Children is defending.

Let’s not get our lines crossed: The Lord’s Resistance Army is bad news. And Joseph Kony is a very bad man, and needs to be stopped. But propping up Uganda’s decades-old dictatorship and its military arm, which has been accused by the UN of committing unspeakable atrocitiesand itself facilitated the recruitment of child soldiers, is not the way to go about it.

The United States is already plenty involved in helping rout Kony and his band of psycho sycophants. Kony is on the run, having been pushed out of Uganda, and it’s likely he will soon be caught, if he isn’t already dead. But killing Kony won’t fix anything, just as killing Osama bin Laden didn’t end terrorism. The LRA might collapse, but, as Foreign Affairs points out, it is “a relatively small player in all of this — as much a symptom as a cause of the endemic violence.”

Myopically placing the blame for all of central Africa’s woes on Kony —even as a starting point — will only imperil many more people than are already in danger.

Sending money to a nonprofit that wants to muck things up by dousing the flames with fuel is not helping. Want to help? Really want to help? Send your money to nonprofits that are putting more than 31% toward rebuilding the region’s medical and educational infrastructure, so that former child soldiers have something worth coming home to.

Here are just a few of those charities. They all have a sparkling four-star rating from Charity Navigator, and, more importantly, no interest in airdropping American troops armed to the teeth into the middle of a multi-nation tribal war to help one madman catch another.

The bottom line is, research your causes thoroughly. Don’t just forward a random video to a stranger because a mass murderer makes a five-year-old “sad.” Learn a little bit about the complexities of the region’s ongoing strife before advocating for direct military intervention.

There is no black and white in the world. And going about solving important problems like there is just serves to make all those equally troubling shades of gray invisible.

#5 Katiebobatie94

Katiebobatie94

PM Peep

• Chummy Commoner
  • 285 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:04 PM

Something NEEDS to be done!

#6 marigold

marigold

PM Super Alien

• Chummy Commoner
  • 1,284 posts
  • Eastern Orthodox

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:38 PM

I just saw this film on a totally unrelated source, and I forwarded it to my sister who apparently had just seen it too. I hope it goes everywhere.

#7 Ice_nine

Ice_nine

PM Pham

• Church Militant
  • 2,116 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:01 PM

CRAZY DOPE POST, YO!

So is that how things work? We forward videos and sign e-petitions and pat ourselves on the back for "spreading awareness"

Not like I have a better idea. I just don't think it's working

#8 Jesus_lol

Jesus_lol

Shouldn't be confused for a Catholic.

• Cordial Non-Catholic
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:32 PM

Something NEEDS to be done!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MnpzG5Sqc

did you not see the first post? it was at the top of the page, and uploaded the same video as you just did already.

#9 Katiebobatie94

Katiebobatie94

PM Peep

• Chummy Commoner
  • 285 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:46 PM

did you not see the first post? it was at the top of the page, and uploaded the same video as you just did already.

uummm no i didnt i hit go to 1st unread post lol

#10 Tony

Tony

Corpus Christi

• Church Militant
  • 7,826 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:53 PM

I think someone merged two threads.

#11 Basilisa Marie

Basilisa Marie

• Church Militant
  • 3,911 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:04 PM

This is from the daily what, a not so amesome web blog but its article about this offers a different perspective, and I think it's important to help see the whole picture.

TLDR summary of my mini docu-dump, because I forgot no one pays attention to those on here:

This may not be the best idea ever, particularly because the three people that run Invisible Children have salaries of almost $90,000 each, and only 32% of all funds actually go towards helping people in Africa (schools, etc). Yes, it's important to stop Joseph Kony, but Uganda's government has also been doing terrible things to its people. The whole picture isn't quite as black and white as Invisible Children wants to make it.

#12 Lil Red

Lil Red

WINNING!

• Church Militant
  • 48,179 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:04 PM

I think someone merged two threads.

:like: yup :)
  • Tony gave this props

#13 Lil Red

Lil Red

WINNING!

• Church Militant
  • 48,179 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:05 PM

TLDR summary of my mini docu-dump, because I forgot no one pays attention to those on here:

This may not be the best idea ever, particularly because the three people that run Invisible Children have salaries of almost $90,000 each, and only 32% of all funds actually go towards helping people in Africa (schools, etc). Yes, it's important to stop Joseph Kony, but Uganda's government has also been doing terrible things to its people. The whole picture isn't quite as black and white as Invisible Children wants to make it.

thank you for the succinct sum-up. :)

#14 GeorgiiMichael

GeorgiiMichael

PM Super Alien

• n00b
  • 789 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:52 PM

Kony isn't the only problem either.

Don't let your emotions take you for a ride.

#15 Tony

Tony

Corpus Christi

• Church Militant
  • 7,826 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:46 AM

some interesting points

Edited by Tony, 08 March 2012 - 12:47 AM.

#16 Basilisa Marie

Basilisa Marie

• Church Militant
  • 3,911 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:23 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEdMw3jvlsY&feature=g-all-u&context=G2cc2207FAAAAAAAABAA

some interesting points

Eh, not really. What it comes down to is a bunch of white rich kids feeling good about raising awareness. Now, it's GOOD if rich white kids can use their privileges that they've been given in life to shed light on these important problems. That's what celebrities often do, and that's also good. Joseph Kony IS and HAS done absolutely terrible things, and the world should be outraged. The point of the video is to get people to call their political representatives and tell them to continue supporting the pursuit of Kony, to not pull out the American advisory troops.

But you can't ignore that only 32% of all donations in 2010 to Invisible Children actually went to creating a better world for these kids, better education, building schools, medical supplies, etc. Only 32% actually went toward building a world for these kids to come home to. The top three people in Invisible Children each earn about $88,000 a year. This is in addition to all their filming equipment, publicity, and travel expenses - travel expenses that were about a million dollars in 2010.

We also can't ignore that Invisible Children has decided that Kony is the bad guy, and that the Ugandan Government are the good guys. There are pictures of the founders holding guns with the government's army. But in reality, it's not that simple. The Ugandan Government has also committed terrible crimes against its people, many of the same crimes Kony has committed. Kony's LRA isn't even IN Uganda anymore. Sure, that doesn't make it any better. But it makes the issue more complex, and maybe a bit bigger than IC portrays it. One of the big points of the video is the narrator breaking down the issue for his young son. But the thing is, we aren't five-year-olds. We're capable of recognizing that while these things are terrible and we should speak out against them, we should also do our own research, figure out who the best people are to do the most good, and do that.

Furthermore, the reality is that most people aren't actually going to do anything about this issue. They're going to post it on their facebooks or tumblrs or youtube accounts or whatever, but they won't DO ANYTHING like call their representatives. All they will do is "raise awareness," but raising awareness is absolutely meaningless unless you DO SOMETHING ELSE along with it.

I'm hating on it because it's important for people to know that Invisible Children isn't perfect - it doesn't manage its money well and it has its own biases. To their credit, they've never claimed to be perfect or to even really know what they're doing. Let this video spark the fire. That's a wonderful thing, and that seems to be what IC does best. But people need to do something to fan the flames. Give money to organizations that actually are trying to rebuild Jacob's country. Call your elected officials. Don't be satisfied with getting warm fuzzies from just posting it somewhere online, like so many people will do.

All I'm trying to say is that even though the idea - bringing down this terrible person - is a good one, we have to evaluate what the best course of action might be, and realize that Invisible Children probably isn't the best group to do it.

#17 Ice_nine

Ice_nine

PM Pham

• Church Militant
  • 2,116 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:08 AM

32589325u832 props

#18 Selah

Selah

Mom

• Chummy Commoner
  • 8,650 posts
  • Eastern Catholic

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:29 AM

So is that how things work? We forward videos and sign e-petitions and pat ourselves on the back for "spreading awareness"

Not like I have a better idea. I just don't think it's working

This.

#19 InPersonaChriste

InPersonaChriste

PM Super Alien

• Church Militant
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:48 AM

i wish life were simpler...

But i totally agree with Ice_nine, If we want to support something like this we should write to the government. I simply posted this video to raise some awareness. I dont want this to turn into an argument, before this video I didn't know who Joseph Kony was. And I am thankful that I know now.

#20 Lil Red

Lil Red

WINNING!

• Church Militant
  • 48,179 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:01 AM

here's another article:
http://jezebel.com/5...he-meme-du-jour

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users