An Old School Catholic Message Board

Jason Evert On The Differences Between Men And Women Concerning Music

PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest

Okay, you know what? I'm sick of this. All I was trying to do was be funny and do something that nobody would freak out about, but all I hear is "Headline news: men and women different!" I've had enough of this behavior towards me. Will you act this way when I am a Religious or a Priest (Or possibly both)? Because if not, my ordination/final vows cannot come soon enough.

Lilllabettt

Probably you should not expect being a priest/religious to get you better treatment from people. A lot of people will treat you worse.

Also, if you get to be a priest you will probably not spend much time preaching about how men and women may or may not have different tastes in music and what the meaning of that is. (Because there is none.)

My pastor gave a homily about gender differences today. It was about the different roles men and women play in the mystical body and what the meaning of that is (Because there is a lot.)

Lilllabettt

Another thing:
You quote Jason Evert describing little girls gasping and sighing over the Jonas Brothers.
I do not know any grown people, male or female, who behave that way.

Edited by Lilllabettt

I agree that maybe the sarcasm is unwarranted.. I like Jason Evert. I don't think his saying that boys and girls listen to different music means that he thinks it's important that they do. He was just using an example to support something else he was saying. Maybe it's not a perfect example, but one [i]would[/i] find it humorous if they saw a "manly man" strolling down the sidewalk singing, "G L A M.. O R.. O U S."

Edited by Hubertus

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1331507578' post='2399206']
Probably you should not expect being a priest/religious to get you better treatment from people. A lot of people will treat you worse.

Also, if you get to be a priest you will probably not spend much time preaching about how men and women may or may not have different tastes in music and what the meaning of that is. (Because there is none.)

My pastor gave a homily about gender differences today. It was about the different roles men and women play in the mystical body and what the meaning of that is (Because there is a lot.)
[/quote]

Did I say I planned to preach to the world about how women listen to Katy Perry and men listen to Iron Maiden? Of course not. I simply just wanted to chat with someone, because sometimes I feel a little bored or lonely. I'm sorry if this offends you.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1331509256' post='2399222']
not offended. amused.
[/quote]

But what are you amused at?

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1331506310' post='2399191'] Will you act this way when I am a Religious or a Priest (Or possibly both)? Because if not, my ordination/final vows cannot come soon enough.
[/quote]

I think it's obnoxious to pull the age card and I try not to do it to you. But here I go. When I was your age I was quite convinced that I'd be a Priest/religious too. Hence why I picked Jean Vianney for my confirmation saint. As you can see, that plan has not come to fruition. Something to consider before you demand respect for a position you have not yet attained.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1331512199' post='2399235']
I think it's obnoxious to pull the age card and I try not to do it to you. But here I go. When I was your age I was quite convinced that I'd be a Priest/religious too. Hence why I picked Jean Vianney for my confirmation saint. As you can see, that plan has not come to fruition. Something to consider before you demand respect for a position you have not yet attained.
[/quote]

I'm not demanding respect for a position. I'm asking if people will treat me differently because of my vocation.

I don't think what Jason Evert is pointing out has anything to do with musical tastes per se. I think the reason why girls like the Jonas Brothers is because of their "sex appeal," so-to-speak. (Quite a shame that sex appeal is aimed at preteen girls, but that's our world I suppose.) I also think maturity plays a huge part, as HopefulBride pointed out.