An Old School Catholic Message Board

Jason Evert On The Differences Between Men And Women Concerning Music

PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest

[quote name='CherieMadame' timestamp='1331515691' post='2399276']
I don't think what Jason Evert is pointing out has anything to do with musical tastes per se. I think the reason why girls like the Jonas Brothers is because of their "sex appeal," so-to-speak. (Quite a shame that sex appeal is aimed at preteen girls, but that's our world I suppose.) I also think maturity plays a huge part, as HopefulBride pointed out.
[/quote]

Well, girls are more inclined to listen to softer music, while men prefer extravagantly loud and heavy music. Sometimes men prefer soft music and women prefer the harder louder music, but this usually isn't the case.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1331441277' post='2398975']
I think he couldn't be further from the truth on it. As he says, "They are so different. There is a reason there is not equivalence of the Jonas Brothers for men. You'll never hear a man go *Effeminate voice* "Oh my gosh, Hannah Montana is coming to town! I am like, such a fan!" And then then hear the guy next to him go "Oh my gosh, like, I am too!" *Other guy gasps* "Let's be best friends forever!"
[/quote]

I could quote what the equivalent for teenage boys is but I am loath to repeat anything so vulgar. And they don't even grow out of it like women grow grow out of being silly.

Note: I was never silly shrieking teenager. My sister says I went straight from child to adult, I skipped teenager altogether. Also, 'meh' on the whole Iron Maiden front. Replace with Black Rebel Motorcycle club and I'm with you. And I hate Lady Gaga.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1331506310' post='2399191']
Will you act this way when I am a Religious or a Priest (Or possibly both)? Because if not, my ordination/final vows cannot come soon enough.
[/quote]
I have to say that people treated me in a less persecuting way before I came back to my discernment... Sadly... Especially extended family. I just wouldn't expect for the general population to treat you better as a priest, expect worse.

Anywho, the peeps on Phatmass are trying to help you, and trust me, I know that sometimes when someone is trying to help you, it feels very attacking. I know because I am an young one too. I just think sometimes us young ones could do ourselves a favor and chill.

[quote name='FutureCarmeliteClaire' timestamp='1331516342' post='2399288']
I have to say that people treated me in a less persecuting way before I came back to my discernment... Sadly... Especially extended family. I just wouldn't expect for the general population to treat you better as a priest, expect worse.

Anywho, the peeps on Phatmass are trying to help you, and trust me, I know that sometimes when someone is trying to help you, it feels very attacking. I know because I am an young one too. I just think sometimes us young ones could do ourselves a favor and chill.
[/quote]

When you're young you think "those old folk don't understand me, they're just saying that because I'm younger" and when you get older you think "aw aren't they cute they think they know what they're talking about". No matter how old you are you always think you're right. :hehe:

My 21st birthday is this week so I'm feeling old.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1331517904' post='2399299']
When you're young you think "those old folk don't understand me, they're just saying that because I'm younger" and when you get older you think "aw aren't they cute they think they know what they're talking about". No matter how old you are you always think you're right. :hehe:

My 21st birthday is this week so I'm feeling old.
[/quote]

Let it be noted that by Jewish standards I am a man. My Catholic "Bar-Mitsvah" (Meaning Confirmation) took place when I was thirteen.

Now that it's noted that I have been an old geezer for two years now, I would like to personally say that I am always right. My views are ever-changing, my preferences inconsistent, my future never certain, and I have problems speaking at times. Anything going for me? I like dang good.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1331518989' post='2399310']
Let it be noted that by Jewish standards I am a man. My Catholic "Bar-Mitsvah" (Meaning Confirmation) took place when I was thirteen.

Now that it's noted that I have been an old geezer for two years now, I would like to personally say that I am always right. My views are ever-changing, my preferences inconsistent, my future never certain, and I have problems speaking at times. Anything going for me? I like dang good.
[/quote]

Thirteen? Is that when you're supposed to take Confirmation? I took all my sacraments at jumbled ages, I only took First Communion when I was 13. I was a grand old 17 by the time I made it to Confirmation.

Okay, you know what? I'm sick of this. All I was trying to do was be funny and do something that nobody would freak out about, but all I hear is "Headline news: men and women different!" I've had enough of this behavior towards me. Will you act this way when I am a Religious or a Priest (Or possibly both)? Because if not, my ordination/final vows cannot come soon enough.
[/quote]
isn't that a kind of clericalism?

here's a good article on what i mean: http://www.firstthings.com/article/2008/02/clerical-scandal-and-the-scandal-of-clericalism-14

[quote]“By clericalism,” Shaw writes, “I mean an elitist mindset, together with structures and patterns of behavior corresponding to it, which takes it for ­granted that clerics—in the Catholic context, mainly bishops and priests—are intrinsically superior to the other members of the Church and deserve automatic deference. Passivity and dependence are the laity's lot. By no means is clericalism confined to clerics themselves. The clericalist mindset is widely shared by Catholic lay people.”[/quote]

Basilisa Marie

[/quote]

Confirmation doesn't make you an adult in the Church. It's more just "baptism pt 2." I'm not saying this to rag on you personally or anything - loads of people don't realize it's not supposed to be some kind of maturity rite. :) Confirmation is "normally" supposed to happen before first communion, but it rarely does anymore in the US. I was 16 when I was confirmed, but after that my diocese moved it down to 8th grade. In a way, Confirmation is more of a sacrament in search of theology, because it means a lot of very different things for a lot of different people throughout history.

Personally, I try not to treat priests or religious differently just because they're priests or religious. As a laywoman (who will probably remain so), I have a respect for priests because of their intense theological and spiritual training, the good ones completely dedicate their lives to the Church, and because said training usually gives them good insights into problems and such. It's the experience I respect more than the office itself, in a way. Like, I have a heck of a lot of respect for cappie because his posts are usually fan-freaking-tastic - not just because he's a priest, but because he knows things. :) I view it more as respecting the office or vows because of what they mean, not just for themselves, if that makes any sense.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1331523345' post='2399377']
Confirmation doesn't make you an adult in the Church. It's more just "baptism pt 2." I'm not saying this to rag on you personally or anything - loads of people don't realize it's not supposed to be some kind of maturity rite. :) Confirmation is "normally" supposed to happen before first communion, but it rarely does anymore in the US. I was 16 when I was confirmed, but after that my diocese moved it down to 8th grade. In a way, Confirmation is more of a sacrament in search of theology, because it means a lot of very different things for a lot of different people throughout history.

Personally, I try not to treat priests or religious differently just because they're priests or religious. As a laywoman (who will probably remain so), I have a respect for priests because of their intense theological and spiritual training, the good ones completely dedicate their lives to the Church, and because said training usually gives them good insights into problems and such. It's the experience I respect more than the office itself, in a way. Like, I have a heck of a lot of respect for cappie because his posts are usually fan-freaking-tastic - not just because he's a priest, but because he knows things. :) I view it more as respecting the office or vows because of what they mean, not just for themselves, if that makes any sense.
[/quote]

Oh, I know it's not. I just like to pretend. :P

I know. I was simply frustrated. Technically, you should treat Priests differently than others. They are, after all, another Christ. I hope you hold Jesus Christ and his Priests much higher than I. I was simply curious if people would still continue to critique me is all. A person critiquing a Priest is a weird thought, to be honest. "Father, might I say that this doesn't seem right. You have a lot of maturing to do!" :P

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1331512873' post='2399239']
I'm not demanding respect for a position. I'm asking if people will treat me differently because of my vocation.
[/quote]

Not if you continue to lash out against anyone who tries to correct you. Humility is a sign of maturity.

If you want to be a priest, humility will be a huge asset to you. The best leaders are the ones that can look at their actions and say they were wrong. Take responsibility for what they've done, whether its good or bad, that's just the start. A priest is a father and a shepherd, a leader in every sense of the word.

I was 15 once, it was a good time, but I was a prideful kid who knew everything about everything, I was going to be a lawyer and I was 100% sure about it.

12 years later the amount of things I don't know far outweigh those that I do, I have a degree in business management and work at a retail store. I have no desire to go to law school any more. So much for everything I knew at 15....

I think it's time to stop waving this "future priest" flag. Just because you've made up your mind on it, won't make it so. You'll need to interview with bishops and religious superiors and vocational directors. There's just as much discernment on your part to serve the Church in this way as there is on the Church's part in allowing you to serve her in that way.

I think it's wonderful that you are considering the vocation, the Church desperately needs good priests. I'll pray for your discernment.

Everybody seems to be snippy lately. Eat some chocolate (unless you gave it up for lent. If that's the case, eat a snickerdoodle.) and breathe.

Vincent Vega

Okay, you know what? I'm sick of this. All I was trying to do was be funny and do something that nobody would freak out about, but all I hear is "Headline news: men and women different!" I've had enough of this behavior towards me. Will you act this way when I am a Religious or a Priest (Or possibly both)? Because if not, my ordination/final vows cannot come soon enough.
[/quote]
Somehow I don't see someone like Fr. Cappie posting a bizarre pseudo-quote about how Jason Evert thinks chicks dig Justin Bieber...

Vincent Vega

Let it be noted that by Jewish standards I am a man. My Catholic "Bar-Mitsvah" (Meaning Confirmation) took place when I was thirteen.[/quote]
I don't care who you are, that's funny.

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1331525842' post='2399404']
I don't care who you are, that's funny.
[/quote]

I guess by Jewish standards I wasn't a man until I was 23 then.... :|

Vincent Vega

[quote name='SaintOlaf' timestamp='1331525949' post='2399406']
I guess by Jewish standards I wasn't a man until I was 23 then.... :|
[/quote]
I don't think you get a bar mitzvah without a bris, so I've got bad news for several hundred million alleged "men" out there...