An Old School Catholic Message Board

Jason Evert On The Differences Between Men And Women Concerning Music

PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest

[quote name='SaintOlaf' timestamp='1331524764' post='2399393']
Not if you continue to lash out against anyone who tries to correct you. Humility is a sign of maturity.

If you want to be a priest, humility will be a huge asset to you. The best leaders are the ones that can look at their actions and say they were wrong. Take responsibility for what they've done, whether its good or bad, that's just the start. A priest is a father and a shepherd, a leader in every sense of the word.

I was 15 once, it was a good time, but I was a prideful kid who knew everything about everything, I was going to be a lawyer and I was 100% sure about it.

12 years later the amount of things I don't know far outweigh those that I do, I have a degree in business management and work at a retail store. I have no desire to go to law school any more. So much for everything I knew at 15....

I think it's time to stop waving this "future priest" flag. Just because you've made up your mind on it, won't make it so. You'll need to interview with bishops and religious superiors and vocational directors. There's just as much discernment on your part to serve the Church in this way as there is on the Church's part in allowing you to serve her in that way.

I think it's wonderful that you are considering the vocation, the Church desperately needs good priests. I'll pray for your discernment.
[/quote]

I have not decided my vocation, first of all. I am always confused as to what I'm supposed to do. Sometimes I think the Diocesan Priesthood, sometimes I think the Religious life. It fluctuates. I don't have the authority to decide my vocation anyway.

I'm not being snappy because people are correcting me. I'd have to be snappy in the first place, and I am not even in the least bit angry or frustrated at this moment. I'm simply confused, because when people correct me and I do what they tell me to do, they still correct me and get angry, even though I did exactly what they said to do. Imagine me yelling at you about how your name is Saint Olaf, and so you change it to make me happy, and in response I yell at you because it's no longer Saint Olaf. It's no fun and I have no clue what to do.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1331527173' post='2399425']
I'm simply confused, because when people correct me and I do what they tell me to do, they still correct me and get angry, even though I did exactly what they said to do. Imagine me yelling at you about how your name is Saint Olaf, and so you change it to make me happy, and in response I yell at you because it's no longer Saint Olaf. It's no fun and I have no clue what to do.
[/quote]

I think you need to learn to separate the advice from the circumstances. Sometimes simply complying isn't enough, you need to take into account what the overall objective is. If someone tries to reprimand you for wearing shoes on the carpet, simply taking them off isn't enough if the next time you're over you still wear your shoes on the carpet. Learning from advice is what the issue has been as far as I can see. You move yourself around so exactly to the letter of the request, but you don't take into account what is actually being said and how to avoid conflicts in the future by utilizing that knowledge you gained earlier.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1331516049' post='2399282']

Well, girls are more inclined to listen to softer music, while men prefer extravagantly loud and heavy music. Sometimes men prefer soft music and women prefer the harder louder music, but this usually isn't the case.
[/quote]

Oh sweetheart I disagree with that. In my experience that's not the case at all; it's pretty equal what men and women listen to. Maybe that seems a typical thing to assume, but in actual practice it doesn't work that way, not in today's world.

I'm not saying I agree with it; personally I prefer sacred music. But I know plenty of men and women who like all sorts of music: hard, soft, and everything in between.

rhetor4christ

[quote name='mcts' timestamp='1331482944' post='2399077']
I'm much more likely to listen to the Iron Maiden song than the Katy Perry song. For real.
[/quote]

Me too. Every single day, in fact :)

rhetor4christ

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1331506310' post='2399191']
Okay, you know what? I'm sick of this. All I was trying to do was be funny and do something that nobody would freak out about, but all I hear is "Headline news: men and women different!" I've had enough of this behavior towards me. Will you act this way when I am a Religious or a Priest (Or possibly both)? Because if not, my ordination/final vows cannot come soon enough.
[/quote]

I'm not sure how making stereotypical references about men and women is either a.) funny or b.) something that the folks here would not find problematic and/or would not comment honestly and truthfully about. Lesson learned? know your audience.

Basilisa Marie

[quote name='CherieMadame' timestamp='1331541818' post='2399491']
Oh sweetheart I disagree with that. In my experience that's not the case at all; it's pretty equal what men and women listen to. Maybe that seems a typical thing to assume, but in actual practice it doesn't work that way, not in today's world.

I'm not saying I agree with it; personally I prefer sacred music. But I know plenty of men and women who like all sorts of music: hard, soft, and everything in between.
[/quote]

In high school, whenever we'd have a sub in German class we'd just have a lot of independent worksheets and stuff to do. So the five of us would get into our teacher's stereo system and put on some music...usually someone brought Rammstein with them.

Then I started learning more German, and realized what the lyrics actually were. :shocking: Dirty German Heavy Metal/Industrial for sure. Luckily they have a few songs that aren't quite as...shockingly explicit...that I don't feel bad listening to. :)

MissScripture

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1331506310' post='2399191']
Okay, you know what? I'm sick of this. All I was trying to do was be funny and do something that nobody would freak out about, but all I hear is "Headline news: men and women different!" I've had enough of this behavior towards me. Will you act this way when I am a Religious or a Priest (Or possibly both)? Because if not, my ordination/final vows cannot come soon enough.
[/quote]
What are you sick of? People were giving their opinions, like you asked for in you first post, and this is how you responded. No one was freaking out. They were just posting their thoughts on the matter. If you don't want opinions, then you probably shouldn't ask for them...

Anytime you say something in public, whether it be online or in person, you're taking a gamble at how people will respond. Some topics are less of a gamble than others. This one was a bit more. Honestly, considering how some people here are, I'm surprised it wasn't derailed a lot sooner.

fides' Jack

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1331519140' post='2399313']
Thirteen? Is that when you're supposed to take Confirmation? I took all my sacraments at jumbled ages, I only took First Communion when I was 13. I was a grand old 17 by the time I made it to Confirmation.
[/quote]

I think I was about 13 for my first Confirmation. The 2nd time around I was probably 16 or 17.

For me, my taste in music depends mostly on my mood.

I can go back and forth between some pretty hard rock and Enya.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1331527173' post='2399425']
I have not decided my vocation, first of all. I am always confused as to what I'm supposed to do. Sometimes I think the Diocesan Priesthood, sometimes I think the Religious life. It fluctuates. I don't have the authority to decide my vocation anyway.

I'm not being snappy because people are correcting me. I'd have to be snappy in the first place, and I am not even in the least bit angry or frustrated at this moment. I'm simply confused, because when people correct me and I do what they tell me to do, they still correct me and get angry, even though I did exactly what they said to do. Imagine me yelling at you about how your name is Saint Olaf, and so you change it to make me happy, and in response I yell at you because it's no longer Saint Olaf. It's no fun and I have no clue what to do.
[/quote]

No one was angry with you. If anything they were mocking Jason Evert. Remember how you keep saying you wish people would ask you if you really mean XYZ instead of jumping all over you and getting mad? Pot meet the kettle. Every time someone posts something that disagrees with what you've said you accuse them of being angry with you and yelling at you. It's simply not the case. Sometimes, probably, but not every time. You want us to give you the benefit of a doubt, how about you do the same for us.

[quote name='mcts' timestamp='1331525501' post='2399400']
Everybody seems to be snippy lately.
[/quote]

Shut up.

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1331582590' post='2399730']
shut your face.
[/quote]

So...it's come to this...

[img]http://cpgizziwpenginecom.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/wpid-Photo-Feb-28-2012-959-AM.jpg[/img]

brianthephysicist

[quote name='mcts' timestamp='1331571858' post='2399626']
Anytime you say something in public, whether it be online or in person, you're taking a gamble at how people will respond. Some topics are less of a gamble than others. This one was a bit more. Honestly, considering how some people here are, I'm surprised it wasn't derailed a lot sooner.
[/quote]
Also, something helpful to remember is that it's not just about [i]not doing[/i] certain things, but it's also about [i]doing[/i] certain things (just think about the difference between abstaining from sex and practicing chastity). Often I will watch other posters to gauge how certain topics and/or tones of speech are received by both individuals and by the board as a whole.

Plus if you wanna post something that's closer to a sure bet, I'm sure you'll find plenty of fun here: [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/117305-are-you-the-type-of-pony-everypony-should-know/"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/117305-are-you-the-type-of-pony-everypony-should-know/[/url]