GAHH, she looks 15.

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1332388689' post='2405154']
GAHH, she looks 15.
[/quote]

She looks 9!

[quote name='FutureCarmeliteClaire' timestamp='1332387192' post='2405124']
She was 17 when she entered. :)
[/quote]

Wow really? I've never heard of a community allowing entrants so young, most seem to limit it to 18. She must only be like 18 now then, depending how long their postulancy is?

Kayte Postle

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1332423492' post='2405286']
Wow really? I've never heard of a community allowing entrants so young, most seem to limit it to 18. She must only be like 18 now then, depending how long their postulancy is?
[/quote]

I think that some communities can make exceptions with their age requirements (up or down). I know DSMME had a postulant several years ago that was 16 when she entered.

Well, if the candidate graduated at 16 or 17 (I graduate at 17 bc I started school early) they usually make an exception. All depends on maturity.

truthfinder

Within in Canon law, a novice must be 16. So the community can make the postulancy long enough to fill that goal. That is how in the past some sisters entered at 14. Not very common at all now, but 17 is not unheard of - as this nun is obviously evidence of that.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1332423492' post='2405286']
[/quote]
She had graduated already. Quite a few orders I have talked to allow postulents as long as they have graduated.

[quote name='FutureCarmeliteClaire' timestamp='1332450846' post='2405538']
She had graduated already. Quite a few orders I have talked to allow postulents as long as they have graduated.
[/quote]

Ah okay. I guessed she must have finished high school, was she home-schooled?
It's so amazing though that she entered so young. I was on CAF and someone was saying about religious life and how all nuns are really old and I just thought "they've clearly never been on Phatmass!"

Strictlyinkblot

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1332450616' post='2405530']
So, I read the title of this thread as "Poor Clare Clothing Company." :hehe2:

[/quote]

Now, that I'd like to see

Pax_et bonum

[img]http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/521638_397316103629698_100000539352602_1394745_151938408_a.jpg[/img] [img]http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/531310_397312243630084_100000539352602_1394735_1543601027_a.jpg[/img]

[img]http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/s720x720/539788_397312096963432_100000539352602_1394734_278620865_n.jpg[/img]

Pax_et bonum

[b]To Die or not to Die[/b]
[quote]
5th Sunday of Lent, Year B
Jn. 12:20-33
Jesus says to us, “Truly, truly I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit”. There are many ways for us to fall. We can be struck down by illness, beaten down by adversity, tripped by an unseen obstacle or felled by our own human weakness. But there is only one way to die in the sense that our Lord uses the word here. In order to pass over the threshold into a new and fruitful life, we must freely abandon our old life through the willing acceptance of the pain this relinquishing entails. If we do not, then like a seed which never sprouts, we will simply rot away. We will forever be alone; alone with our precious selves, our horded up “life” that we end up losing anyway because we never gave it away to another, or to the wholly Other.

This timeless truth of the spiritual life is well symbolized by the Poor Clare investiture ceremony. Last Sunday, our then Postulant Joscelyn was dressed in a bride’s white finery as an image of her youthful life.

Then the earth colored Poor Clare habit was placed over her, and sheltered by this modest tent, she quickly slipped out of her gown and let it fall to the ground. Holding on to the hand of Mother Abbess, she then stepped over the bridal dress, and with that step, entered a new life. At the completion of the ceremony, Joscelyn received her new name, Sister Mary Angelique of the Infant Jesus, leaving behind her worldly identity to become the Bride of Christ and to participate with Him in His mission to redeem the world by willingly sharing in His passion through prayer and penance as a Poor Clare Nun.

Sister Angelique has said yes to the call of God, has died and risen; but this is only the beginning. Day by day she will have ample opportunity to renew her yes, her dying and her rising. Just as the bride of an earthly husband abandons the carefree independence of girlhood and must be faithful to a new life of mature responsibility, so must a Poor Clare. All women are called to the fruitful gift of self, only the mode is different according to each one’s vocation. Each day we are called to a new life, but only on the condition that we die to the old. If we agree to die through love, we will be united to the one we love and will bear abundant fruit. If we refuse, we will be alone. That kind of aloneness is more deadly than physical death. Scripture says that “for the sake of the joy which lay before Him, Christ endured the Cross, heedless of its shame”. Let us choose life and not be afraid of the suffering it involves. Its worth it!
[/quote]

FiatVoluntasTua

@Pax_et bonam:
Thank you for the passage!

The Gospel message of today is fitting. I loved the last paragraph of the excerpt... "All women are called to the fruitful gift of self, only the mode is different according to each one’s vocation. Each day we are called to a new life, but only on the condition that we die to the old. If we agree to die through love, we will be united to the one we love and will bear abundant fruit." A very thoughtful lesson!

• 2 weeks later...
Chiquitunga

Meant to post here before .. Pax_et bonum thank you so much for sharing this! The pictures are great!! :love:

Pax_et bonum

I'm glad you like the pictures. I had been wondering if people didn't really care cause it's not like most people here know her and just found it annoying that I keep posting stuff about her. On that note:

With her family :)
[img]http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/p480x480/539609_390576250955398_100000090782458_1503074_1699256251_n.jpg[/img]

Sorry it's so big, I don't know how to change that.
[img]http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/528355_390576040955419_100000090782458_1503070_1640735522_n.jpg[/img]