An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Secret Pasts Of Phatmassers

Nihil Obstat

Nihil Obstat

So I was practicing my internet snooping skills and found out some eminently interesting facts. As you all know, we PMers grow and change just like everyone else. Well I've found a very rare, very important video that will allow you to see the young versions of three Phatmassers we all know and love.
Back when they were attending Mumbai University together, MIkolbe, Winchester, and Jaime had a little bit of a band going. It's a bit of a secret, they don't really go spreading it around, but they were actually pretty famous for a while. In fact they're often credited as pioneers of the bhangra style.
A few things you will notice immediately: Jason's voice has dropped quite a bit since his college years. We can probably blame the six packs a day he smoked between the ages of 25 and 30, and possibly also the hormone treatments, but as you can see at the age of 22 he was quite a fine specimen, with a pristine voice and a lovely, tasteful, and modest blue dress. I haven't seen that dress before myself, but I'm sure it's in the back of his closet somewhere.
Winchester, unfortunately, ditched the lovely shiny gold jacket and those sunglasses. I guess you could say that somewhere along the way he sold out and forgot his roots. Although I'm sure we'll all admit that the toupee was a pretty solid idea on his part, which my sources tell me he obtained shortly after this video was shot.
Of course there isn't much to say about Jaime that hasn't already been said. As you can see, even back in college he was quite the ladies' man.
The three of them will never tell you this, but I'm more than willing to bet that they've kept in practice with those dance moves. Buy them a couple drinks and I'm pretty sure they'll be willing to treat us to an amazing reunion rendition of their #1 hit single, Saadi Marzi.

Without further introduction I present to you Jason Jaime and Winnie:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F4-W1Hsy9M[/media]

Edited by Nihil Obstat

Nihil Obstat

If you're watching closely, you will of course notice Laudate_Dominum and Mark of the Cross in the background. In fact they didn't even know each other at the time. Mark of the Cross had just joined the dance troupe of which Laudate_Dominum was the acting choreographer, and when Jason saw them perform at the Bellagio he knew that he had to hire them for his next video. Their manager, who I'm sure we all know already was USAirwaysIHS, wasn't sure if the gig was legit or not until he saw Winchester's golden sport coat. I guess you could say that it sealed the deal for him.

Nihil Obstat

Here's a fun bit of trivia:

Most of Saadi Marzi was shot on the grounds of a villa belonging to none other than Socrates. He doesn't appear in the video, but if you're paying attention you will notice the distinctive and often-copied architecture of his custom-designed home. Socrates in fact has a second career as a famous architect who simply goes by the name of "The Builder". He's been quoted in nearly every architectural textbook ever written (including the ones written before he was born in 1783). He's pretty humble about it, and it took me hours to put the pieces together. But the second I saw that unmistakable "Socrates Lattice Wall" I knew it had to be him.

[quote name='SaintOlaf' timestamp='1331876372' post='2401704']
I think you should take this narrative and make it into a graphic novel :popcorn:
[/quote]

Unfortunately I'm quite bad at drawing. :( I could write the script though, if someone is a good illustrator!

Edited by Nihil Obstat

Nihil Obstat

Now here's a piece of the story that's going to really blow your minds.
Back when CatherineM was working on the Nuremberg prosecution of Rudolph Hess, she was feeling pretty depressed given the graphic and brutal nature of the case. Finally after a long day of studying evidence and interviewing potential witnesses, she had just about had enough and was seriously contemplating quitting and getting back into the florist business. Deciding to take a break, she turned on her laptop and opened up Youtube, planning on watching the great old Keyboard Cat. Except by a fortuitous typo, her search actually brought her straight to Saadi Marzi!
Well the song was so powerful that it gave her the strength to continue her work and bring all the Nazi war criminals to justice. After the trials concluded she sent an email to Jason thanking him for recording the song that gave her the inspiration to keep pushing. Well, Jason of course was touched by this. He sent his secretary to track down CatherineM so that he could give her a signed 8x10 glossy of the band. The secretary was none other than Catherine's future husband, and they lived happily ever after in balmy Edmonton!

Nihil Obstat

The rumour is that Luigi's first kiss with his future wife Princess Daisy was at his high school prom where this was the concluding romantic song for all the lovebirds. ;) Well we all know how *that* story ends, because he proposed to her then and there on the dance floor when the song ended. :love:

Nihil Obstat

L_D's and Mark's dance troupe was, of course, already quite famous for their role in the unforgettable and wildly popular Renaissance music scenes from the court of King Matthias of Hungary. Their part starts at 10:05, and ends at 14:22.
This scene in particular is generally considered to be the inspiration for Fred Astaire to take up dancing, though he never did get to meet his idols. :( Rumour has it that he kept their poster in his room until the day he died.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi5NADUQT3k&t=10m5s[/media]

Nihil Obstat

While Jason and Jaime faded into relative obscurity after their college years, Winnie in fact recorded two more hits.
Moskau took the music world by storm. Nobody was quite sure whether the music was more genius, or the choreography. The fashion world was astonished at the astute use of colour and texture in their costume designs. There was serious talk by MGM of producing a feature-length movie based on the song, and in fact negotiated for the rights, but Winnie knew deep down that if he released artistic control the song would never truly belong to him again. The artistic world thanks him for such a hard decision.
The dancing in Moskau especially is generally regarded as a defining moment in 20th century choreography. It would be hard to name a single work of art in the last 100 years that has not been shaped in some way by the stunningly unique and practically superhuman blend of artistry and charisma that came intuitively to Winchester.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQAKRw6mToA[/media]

His other hit came three years later, although all of you are already familiar with the great Ievan Polkka. Winchester's peerless diction and heartbreaking expressiveness are cited as major influences by Marilyn Manson, Mike Stipe, and Edvard Khil. The only shame is how overplayed this song has been in the last two decades. It seems like you can't turn on a single popular music station without hearing Ievan Polkka. Winchester often says in interviews that he feels like it cheapens his message of goodwill, harmony, and windmills to be so overplayed.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN4cLlIKnoA[/media]

Edited by Nihil Obstat

Laptops hadn't been invented when I practiced law. As to my husband making a good secretary, I fluffy air extraction in your general direction.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1331911162' post='2401811']
Laptops hadn't been invented when I practiced law. As to my husband making a good secretary, I fluffy air extraction in your general direction.
[/quote]

:secret: Young people believe that laptops, email, and ipods have always existed. Don't try to tell them differently.